UNO is dropping football and wrestling

Trev Alberts and Chancellor Christensen are doing the right thing, giving you a chance to donate to save the wrestling program.

I applaud the efforts of the people running that website. But unfortunately Alberts and Christensen aren't "giving" anyone a chance to save the program. The website has emails of Senators and Regents to change their minds. A website run by the AD and Chancellor would not have that info, they've already made their decision.

In the end, this website may actually raise a lot of money. Sadly everyone involved in making the decision will say, "Thanks, but no thanks. We are moving on to our new conference home and focus our energies at being competitive in our conference sanctioned sports at the D1 level"

The decision has been made by the chancellor and AD, and reports also say the Board of Regents will approve. Sorry folks, it's done.

It isn't a new site and wasn't created just for this cause.

UNL has one of the RARE athletic departments that is profitable. Without Husker football, the whole department would be a drain like most other A.D's.

If we should cut football and westling at UNO because they are a drain on the taxpayers, we better start looking at cutting all sports at the highschool level.

I never knew that Husker Mens: Golf, Gymnastics, Swimming, Basketball, etc were turning profits.

Don't kid yourselves, this is all politics and the powers that be are scared of little UNO taking anything from Husker football.

UNO's wrestling team has actually won 3 in a row...and 6 out of the last 8 Wrestling championships.

I'm more mad about that then I am their football program because the wrestling program at UNO completely paid for itself, they did all the fundraising and the university didn't have to spend a dime.

I is a shame that this had to happen, mostly due to Tile VII (or is it 9) requirements. Too bad for the wrestling program huge loss.

it would be fiscally retarded to keep money pits like UNO football/wrestling.

Yeah, that 21K a year is a real sinkhole. UNOs AD will be back in the black in no time thanks to this. :sarcasm

I'm not sure where you get that "21k" figure. Here's what the Gateway reports...

...the athletic department is losing $296,000 per year from the sport, despite what Alberts called "phenomenal" fundraising efforts...

And

[Alberts] pointed to Iowa's ($1,650,000) and Nebraska's ($1,003,000) wrestling budgets to show that the new UNO Division I wrestling budget would need to be doubled in order to maintain a championship-caliber program at the next level.

Das Link

I'm not sure where you get that "21k" figure. Here's what the Gateway reports...

From an initial interview with Coach Denney. Here

I guess it comes down to who you trust and believe. I've known Sensei Denney since I was 8 and I know the kind of person he is. Granted, I haven't known Trev most of my life, but he seems to be dealing with this situation in a less than truthful manner.

I do find it amusing that you're using The Gateway for as a source of info. Do you really think the a student paper would be allowed to print something contrary to what the admins are telling us?

I have a class taught by coach Denney, and no the wrestling budget is $21,000 which is actually $1000 less than when he arrived in 1978. They fund raise all of their budget basically. Nebraska wrestling actually runs on about $400,000 a year. So the team would basically have double their fundraising and they would be fine giving them a budget of about 250-300,000.

I guess it comes down to who you trust and believe. I've known Sensei Denney since I was 8 and I know the kind of person he is. Granted, I haven't known Trev most of my life, but he seems to be dealing with this situation in a less than truthful manner.

I do find it amusing that you're using The Gateway for as a source of info. Do you really think the a student paper would be allowed to print something contrary to what the admins are telling us?

I find it amusing that you call Mike Denney "Sensei."

Alright, well if you don't believe UNO's student paper to be a credible source of information, then how about the University of Nebraska's General Operating Budget for 2009-2010?

GOB pdf

If you look on page 393, UNO wrestling's total budget for '09-'10 was $217,248... Maybe Denney-san just misread where the comma went.

Alright, well if you don't believe UNO's student paper to be a credible source of information, then how about the University of Nebraska's General Operating Budget for 2009-2010?

GOB pdf

If you look on page 393, UNO wrestling's total budget for '09-'10 was $217,248... Maybe Denney-san just misread where the comma went.

Yes you're correct that's what they spend. what you don't understand is that the wrestling team provides the money for all but 21,000 of that through fundraising. It doesn't matter if their operating cost was $5,000,000 because the school only provides $21,000 from it's beginning of the year budget then team makes the rest of it through fundraising. You've just shown a sheet showing how much they raise which is around 190k. the school still has to report that money on the costs even if the team off sets it.

GOB pdf

Yes you're correct that's what they spend. what you don't understand is that the wrestling team provides the money for all but 21,000 of that through fundraising. It doesn't matter if their operating cost was $5,000,000 because the school only provides $21,000 from it's beginning of the year budget then team makes the rest of it through fundraising. You've just shown a sheet showing how much they raise which is around 190k. the school still has to report that money on the costs even if the team off sets it.

Excuse me, but that doesn't seem to make any sense. Why would the University of Nebraska include funds generated independently into its projected fiscal budget? Also, where in that entire document does it show any kind of figure representing fund-raising? Where do you see anything to support your claim that they receive only $21,000 initially? Where is any official documentation of their fund-raising amounts?

Because it's not raised independently, it's raised and officially given to UNO athletics, but used specifically for wrestling. I don't have any desire to go looking for the documents because that would just be a waste of my time, seeing as how it won't change or effect the situation in anyway. They can't just ignore the costs since they were funded in a different way, which is why it's on the cost of operation sheet. If you have the desire go ahead and look for a fundraising report and let us know what is says

Because it's not raised independently, it's raised and officially given to UNO athletics, but used specifically for wrestling. I don't have any desire to go looking for the documents because that would just be a waste of my time, seeing as how it won't change or effect the situation in anyway. They can't just ignore the costs since they were funded in a different way, which is why it's on the cost of operation sheet. If you have the desire go ahead and look for a fundraising report and let us know what is says

I'll keep my eye out for one. I'd like to see some kind of document addressing the matter, since I've heard a lot of hoopla in regard to UNO wrestling fund-raising as of late (on both sides of the issue), but haven't seen much in the form of documentation or anything other than anecdotal evidence.

There's a perception that UNO's big brother, the mighty Huskers up the road, are a villain in this story. The theory is Alberts would never get the NU Board of Regents' approval to move UNO football to Division I, where it would compete with the NU athletic department's golden goose. No problem. The Summit League doesn't offer football (or wrestling).

LINK (I just got around to ready Sip's article today)

So, it turns out that Trev's hands were tied. It was the evil UNL that killed UNO fb/w. Damn you to hell UNL! ( /insert sarcasm emoti here/)