Shatel: Pelini says coaching changes weren't fun

Great read. This quote here struck me the most.

“There was such a negative air around everything ... It was his decision as much as anything. He had said, ‘I’ve got to move on.’ You get to the point where you get beat up the way he was getting beat up, I mean, he has goals. He’s done a lot in his career. It had become like the snowball was running so fast, it was out of control. He wanted to remove himself from the situation as much as anything else."

For all those people that criticize every move that Pelini makes, make note, we can cause a coach to want to leave. Yes a lot of people wanted Wats gone...but I take this quote as saying it effects everyone of the coaches. This isn't only an issue with fans hammering him but also the media. It always takes a toll on their opinions and wants concerning their job.

You're exactly right. No other college fanbase out there would have the gall to hammer their coach, and I'm sure there's also no other media that would do that to a coach.

The guy didn't say we were the only fanbase guilty of this, only that we are in fact guilty of it.

Yeah this ^

I know every fanbase does it and they have the right to. What I am saying is no matter what anyone thinks, the fan base and their reaction to things does cause coaches to think this. They are only human and I can see how some of them only can take so much.

I in no way am indicating I think the Husker fan base is more guilty of this then other schools either.

“There was such a negative air around everything ... It was his decision as much as anything. He had said, ‘I’ve got to move on.’ You get to the point where you get beat up the way he was getting beat up, I mean, he has goals. He’s done a lot in his career. It had become like the snowball was running so fast, it was out of control. He wanted to remove himself from the situation as much as anything else."

For all those people that criticize every move that Pelini makes, make note, we can cause a coach to want to leave. Yes a lot of people wanted Wats gone...but I take this quote as saying it effects everyone of the coaches. This isn't only an issue with fans hammering him but also the media. It always takes a toll on their opinions and wants concerning their job.

You're exactly right. No other college fanbase out there would have the gall to hammer their coach, and I'm sure there's also no other media that would do that to a coach.

The guy didn't say we were the only fanbase guilty of this, only that we are in fact guilty of it.

Yeah this ^

I know every fanbase does it and they have the right to. What I am saying is no matter what anyone thinks, the fan base and their reaction to things does cause coaches to think this. They are only human and I can see how some of them only can take so much.

I in no way am indicating I think the Husker fan base is more guilty of this then other schools either.

If the fanbase's reaction to Watson helped drive him off, then fantastic. It's not like we lost an effective coach. Far more often than not, fans are going to complain about bad coaches. Maybe programs should listen to their fans more.

Yeah this ^

If the fanbase's reaction to Watson helped drive him off, then fantastic. It's not like we lost an effective coach. Far more often than not, fans are going to complain about bad coaches. Maybe programs should listen to their fans more.

Yep because we as fans know more then coaches or ADs at top tier DI programs. :sarcasm

I am as glad as you that Wats is gone, but there are reasons why they get paid the millions and we just watch. Fans go to games yes, but I have to think they are a little more qualified to make the decisions on who coaches and who doesn't. We have a right to b*$#h and moan as much as we want but to think that our choice would pan out better then the guys that do this for a living is just wrong. If they took our opinions on hiring coaches and which players to play we would have a new head coach every year, in some cases multiple times during the same year.

Look at Martinez - a couple games into the season you would have seen on this board threads that thought we were witnessing the next coming...a couple weeks later we were hoping that he would leave the team. Hell there were even people calling for Pelini's head after his rants and wanting him gone.

Yeah this ^

So you would have been ok with Tom Osborne going to Colorado?

Yeah this ^

That line ended the discussion :yeah

Yeah this ^

That line ended the discussion :yeah

So you rather had a couple of more years with Callahan? It goes both ways.

It's when you allow the boosters to call the shots when you get in trouble and pressure the AD. TO and Solich come to mind.

Yeah this ^

Again, you're taking things to the extreme. My point is that when the overwhelming majority of fans complain about a coach for an extended period of time, perhaps there's something to those complaints.

I mean, if you asked Husker fans to list their top three worst coaches on the 2010 squad, who would 90% of them have said?

1) Watson

2) Gilmore

3) Cotton

Turns out, two of the three are no longer here, and the third one (Cotton) is so sufficiently surrounded by other assistants/interns that it's evident Pelini recognized that he was a problem too.

So unless you believe that Pelini was pressured into those personnel decisions solely based on pressure from the fanbase (and I doubt you do), this just goes to show that we fans have a bit of insight into something.

I may not have played or coached college football, but I know what good football looks like. And I know I'm not alone. Nor is it a coincidence that the coaches I've detested the most over the past 8 years (Cosgrove, Callahan, Watson, and Gilmore) are no longer with the program. Again, I know I'm not alone.

Yeah this ^

I think there's a lot of truth to that.

SW/Gilmore may very well be good drinking buddies and so on with Bo. But even the most casual fan can see they're simply inept for the job they're making big $$$ to perform.

Kudos to Bo for sacking up and doing the right thing.

Yeah this ^

Then Tom Osborne would have been gone a long time ago, and if he wasn't, Charlie McBride wouldn't have lasted long either.

Charlie McBride wouldn't have lasted long either.

It's almost comical how revered Charlie is today, compared to how badly people hated him in the late 80s. If there had been internet message boards back then we'd have had hundred-page threads two/three times a year screaming for Charlie's head.

• Fire 1

It's almost comical how revered Charlie is today, compared to how badly people hated him in the late 80s. If there had been internet message boards back then we'd have had hundred-page threads two/three times a year screaming for Charlie's head.

Aint that the truth!

The thing about Charlie was the tools he had available. It wasn't just the defense that stunk up the place in the late 80's early 90's. It was the offense as well. We were trying to take slow plowboys and putting them in the skill positions. It worked against the mostly inept Big 8 teams, but it failed miserably against the Miami's and Florida State's with excessive speed at the skill positions. In 88' we lost 23-3, 89' we lost 41-17, 90' we lost 45-21, 91' we lost 22-0, and 92' we lost 27-14. It wasn't just the defense that caused these lopsided losses. It was the overall lack of speed especially at the skill positions. Once TO started to recruit speed and upgrade the tools Charlie had available, well the rest is history.

Yeah this ^

Again, you're taking things to the extreme. My point is that when the overwhelming majority of fans complain about a coach for an extended period of time, perhaps there's something to those complaints.

I mean, if you asked Husker fans to list their top three worst coaches on the 2010 squad, who would 90% of them have said?

1) Watson

2) Gilmore

3) Cotton

Turns out, two of the three are no longer here, and the third one (Cotton) is so sufficiently surrounded by other assistants/interns that it's evident Pelini recognized that he was a problem too.

So unless you believe that Pelini was pressured into those personnel decisions solely based on pressure from the fanbase (and I doubt you do), this just goes to show that we fans have a bit of insight into something.

I may not have played or coached college football, but I know what good football looks like. And I know I'm not alone. Nor is it a coincidence that the coaches I've detested the most over the past 8 years (Cosgrove, Callahan, Watson, and Gilmore) are no longer with the program. Again, I know I'm not alone.

I'm just pointing out that the fans always want someone canned. And maybe Cotton can be a better coach now that he has as many assistants as that bum Milt Tenopir....