Ross Els to meet with Bo today about LB position.

What were Ekeler's qualifications? He didn't have any. Bo is a defensive guru. He sees and understands things that others don't. I trust him to get the right fit here. And remember that Bo himself was a linebackers coach for awhile and I'm sure he will provide who ever gets the job with some insight.

And look where Ekeler ended up.

What really disappoints me about this potential hire is it seems we have two choices here. Nevermind talking about top coaches, we have Doug Colman, a guy that did great work here in '08 and '09 and was great with the LBs. A young guy that doesn't have much of a resume but could be moving on up the coaching ranks. He has some pretty eclectic experience in just a short time, and is credited both for his work with our linebackers in 2009 (Dillard in particular) and with a solid recruiting reputation, to go along with getting us ins with New Jersey. He is a young guy that could be primed for something good and should be getting better jobs than he has now in the future. This is his first year as a LBs coach.

Els is several years older with a much longer resume, but he is just a linebackers coach at Ohio University and has been for six seasons. That and I don't know anything about him! Carl knows him from Ohio, I guess.

So someone should fill me in with some positive buzz about Els, or I'm going to be sour about this hire, especially after finally warming up to the idea of Colman.

"Screw the top guys in the business, we shouldn't even waste our time with them."

From that comment, you seem to be butthurt that Bo isn't going for a "top guy" hence you thinking you know better.

He was joking. He's not butthurt. I know it's fun to toss around the "butthurt" accusation, but you're off base here. It was a joke, nothing more.

Don't crucify the guy because his joke wasn't funny.

I thought it was funny. Maybe that's just me seeing through the sarcasm though. Some people have a VERY hard time with that.

I should have said, "Don't crucify him because you thought it wasn't funny." I thought it was funny, too.

I sensed the joke, and the sarcasm. My point is that he thinks that Bo isn't going after the right guys, therefore.. thinking he knows better than the coach and AD himself.

If Bo wants a guy then I trust him to pick the right person, and considering I'm not a coach, it's not my place to criticize.

Relax folks. None of us know who Bo may have contacted and never will. So feeling better you knew we tried to get the "top" LB coaches does you no good. You will never know. No reason to make assumptions either way. I don't know why people are concerned that out LB coach may not have enough star power. Perhaps rivals could rank them for us. The current defensive staff is not much on star power but the have done a really nice job. Bo will hire who he thinks is the best guy for the job. Having ties to Carl is a big plus because they know more about him than the LB coach from Whateverschoolmakesyouhappy U. Having ties to Nebraksa means the guy understands the unique situation that is Nebraska. That helps them be prepared for what they have to deal with when they get here. Neither of those ties are a requirement but they do help when evaluating candidates.

I want the new LB coach to be good at coaching, recruiting, and working with the other coaches that are on this coaching staff. Where he comes from makes no difference to me.

Good Post!

One of the best reasons for giving bonus points to a coaching applicant that has Nebraska ties is the decreased chance that they'd want to leave for another job.

Not saying it should be the main criteria, but...

One of the best reasons for giving bonus points to a coaching applicant that has Nebraska ties is the decreased chance that they'd want to leave for another job.

It is a completely horrible reason in my opinion. But it does seem to be part of the criteria...I couldn't say.

Never have a worse staff than you could have just so you can have that lesser staff for a longer time.

If an assistant/positions coach really knocks it out of the park, he's going to move up the rankings. That's a fact, these days, whether they are Nebraska guys or not. If they aren't going to get a better job here than positions coach, they'll find one elsewhere when everyone starts calling.

And if they are just average, why do we want them sticking around?

It is a completely horrible reason in my opinion. But it does seem to be part of the criteria...I couldn't say.

Never have a worse staff than you could have just so you can have that lesser staff for a longer time.

If an assistant/positions coach really knocks it out of the park, he's going to move up the rankings. That's a fact, these days, whether they are Nebraska guys or not. If they aren't going to get a better job here than positions coach, they'll find one elsewhere when everyone starts calling.

And if they are just average, why do we want them sticking around?

Not what I meant at all.

It's just that it's almost a forgon conclusion that Bo will take the OSU job if/when offered by several around here anyway..But if he was already the coach there, do you think we could ever scrape up enough money to lure him away from his Alma Mater?

No, but I don't think that would have been a reason to go with Turner Gill instead :P

Sorry, that wasn't directed towards you - just my thoughts on getting coaches here who are likely to stay when it means not going after a perhaps better coach. Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all, or something like that :P

No, but I don't think that would have been a reason to go with Turner Gill instead :P

Sorry, that wasn't directed towards you - just my thoughts on getting coaches here who are likely to stay when it means not going after a perhaps better coach. Better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all, or something like that :P

But to "outsiders", What is the draw to Nebraska?..

The only thing I miss about the place is the people..Sure isn't the white skies 6-8 months out of the year. Or what we're usually willing to pay.

But to "outsiders", What is the draw to Nebraska?..

The only thing I miss about the place is the people..Sure isn't the white skies 6-8 months out of the year. Or what we're usually willing to pay.

Because out of 120 coaching positions in the nation, Nebraska (regardless of location) is better than 100 of them hands down, and arguably better than another 12-15. USC, Texas, Alabama, Florida - probably better gigs based on location, recruiting, money, etc. Ohio State - would fall in that arguably group. Nebraska isn't the best - but the grass isn't a lot greener anywhere else.

EDIT: I have a similar opinion of Nebraska as you do. But...I've never lived in Lincoln making 2.5 million a year either - might be a little better under those circumstances :)

Bo made all of his decisions based on a slow, thought out, fair and logical examination of everything. It's not like we made a list of people with Nebraska ties. Coaching is about chemistry friendships and ties. The right choices are being made and the right people are being looked at. Nothing said on huskerboard will affect pelinis decisions. Relax. Enjoy the results and don't dwell on the negative.

Bo made all of his decisions based on a slow, thought out, fair and logical examination of everything. It's not like we made a list of people with Nebraska ties. Coaching is about chemistry friendships and ties. The right choices are being made and the right people are being looked at. Nothing said on huskerboard will affect pelinis decisions. Relax. Enjoy the results and don't dwell on the negative.

damn - i thought all my opinions were fed directly to the athletic department. no wonder this is a free site - i still feel ripped off though. :sarcasm

wow, i thought Bo's salwater aquarium guy was in the Bahama's looking for some new fish for the tank?

If that logic doesn't include a new coordinator and at least one position coach, then we need to call it something else.