Brasketball in the Big Ten?

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been trying to learn up on you Huskers in every way I can and I'd like you guys to help me get a feel for how you guys think you will do next year playing against Big Ten teams.

Do you guys think you match up pretty well and immediately make a splash and contend to make a run at the Big Ten title in the tourney at the end of the season or do you all foresee yourselves struggling and dwelling closer to the bottom.

Looking forward to knowing my new brethren better!

I've been trying to learn up on you Huskers in every way I can and I'd like you guys to help me get a feel for how you guys think you will do next year playing against Big Ten teams.

Do you guys think you match up pretty well and immediately make a splash and contend to make a run at the Big Ten title in the tourney at the end of the season or do you all foresee yourselves struggling and dwelling closer to the bottom.

Looking forward to knowing my new brethren better!

Well we are losing our best player in Lance Jeter, so we will not have any leadership next year. Also, most likely Almeida and Diaz will play again next year, so our post play will be the worst in the conference (100% guaranteed). We aren't getting any special top recruits this year, so pretty much what I'm saying is that we will get murdered pretty much every conference game. Looking forward to it. :sarcasm

I think at this time and within the near future that Nebraskaball will struggle however, the new arena and new basketball training facility will do two things.

1. Show to the recruits that Nebraska is pushing its basketball programs to be more competitive

and..

2. Will allow Nebraska to approach a higher level recruit.

I think the long range future is looking up but I am concerned about Doc's ability to recruit the east coast. If he finds a method to do so, Nebraskaball will improve exponentially.

As long as we have Doc we will never do better than top 4. We can't do anything in games that matter and we are piss poor in the clutch. Diaz will probably get murdered inside, that is if he is still on this team next year, because the Big 10 is a more physical, slower-paced tempo then here in the Big 12.

Probably be about the same as the B12. I guess we're in the middle 4 of the B12, but close to the bottom 4. (Definitely bottom 4 last year. Bottom 1 in fact.)

If we could just land 2 or 3 hidden gem recruits we could break through. (And if I could just pick 5 or 6 little two-digit numbers I could win $100 million.)

Is it possible that the move to the Big Ten makes Nebraska a bit more sexy to recruits/coaches and allows you to potentially acquire higher tier players and up and coming coaches? From your comments so far I can see this as seriously helping the program by being part of a more prestigious conference, right?

Yes.

This is how it works right now: Doc has to recruit Big 12 caliber players from the midwest, we all know you're not gonna get an East coast kid to come to Nebraska and play midwest teams. The neighboring states are Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado. Those states don't produce enough D-I talent for KU and Mizzou, let alone KSU and then the rest. So Doc has to go into states with an abundance of talent (Texas) and lure them away from teams like Baylor, TTech, etc. Good luck with that.

In the B10 you have states like Ohio and Indiana and Michigan and even some East coast influence that are full of D-I talent. Right now those kids won't come to NU cause they'll never play close to home, but once NU is in the B10 they can tell these kids that OSU, MSU, etc. pass on "hey, they didn't want you, but we do. come play for us, your parents will see you on the B10 network and you'll get your shot at all these schools that passed on you." It won't lead to top 150 recruits most likely, but it will lead to a team of 3 stars with potential and time to develop, rather than one 3 star, 2 jucos and a handful of garbage walk-ons every year. NU has lost games this year by 1,1,3,3,4,4 and 8 points. ONE kid, ONE, that can create his own shot potentially wins every one of those games. That's 24 points away from a 26 win season. The shift in recruiting will help bring in one of these kids. Luring a kid from Detroit to Lincoln is much easier than luring one from Houston to Lincoln.

Also, the bottom 4 in the B10 are BAD. The middle 4 are not great. NU will be nowhere near the top 4, but they'll certainly be in contention for 6 or 7 place finish. No doubt in my mind.

So in other words, things are potentially looking bright for the Huskerballers (please excuse my nicknames, just getting a feel for your school teams).

