Brown to retire??

The initial word I heard from a friend of mine that usually knows this stuff before it's made public had Watson and Gilmore definitely out and possibly Sanders and Brown too. I told him I understood the Wats and Gil part, but said he was crazy about Sanders and Brown. My exact words were, "Barney would go before them!" But maybe it's not too crazy after all seeing that Sanders is gone.

I understand that Ron Brown has been on the staff for a long time but I don't see him as very hard to replace. He is definitely a good recruiter for religious kids, but for every one of them there are a few for whom his message is a turn off. I know I would definitely be turned off by it.

I think a lot of people would be turned off by it, but if you have a kid who is very religious then you send him in and he talks about religion. If he's recruiting a kid who isn't religious, then you don't push hard on that.

Recruiting is like relationships. You say what you think will get that person to like you (the school), you don't bring up things that will piss them off. If you have enough qualities the person admires, they may go for you.

Once you get the recruit to sign (the wedding), then you tell the truth (let go of a coach). Signed sealed delivered. Now parting ways will get messy...

Still married myself, fwiw.

i CANNOT believe we have 18 threads on "integrity", "honesty", coaches being fired for off field transgressions, allegations that Carl is quite crazy on the road, etc etc...and here's a coach, for better or worse wears his Christianity on his sleeve and some people see it as baggage.

not saying christians are perfect, but last I knew, we didn't have much trouble with Brown being caught with other women, getting DUI, yelling excessively at players on TV, etc etc...

un-be-liev-able. "the Nebraska way", lol...you can't have it both ways

• Fire 2

i CANNOT believe we have 18 threads on "integrity", "honesty", coaches being fired for off field transgressions, allegations that Carl is quite crazy on the road, etc etc...and here's a coach, for better or worse wears his Christianity on his sleeve and some people see it as baggage.

not saying christians are perfect, but last I knew, we didn't have much trouble with Brown being caught with other women, getting DUI, yelling excessively at players on TV, etc etc...

un-be-liev-able. "the Nebraska way", lol...you can't have it both ways

Fully agree. Some people just like to bitch. This is a great coach and an even better person. Let's start showing him some respect.

• Fire 1

Coach Brown, along with any other evangelical Christian that desires to live their life the way they're instructed to, treats believers differently than nonbelievers, which is to say if he is recruiting or interacting with a kid either in high school or on the roster that has the same Jesus-based faith (Aaron Green, Rex Burkhead, Prince Amukamara, Roy Helu, Eric Hagg, etc.) then naturally, and Biblically, they are a family and he includes discipling and providing fellowship in his job description. If players/students do not share the same faith, he doesn't care about them any less, he just cares about them in a different fashion by expecting and encouraging their absolute best and still loving them just the way they are.

You are dreaming if you think Brown leaving this staff will have ANY positive impact on our program.

• Fire 2

For the record, I never said that Brown potentially leaving is a positive, just that I don't think it's that big of a negative if he does go. He's a fine coach and I have great respect for him in that aspect of his life. The other stuff? Not so much. As a TE coach, I don't think we'd have a hard time filling that void. There's no question that his faith is valued by some players and recruits, but I don't see its absence as being a major detriment to our ability to recruit good football players, christian or other otherwise.

I never said he was a bad dude, just that I don't like the christ-on-his-sleeve business. That's hardly a scathing attack.

For the record, I never said that Brown potentially leaving is a positive, just that I don't think it's that big of a negative if he does go. He's a fine coach and I have great respect for him in that aspect of his life. The other stuff? Not so much. As a TE coach, I don't think we'd have a hard time filling that void. There's no question that his faith is valued by some players and recruits, but I don't see its absence as being a major detriment to our ability to recruit good football players, christian or other otherwise.

I never said he was a bad dude, just that I don't like the christ-on-his-sleeve business. That's hardly a scathing attack.

Without Ron Brown I bet you money we don't get commitments from Rex Burkhead or Aaron Green, probably Andrew Green as well, and who knows who else. I respectfully disagree with you. Even aside from his faith, don't you guys remember the article that cited him freaking out in '08 towards a player, "WE DON'T RUN OUT OF BOUNDS AT NEBRASKA!" The guys' energy and passion for what's right is a priceless asset, I feel.

...don't you guys remember the article that cited him freaking out in '08 towards a player, "WE DON'T RUN OUT OF BOUNDS AT NEBRASKA!" The guys' energy and passion for what's right is a priceless asset, I feel.

That's the kind of stuff that falls under the category of being a fine coach. As I stated before, I have tremendous respect for that.

Ron Brown personifies Nebraska Football. Anyone thinking his departure is "no big deal" should seriously consider becoming a fan of another team.

Overreact much? I see things differently than you, so I should forget the team I've been rabid about for 38 years? Right...

Ron Brown personifies Nebraska Football. Anyone thinking his departure is "no big deal" should seriously consider becoming a fan of another team.

+1 Well said ......stated as a true Nebraskan. For the people who think Nebraska should be less preachy....Have you ever heard Dr. Tom speak? If you don't agree with the faith that's cool but you have to agree that the morals and examples set my "true" men of faith is incredible.

Ron Brown's spirituality is a big part of what makes him a great coach, and anybody who thinks that spirit can't translate to people of other faiths doesn't truly understand spirituality.

Furthermore, Ron Brown understands the culture of Nebraska football. Not only did he say, "We don't run out of bounds at Nebraska!" but also, "We don't call for a fair catch at Nebraska!" He's the only coach leftover from Camelot, Osborne's golden era, and the only one left that truly understands what that was and what it stood for.

Ron Brown would be a tremendous loss, another huge setback as we continue to search for our former identity.

• Fire 1

Overreact much?

That is exactly what most of us thought when you had your fit. ;)

Oh, puh-lease. Could you direct my attention to where I had anything resembling a "fit" on this or any other thread since I've been posting here? I merely expressed my opinion, in a rather calm manner, mind you, that I don't think that Brown's potential departure is as big of a deal as some of you do. Perspective, friend. You need some.