Shatel: Martinez must take the next step

Nexus

Funny thing is I never gave 2 shi!* if a QB gave and interview, and I don't recall looking forward to them until I was told by the media that this is important. I suppose I took it for granted that QB's did this and in the future I should add this to my things to expect from a QB list. For now the way I see it the head coach and OC have given only a few more interviews than the QB and I can live with that. I think I read that he played hurt so that is a good thing. If he plays great when healthy it will be great and I do hope that he grows up some. I recall a husker legend named Suh who would head off the field as the seconds ticked off the clock but the media looked at this as fun because they had to try and chase him. Of course at the end of the day Suh was well spoken and did show up after games (good and bad_ to give and interview and T-mart does not. I guess I don't care as much about the interview as I do the game that was just lost, and I want to see the coaches grilled on play calling, motivation ect. As for me his "Next Step" better be a return to the quick "First Step".

I think the real question for most should be, hope Beck can use an injured Taylor better than Watson did. An eventuality we may or may not ever even see.

no, the real question should be, can Beck develop a decent back up qb, so he doesn't have to play a gimpy one?...if you are hurt and continue to play week after week, you never heal up and that was evident last season, TM never fully healed up, even though Bo said he was fine.... <_< ......i didn't much care for that crap either.

I think the real question for most should be, hope Beck can use an injured Taylor better than Watson did. An eventuality we may or may not ever even see.

no, the real question should be, can Beck develop a decent back up qb, so he doesn't have to play a gimpy one?...if you are hurt and continue to play week after week, you never heal up and that was evident last season, TM never fully healed up, even though Bo said he was fine.... <_< ......i didn't much care for that crap either.

Yep. A qb with two bad wheels just isn't to hack it. We surely "should" be past that now with the talented new qbs we have. If Beck does a decent job with the qbs that in itself would be a terrific upgrade.

I just hope Martinez can be developed this off-season and over the next 2 years. In the past, we have had problems developing QBs throughout their tenure here. Cody Green has only made small steps towards improvement since he stepped foot on campus. IMO, you could say that Zach Lee might have matured, but never really developed. I would even branch out to say that Joey Ganz developed only slightly through his career if at all. Ganz, however, had great football smarts and made very few boneheaded mistakes.

We can only hope that the lack of QB development in the past can be blamed on Shawn Watson. Good position coaches should be able to take in raw talent, like Martinez, and mold them into proficient athletes in a year or two. Some players (Rex Burkhead) can come in straight out of high school and not require very much development (granted, the transition from high school to college is more difficult for a QB than a RB).

Hopefully our revamped offensive staff can truly develop young players to an elite level, and in a timely fashion. Only time will tell.

Last season, T.M. was one of the top RS freshmen athletes I've ever seen on a football field. Needs polishing, and an offense actually suited to his particular talents - all no doubt, but dang that kid can go. His quickness at the trigger position puts a ton of pressure on a defense, and if he can manage to improve his ball skills over time, and stay upright, look the f@ck out, big ten. SPEED KILLS.