LJS: Beck used to taking on a challenge

Nexus

Maybe there are some similarities between Beck and Papuchis, both Bo guys and fairly unknown entities who have seen their stock rise quite a bit. John is probably more nationally known atm than Beck but I only base that on hearing Papuchis' name surface during some of the coaching carousel stuff at UT and UF.

Some people have longer memories than others. Frost was livid about being booed in '96. I bet he's over it, but you never know. One thing Scott does know: Husker fans are fickle. And vocal.

And we have long memories (ie: Penn State 1982).

Maybe there are some similarities between Beck and Papuchis, both Bo guys and fairly unknown entities who have seen their stock rise quite a bit. John is probably more nationally known atm than Beck but I only base that on hearing Papuchis' name surface during some of the coaching carousel stuff at UT and UF.

Some people have longer memories than others. Frost was livid about being booed in '96. I bet he's over it, but you never know. One thing Scott does know: Husker fans are fickle. And vocal.

before i was born

before i was born

I have vivid memories of that game, and that play. Watching on our crappy old bunny-eared TV, standing in the living room with my mouth hanging open in shock.

before i was born

I have vivid memories of that game, and that play. Watching on our crappy old bunny-eared TV, standing in the living room with my mouth hanging open in shock.

Something tells me that game is going to be brought up often over the coming years. That and 1994. One was a legitimate screw-job. The other was handled perfectly. :D

Only Included For The First Sentence, Which is Awesome and Makes Me Smile

• Fire 1

We could bring in Rich Rod, Norm Chow, Urban Meyer, Mangino, Leach, etc. Would it really matter who the OC is when Barney still coaches the OL? Why can't Minnesota take him off our hands like they did with Coz?

Yes it would matter.

Everyone needs to quit acting like the Oline was our only problem on offense. In a lot of games, it was our biggest strength on that side of the ball.

We could bring in Rich Rod, Norm Chow, Urban Meyer, Mangino, Leach, etc. Would it really matter who the OC is when Barney still coaches the OL? Why can't Minnesota take him off our hands like they did with Coz?

Yes it would matter.

Everyone needs to quit acting like the Oline was our only problem on offense. In a lot of games, it was our biggest strength on that side of the ball.

Which games were those? The 4 weak non-conference games? The KSU game where Martinez just flat our ran everyone? The only one I can come up with is the Mizzou game but was that OL play or crappy LB & S play on the part of Mizzou?

Texas – No

A&M – No

OU – No

Wash – No

Yes it would matter.

I must have missed those games - and don't go throwing out K-State or Missouri - where a handful of rushing plays accounted for nearly all of those stats you're about to quote.

Yes it would matter.

Which games were those? The 4 weak non-conference games? The KSU game where Martinez just flat our ran everyone? The only one I can come up with is the Mizzou game but was that OL play or crappy LB & S play on the part of Mizzou?

Texas – No

A&M – No

OU – No

Wash – No

If you're not even willing to give the Oline any credit for a school record rushing performance, it's pretty obvious it's not worth having this discussion.

Yes it would matter.

I must have missed those games - and don't go throwing out K-State or Missouri - where a handful of rushing plays accounted for nearly all of those stats you're about to quote.

And who opened up holes for those long running plays?

Bottom line, when we lined it up in the I or wildcat and ran it down hill, our Oline was down right dominant. When we had our QB and RB standing around in the back field running the zone read, not so dominant. It works against crappy Western Kentucky or Pac 10 defenses. But it doesn't work against the Texas, Oklahoma's and Auburn's of the world. This is more a problem of playcalling.

If you're not even willing to give the Oline any credit for a school record rushing performance, it's pretty obvious it's not worth having this discussion.

Watch their linebackers/safeys get sucked inside biting on the misdirection in each play. Any sound defense would have stuffed these runs after 6 yards. The offensive line wasn't bad in these plays, they did their job - but after the first 5 yards it's on the lack of LBs/S play.

Our OL has had some good performances over the years: the types of games where they have played balls to the wall, with high energy, and physically dominated the opponent.

I think there are any number of coaches that can get a crew of guys to play mean and nasty. It isn't as if we have some scrubs on the line either. Probably harder to get a crew of big, tough 300-lbers to play soft than it is to get them amped up for a game.

The concern is in the OL scheme (incompatible w/ the offense supposedly), and technique (deficient) as well as discipline (it's been killin' us for three years now). And that's the job of the OL coach really.

They did their jobs, exactly my point. I didn't say our Oline was great all year, they were great in some games, good in others, bad in others. Most of it had to do with shoddy play calling and game preparation in my opinion. Washington was embarrassing all across the board. People just refuse to give any credit where it's due around here. God forbid I say the Oline had a great game in the best rushing performance in school HISTORY. Good grief.

Yes it would matter.

And who opened up holes for those long running plays?

Bottom line, when we lined it up in the I or wildcat and ran it down hill, our Oline was down right dominant. When we had our QB and RB standing around in the back field running the zone read, not so dominant. It works against crappy Western Kentucky or Pac 10 defenses. But it doesn't work against the Texas, Oklahoma's and Auburn's of the world. This is more a problem of playcalling.

Now, you're just making our point for us. Barney may do fine in a power running scheme. However, his OL and his capabilities fall flat on their face when running the zone read in the spread offense. Bo's going to run the spread. Barney Cotton is a square peg that Bo can't ram through a round hole. Cotton will handicap Beck or whoever the new OC is because of this.