Cotton welcomes help in trenches

Nexus

Barney Cotton is an old-school, no-excuses sort of offensive line coach.

So he'll never complain about Nebraska's coaching setup the past three seasons.

But he found it "interesting" not having a graduate assistant to help him, Cotton says. "Interesting" is as far as he'll go. It was "interesting" because in his previous years in the business, as an offensive coordinator/offensive line coach at four separate stops -- including a single-season stint at Nebraska in 2003 -- Cotton always had help from a graduate assistant coaching the line.

Continue Reading

However, for the past three seasons, Nebraska's graduate assistant on offense worked with the skill positions.

Really now.

What was Garrison doing last year?

But he found it "interesting" not having a graduate assistant to help him, Cotton says. "Interesting" is as far as he'll go.

I'd be much more down for a pity party here, if he hadn't had Milt Tenopir bending over backwards to help him. Clearly Barney did not have enough help at his disposal and made the best using all of what he had....................

Pretty sure he was talking about how he and the other coaches would go about splitting the reps in the drills among the three of them. Cotton had said how he could take RGs and RTs, Garrison has Cs and LG's and then LT's and TE's with Vince Marrow and then switch the combos amongst the coaches. That is what he was referring to when he said they'd make it up as they go.

He had help last year. But he'll have even more help this season with not only Garrison staying but with new GA Brendan Stai as well.

But I do like that we're back to the 2 OL Coach system.. when you think about it it just makes sense.

You have 11 players play every offensive snap, 5 of which are on the line EVERY snap.

Not counting the scout team,

The QB Coach has 3-5 guys to worry about in practice and only 1 on the field each snap

The HB coach has 4-6 guys to worry about in practice and between 1 and 3 on the field each snap

The TE coach has 3-6 guys to worry about in practice and 1-2 guys on the field each snap

The WR coach has 6-9 guys to worry about in practice and 2-3 guys on the field each snap

The OL Coach has 10-12 guys to worry about in practice and 5 guys on the field each snap.

The O-Line is nearly double the work of every other position yet traditionally in football One guy is supposed to take care of the entire unit?

He had help last year. But he'll have even more help this season with not only Garrison staying but with new GA Brendan Stai as well.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Wasn't Garrison on this staff as a GA/football intern from 2008-2010? He's been working with the OL, at least last year he was. And now Barney comes out and say "I had no help", when his one of his "new" helpers is exactly his old helper, only now in a position that demands to be acknowledged.

Someone correct me here, because this makes no sense.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Wasn't Garrison on this staff as a GA/football intern from 2008-2010? He's been working with the OL, at least last year he was. And now Barney comes out and say "I had no help", when his one of his "new" helpers is exactly his old helper, only now in a position that demands to be acknowledged.

Someone correct me here, because this makes no sense.

He was an intern last year, which is technically not the same as a graduate assistant. Not disagreeing with your general point, but Barney is technically correct.