I'm very much looking forward to the Nebrasketballers coming and trying to establish themselves in the conference. How nice would it be for you all to come in and knock off some of the top tier teams in the conference as a first introduction? I think that would be great to be honest. I wouldn't mind seeing you guys start off a heated rivalry by means of taking it to an unsuspecting Wisky or Purdue team. I'll leave my bucks out of that because their my pride and joy but then again I wouldn't be against respectively rooting for the Husker demise for 40 minutes if it meant we got to engage in an epic battle.

I think the move to the big 10 should have occurred as soon as the big 12 was formed. Nebraska just fits into the big 10.

The benefits are huge both in sports and academics. Also, as previously mentioned, the big 10 network will only aid in recruiting. (Especially in BBall and Football)

add in the natural rivalry with Iowa and the past history with Iowa State, Kansas/K State and it places NU in a very high profile position. The media will watch as much as the fans do. Nationally, there will be a split on those who want NU to have success and those who will rejoice with every loss. This, if played right by the coaches, is a very strong recruitment tool. (Tell/show the recruits the media and exploit the haters. Come here and you'll be seen by everyone. More television, more high profile games etc. Exploit it much like the hated Yankee's have for years.)

Do I expect to see immediate success? No, I expect the weight of leaving old traditions to creating new traditions wearing heavily on the youth who play the sport but in time (3-4 years), I think many fans in Big 10 (especially OSU, Michigan, PSU) realizing that NU is more then talk. Our athletic program, fan base and alumni are proud. We support our University with a vigor that few institutions can match and we (the fans) do truly consider ourselves a intricate component of the athletic program. When our boys/girls step on the field of play we (the state, the fans, alumni) step on that same field with them.

Additionally, Nebraska has long been considered one of the top venues in "all sports" mostly as a result of their hospitality and respect of others. The Big 10 universities embrace and mirror this as well. Rivalries exist but so to does respect. Arrogance is rarely seen in the Big 10 and it is such a breath of fresh air...

Huskers will not disappoint. This I can say with absolute certainty.

• Fire 1

I think the move to the big 10 should have occurred as soon as the big 12 was formed. Nebraska just fits into the big 10.

The benefits are huge both in sports and academics. Also, as previously mentioned, the big 10 network will only aid in recruiting. (Especially in BBall and Football)

add in the natural rivalry with Iowa and the past history with Iowa State, Kansas/K State and it places NU in a very high profile position. The media will watch as much as the fans do. Nationally, there will be a split on those who want NU to have success and those who will rejoice with every loss. This, if played right by the coaches, is a very strong recruitment tool. (Tell/show the recruits the media and exploit the haters. Come here and you'll be seen by everyone. More television, more high profile games etc. Exploit it much like the hated Yankee's have for years.)

Do I expect to see immediate success? No, I expect the weight of leaving old traditions to creating new traditions wearing heavily on the youth who play the sport but in time (3-4 years), I think many fans in Big 10 (especially OSU, Michigan, PSU) realizing that NU is more then talk. Our athletic program, fan base and alumni are proud. We support our University with a vigor that few institutions can match and we (the fans) do truly consider ourselves a intricate component of the athletic program. When our boys/girls step on the field of play we (the state, the fans, alumni) step on that same field with them.

Additionally, Nebraska has long been considered one of the top venues in "all sports" mostly as a result of their hospitality and respect of others. The Big 10 universities embrace and mirror this as well. Rivalries exist but so to does respect. Arrogance is rarely seen in the Big 10 and it is such a breath of fresh air...

Huskers will not disappoint. This I can say with absolute certainty.

Great post! Seems as though Jim Delany (Conference Prez) picked a good on that will fit in juuuuuust right.

The only thing I will guarantee about Nebrasketball in the B1G is that we will own Iowa.

Iowa has a tradition of putting good players on the basketball floor even if they have been down the last few years. With SADler as coach and recruiter we will be lucky to go 50/50 with Iowa. Teams like OSU, MU, MSU, Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, and even Northwestern and Minnesota will eat our lunch. New facilities won't lure top prospects to Lincoln and any ups we get from the new facilities will be negated by the winter weather. SADler needs to be replaced. As I said the other day why not try a hot HS coach who sends lots of his players on to play in college. I don't think it could get much worse.

T_O_B

:bigredn: