Rivals.com Top 25 Recruiters list

eoltmer

Well by all I've read on Beck, seems he has had success wherever he gos. Is he ready for this big jump? If he is the man to get the OC job, I hope the fans give him time. Seems some on this board, don't have a lot of patience. How long is long enough 2,3,yrs?

GBR!!!

As to how much time should he be given? Well, For what it is worth, here is my take...

Immediate expectation #1 --- that the whole team... not just the D but the O as well... that the whole team shows up to every game, focused and ready to play with effort (last season, there were but perhaps 2-3 games where both sides, D&O, played hard all 4 quarters; several games, the O never showed up at all, played w/o emotion, w/o effort, w/o seemingly being prepared.. being confused, clueless --- and most games were a mix). You never knew which NU would show up --- would it be the good NU, the modest NU or the crappy NU? It was not a function of the opponent... it was a function of how well the coaches had NU prepared, focused and motivated (or not prepared, focused and motivated). It was just a guess... and it was entirely a coaching thing whereby they (the coaches in general) were horrible at motivating the players. This must change immediately.

Immediate expectation #2 --- that the offense not play like an undisciplined High School team. That is, cut stupid OL penalties in half, cut the unnecessary sacks taken (never throwing the ball away) by 90%, cut the number of fumbles by 50% or more, cut the number of dropped passes in half... and cut out entirely the massive number of times the team scrambled right before the snap trying to figure out who is doing what.

Now, those are the immediate expectations. Even if we do meet these expectations, we have limitations in our OL, with our QB's and with our WR just in terms of balanced skills... so, no one should expect an excellent offense any time soon. No one should expect even a really good offense either. But... play with some heart for a change (Immediate expectation #1) and remove the mistakes (Immediate expectations #2) and we could have a decent to pretty good offense... enough to hang in most games given our defense.

If we do not play with heart... immediately... if we do not cut out the mistakes... immediately --- then evaluate the progress after next season and if there has not been at least solid tangible progress in these areas, then the experiment is over... get a new staff... they all should go, starting with Bo. We cannot expect offensive excellence in the nest 2-3 years... but if you cannot get them playing with heart and w/o mistakes immediately... then what is the likelihood that you'll ever get excellence? So... my take is to measure the heart and the mistakes after year one and then decide what to do then. The metric is heart and mistake-free offense... not excellence (yet... as excellence is not a realistic expectation given where we are currently). This can me measured a year from today. Definitively.

So in a nut shell you want BO to do to the offense what he did to the defense when he first came here. Ah the irony!

Well by all I've read on Beck, seems he has had success wherever he gos. Is he ready for this big jump? If he is the man to get the OC job, I hope the fans give him time. Seems some on this board, don't have a lot of patience. How long is long enough 2,3,yrs?

GBR!!!

As to how much time should he be given? Well, For what it is worth, here is my take...

Immediate expectation #1 --- that the whole team... not just the D but the O as well... that the whole team shows up to every game, focused and ready to play with effort (last season, there were but perhaps 2-3 games where both sides, D&O, played hard all 4 quarters; several games, the O never showed up at all, played w/o emotion, w/o effort, w/o seemingly being prepared.. being confused, clueless --- and most games were a mix). You never knew which NU would show up --- would it be the good NU, the modest NU or the crappy NU? It was not a function of the opponent... it was a function of how well the coaches had NU prepared, focused and motivated (or not prepared, focused and motivated). It was just a guess... and it was entirely a coaching thing whereby they (the coaches in general) were horrible at motivating the players. This must change immediately.

Immediate expectation #2 --- that the offense not play like an undisciplined High School team. That is, cut stupid OL penalties in half, cut the unnecessary sacks taken (never throwing the ball away) by 90%, cut the number of fumbles by 50% or more, cut the number of dropped passes in half... and cut out entirely the massive number of times the team scrambled right before the snap trying to figure out who is doing what.

Now, those are the immediate expectations. Even if we do meet these expectations, we have limitations in our OL, with our QB's and with our WR just in terms of balanced skills... so, no one should expect an excellent offense any time soon. No one should expect even a really good offense either. But... play with some heart for a change (Immediate expectation #1) and remove the mistakes (Immediate expectations #2) and we could have a decent to pretty good offense... enough to hang in most games given our defense.

If we do not play with heart... immediately... if we do not cut out the mistakes... immediately --- then evaluate the progress after next season and if there has not been at least solid tangible progress in these areas, then the experiment is over... get a new staff... they all should go, starting with Bo. We cannot expect offensive excellence in the nest 2-3 years... but if you cannot get them playing with heart and w/o mistakes immediately... then what is the likelihood that you'll ever get excellence? So... my take is to measure the heart and the mistakes after year one and then decide what to do then. The metric is heart and mistake-free offense... not excellence (yet... as excellence is not a realistic expectation given where we are currently). This can me measured a year from today. Definitively.

So in a nut shell you want BO to do to the offense what he did to the defense when he first came here. Ah the irony!

GBR!!!

Not really. Or... yes and no.

I want the new offensive coaching staff to instill discipline in their charges and have them play with heart and w/o excessive mistakes. And yes, Bo did do that with the defense when he came in. In that sense, yes... I expect the same. However... Bo took a putrid defense and made it firstly a good defense.. then a great one.. quickly. That I do not expect with the offense. It would be asking too much. The horses are just not there for such a result-based rapid improvement --- our skill position players, especially at QB and WR are simply not good enough to expect such improvement. But... in the realm of heart and mistake-free football.. yes, we should expect that much.

Coach Beck has done a hell of a job recruiting the Dallas-Fort Worth area for Nebraska. I expect his duties to be drawn back a little bit when he becomes the full-time OC. But, with the added Texas talent to our roster, that should give us a nice leg up on the other big 10 teams.

Last year Beck recruited Ciante Evans, Braylon Heard and Donovan Vestal. In 2009, Rex Burkhead and Dontrayevous Robinson. The guy can flat out recruit. Ask Kansas fans. When he was there he brought in Todd Reesing.

• Fire 1

GBR!!!

How much of all of that really falls on the OC's shoulders? I would say the position coach has a lot more to do with the stupid OL penalties. I would also say the position coaches should have a lot more to do with the fumbles and dropped passes. If and this is a big if we end up starting a QB other than Martinez or Green, it's quite possible that at times our offense will look like a monkey screwing a football out there despite how great the playcalling is.

The thing I expect from the OC is that he along with all of his assistants under him are on the same page. I think it's a little unfair to hitch all problems of the offense to the OC when one unit is failing miserably. It's not the OC's fault if he calls plays where the receivers are wide open but drop the passes. It's not the OC's fault if the OL is beating the QB back in the pocket on three and five step drops. It's not the OC's fault if the running backs put the ball on the turf.

After the 2010 season, it would be really nice to not lead the conference in penalties and not lead the nation in fumbles. I don't even care if the offense ranks in the top 30 nationally as long as they take care of the football and win the field position battle. Against Texas, a Helu fumble puts us 10 down and playing catch up the rest of the game. It would be really nice after going up 17-0 for the offense to not give the game away via turnovers like we did against OU.