Khiry Cooper

After catching 13 passes as a redshirt freshman in 2009, Cooper didn't record a reception this past season.

However, 2011 could be different. Nebraska lost a couple key veteran wide receivers. Cooper, a junior, is a leading candidate to step into a prominent role. His candidacy would be strengthened if he were available for spring drills.

Thing is, Cooper is among the Nebraska baseball team's best outfielders. A 6-foot-3, 205-pound center fielder, he now sticks mostly to baseball in the spring.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_9754fafb-3625-5393-ab58-7462a48e1278.html

Sounds like we wont see much of him in football.

Given the fact that we are installing a brand new offense starting this spring, I am going to agree with you. When he attends practice in the fall, he'll be way behind the curve and quickly passed up by those who already have a leg up in the new system.

I hate how nobody thinks Khiry has a shot to be a major contributor in football because he won't give up baseball. Pretty ironic considering how excited everyone was when he turned down good money to play football and baseball for us. What's even more ironic is everyone wanting Khiry to give up baseball YET still wanting Bubba to come in and play BOTH SPORTS! Bubba should learn from Khiry's situation. Why turn down MAJOR money if you're not going to have a chance to contribute on the football field? I LOVE my Husker's but I think Bubba should go pro.

I'm not so sure. If the offense is simplified away from the west coast principles that require the QB/WR to read the defense as the play goes on, then he might be OK. In other words, now they are responsible for running the route regardless of what the defense is doing, so it's just memorization of the plays/routes, as opposed to having to get the reps in to know how to read the defense.

If Khiry is athletically gifted as we think, I am sure Beck is itching to give him a chance to prove himself on the field. I would hate to see him excel at neither baseball or football because he chose to do both, but it's his choice. I just hopes he puts it all together on the baseball field at the very least, and shows some playmaking ability for football.

We've had some pretty good luch with basebaee players. If my memory serves me right Turner Gill had been drafted as a 3rd baseman before he came to Lincoln. Darrin Erstad the Un-Crowned MVP of the 95 Orange Bowl has had an exceptional baseball career and has also donated a boatload of money to the University.

T_O_B

:bigredn: