Watson to Louisville!

Mosskid84

We will be better without him. C'mon this is simple common sense. With much needed variety and balance we will succeed. The glass is half full.

It's safer to say we wouldn't have improved with him. We have no idea how Beck is going to do. This isn't simple addition by subtraction; Beck could suck, too.

I'm more glad that Watson is gone, because we know for a fact that he wasn't a good fit for this program. But because Watson wasn't a good fit doesn't mean Beck is. Doesn't mean Beck isn't, for that matter. Doesn't have much to do with Beck at all.

Whether our offense succeeds or fails this year has little to do with the fact that Watson wasn't a good fit for this program. Next year we could have an utterly awful offense - it still won't mean that we should have kept Watson. It'll just mean that it's bad again for different reasons.

Well I will just say it. Is Cotton

on the hot seat if his OL doesn't play better this next year, and "can" Bo demote or get rid of him ? He has sons playing for us, former Husker, friend of Tom's. Seems like a touchy problem.

GBR!!!

Well I will just say it. Is Cotton on the hot seat if his OL doesn't play better this next year, and "can" Bo demote or get rid of him ? He has sons playing for us, former Husker, friend of Tom's. Seems like a touchy problem.

It does appear to be a touchy problem. Cotton is having difficulty, that's no secret, and that's entirely why we brought Garrison in. Garrison is, by all accounts, quite the technician on blocking. The guy apparently really knows his stuff, and he's a believer in technique, not just "bull them over" which seems to be Barney's M.O. I think the hire of Garrison is a huge hint that things have to improve, and perhaps it's the first step to the eventual departure of Barney off the line and into the front office.

I have no idea how long Barney wants to keep coaching hands-on. He's a football lifer, so if he leaves the hands-on coaching ranks he's going to want to be in an office position, or he may just move on if he still wants to coach. The reality is that we're easing Garrison into the job. He'll learn on the job under Cotton this year, maybe next year as well, then we'll see where Barney ends up.

Whether our offense succeeds or fails this year has little to do with the fact that Watson wasn't a good fit for this program. Next year we could have an utterly awful offense - it still won't mean that we should have kept Watson. It'll just mean that it's bad again for different reasons.

Or some of the same reasons, as it were.

I still can't see Cotton remaining on the staff as a positive. Guy has struggles and that position is not a seat of privilege. Unless Bo really thinks he's good at doing his job, he should have him reassigned to another position with the AD. What will he tell the two kids? That every coach and player on the team is held to the same standards of accountability, and he won't reserve one of his few assistant coaching spots for the sake of two kids out of a program of over a hundred.

Thank you louisville, now I feel sorry for you. Co and NU wanted to get rid of him for a reason, you would think all others would take note.

they must have - that's why it took so long. It's also why I'm a skeptic when it comes to this theory that it is easier for Watson/Gilmore to find a job when they currently have one. While that might have been the case through December, and it's certainly the case in the corporate world - the coaching world is very small. For a few weeks now most of the world has known Watson/Gilmore don't "really" have jobs. They also know the exact circumpstances they are leaving. It's not like the rest of us leaving a job - their failures have been very publicly reported. I can't see Watson's future as much of a reason for Bo to wait to announce. We all knew - don't you think the school about to pay someone hundreds of thousands of dollars would know? And if not, ask?