LJS: Beck used to taking on a challenge

Nexus

The assignment if he should choose to accept it: Build a program from scratch. Make football matter in one of those few Texas towns where it usually hadn't.

Mansfield had a new high school in town. Now it needed a coach. A winner.

Debbie Weems, the athletic director for the Mansfield Independent School District, knew immediately that's what she had when Tim Beck showed up in 2002.

Continue Reading

Well, he couldn't be as bad as Watson could he? If he fails it could mean Pelini's head. This was Bo's chance to go out and get a legit OC. To me it just seems like we're settling on Beck. If Beck was "the guy" we wouldn't have needed to search around. Time will tell I guess. I will be very, very disappointed if it is Beck, but I wish him the best, and hope he can turn this thing around.

Well, he couldn't be as bad as Watson could he? If he fails it could mean Pelini's head. This was Bo's chance to go out and get a legit OC. To me it just seems like we're settling on Beck. If Beck was "the guy" we wouldn't have needed to search around. Time will tell I guess. I will be very, very disappointed if it is Beck, but I wish him the best, and hope he can turn this thing around.

Actually this isn't true it's been speculated that Frost didn't come here because we didn't offer him the OC job. Beck becoming the OC has been decided along time ago possibly all the way back in 08'. Beck is a great hire and a guy who deserves a chance.

Actually this isn't true it's been speculated that Frost didn't come here because we didn't offer him the OC job. Beck becoming the OC has been decided along time ago possibly all the way back in 08'. Beck is a great hire and a guy who deserves a chance.

If it's true Bo has enough faith in Tim that he didn't even look around for an OC, that will certainly ease my worries some. I'll still be disappointed. I was really hoping we would go out and get a legit, proven coordinator or at least a Beck/Frost combo.

If it's true Bo has enough faith in Tim that he didn't even look around for an OC, that will certainly ease my worries some. I'll still be disappointed. I was really hoping we would go out and get a legit, proven coordinator or at least a Beck/Frost combo.

Look at it this way i'm not too sure there is anything about Frost's resume that says he's ready to be a OC. The only reason this board was pumped to get him is because of his past with Nebraska over a decade ago. Had he been just some WR coach for a few years at Oregon then onto Nebraska to be the OC we'd be scratching our heads.

Heres something else I'd like to add at this point I don't even give a damn about the scheme. I'd love for our offense to go back to the fundamentals mainly holding onto the. We can have the best scheme in the world but when you put the ball on the ground as much as our offense has the last few years scheme is a moot point.

• Fire 1

I firmly believe that games are most often won and lost in the trenches. There are exceptions, always fluky things, but that is something you can generally count on. We've seen it on the defensive side of the ball with Suh and Crick and Allen and *Colt McCoy's scalp two years ago, we saw it when we were three All-Conference players deep at every offensive line position during the 90's.

Barney Cotton has undisciplined units. I remember when people were talking about how Matt O'Hanlon lost the V-Tech game for us, and I thought, gee, that was one play. I remember the o-line imploding over a series of multiple plays in the red zone costing us points that were the eventual margin of defeat in the game.

How many times has the O-line had a critical false start over the last few years? Holding calls? Just general bad pass blocking?

I'm totally open-minded on Beck. He could be great. I feel like I've already seen the Barney show. I'm not sure he can produce anything different than what he already has, and what he's brought to the table thus far has been less than staggering.

Edited

*Just realized that it was probably a mistake to reference a game we lost when trying to illustrate how line dominance translates to victories. I'll attempt to qualify my statement and cover my tracks by saying that I mentioned fluky things, and I guess the fluky thing in that game was that our offense was exceptionally incompetent. But then....they were consistently awful the whole '09 season, weren't they? So that doesn't really fall under the "fluke" category either, does it? I'll continue this schizophrenic argument internally from here on out, sorry for the strange, noisy disturbance... :lol:

• Fire 2

Totes agree. This whole "let's give this guy a chance, let's give that guy a chance" mentality could very well mean mediocrity for the next decade, should these guys pan out to be... eh, not so great. If Bo's going to throw all his eggs in one basket on a gamble à la Taylor Martinez, then so be it. I just hope he doesn't make excuses if and when that hammer drops. Here's what I don't get: people say that Mark Mangino's offenses wouldn't work at Nebraska, because it contrasts with the direction Bo wants to take the program (also, they usually tack on a shot at his weight, which makes me shake my head). Well, what makes Beck the Spread guru all of a sudden? His only coordinating experience was in Mangino's offense. I seriously don't get why people are so gaga over Tim Beck... I really, really don't.

Well, what makes Beck the Spread guru all of a sudden? His only coordinating experience was in Mangino's offense.

He didn't even call plays during those years.

Wasn't he #3 on that offensive staff behind Mangino and Warinner?

I seriously don't get why people are so gaga over Tim Beck... I really, really don't.

They are gaga over him because he isn't Shawn Watson and because they believe there is no possible way Bo would give the offense over to anybody that couldn't get the job done. <_< I think their gaganess is solely based off of the possibility of hope in the change. Kind of like Obama. :koolaid2:

• Fire 1

Well, his inflated resume on Huskers.com says that he was "pass game coordinator." So what that means, I have no idea. Did it involve formulating plays? Play calling? The execution plays during practice? Who knows...

I'm actually intrigued to see what Beck can put together. I hope it works out.

I hope it works out too. Seems less likely than if we brought in an experienced OC. So... if it works out, great. If it does not, then expect that Bo's whole future as the NU head coach rests on this. If there is not dramatic improvement next season... then expect that Bo will be on the hot seat and given, at best, one more year after that before an entire new staff comes in.

Well, his inflated resume on Huskers.com says that he was "pass game coordinator." So what that means, I have no idea. Did it involve formulating plays? Play calling? The execution plays during practice? Who knows...

I think it is more of a gameplanning thing but I could be wrong on that.

I'm actually intrigued to see what Beck can put together. I hope it works out.

I hope it works out too. Seems less likely than if we brought in an experienced OC. So... if it works out, great. If it does not, then expect that Bo's whole future as the NU head coach rests on this. If there is not dramatic improvement next season... then expect that Bo will be on the hot seat and given, at best, one more year after that before an entire new staff comes in.

lol aren't we all husker fans? I'd like to think that we ALL hope it works out bc otherwise we will still have a crappy offense.

And I wont stand up for that Beck song but Mellow Gold and Odelay are great albums at least.

• Fire 1