Buying a new Verizon phone....

Any updates Husker_Richard

Yep, I went with the Droid X and I'm loving it so far. The physical keys on the Droid X sold me. It's a little large and I'm getting used to handling it, but that is about my only complaint. I kinda noticed the added bulk in my pocket at first (keep in mind, I switched from a TINY Palm Pixi Plus) but as the day wore on, I stopped noticing it. I'm sure the Fascinate would've felt better in my hand/pocket, but I like the larger screen on the Droid X. Trade-offs....

Battery has been good so far, used it moderately at work the other day and it was only down to 70% at the end of the work day (7:30 AM-6 PM). Hard to judge the battery otherwise as when I'm home, I'm always playing around with it and it tends to drain the battery (I realize this is an unrealistic test because in daily life, I'll never use it this much).

I did some research and decided against an app killer as the Andriod OS is equipped to manage its own memory.

Went with a silicone protective case and it adds little to no bulk, but it doesn't fit quite correctly on one edge and its not a huge deal but it drives me crazy. I'm gonna try taking it off and putting it back on to see if that fixes it.

Love the microUSB charger port as my previous phone had that, so I now have 3 chargers (two previously from Palm Pixi Plus and one that came with the Droid X). Already had a car charger before purchasing the Droid X so I was glad that still worked with it. Minor gripe about the Droid X charger is that the cord is ridiculously short! Huge fail there, but I use my other charger so I don't really care.

All told, I'm really, really happy with the phone. It does more than I could have ever imagined. Its GPS turn-by-turn navigation is better than my Garmin! I love how customizable the phone is. You can really make it your own based on how you use your phone and what you feel is necessary. Thanks to all for the advice, I'm really glad I pulled the trigger on this one.

• 4 weeks later...

***Bump***

I had a buddy of mine get the Thunderbolt and he loves it. I asked him about the battery issues and he said it does drain a little faster than his last phone, but he reasoned that he has a car charger, wall charger, etc so it doesn't matter. That's no bueno for me. I keep thinking "why have a 'wireless' phone when you have to plug it in all the time?"

Anywho, I desperately need to get a new phone. I'm on my second Eris and I'm about ready to put it through the wall because it's so freaking glitchy.

Would y'all recommend the Droid X or should I suck it up for a couple months and wait for some new ones to come out?

***Bump***

I had a buddy of mine get the Thunderbolt and he loves it. I asked him about the battery issues and he said it does drain a little faster than his last phone, but he reasoned that he has a car charger, wall charger, etc so it doesn't matter. That's no bueno for me. I keep thinking "why have a 'wireless' phone when you have to plug it in all the time?"

Anywho, I desperately need to get a new phone. I'm on my second Eris and I'm about ready to put it through the wall because it's so freaking glitchy.

Would y'all recommend the Droid X or should I suck it up for a couple months and wait for some new ones to come out?

The Droid X is a pretty sick phone. I am very pleased with my decision.

IMO, the top 2 Verizon phones at the moment are the Droid X and the Samsung Fascinate. Go to a local store and play around with both. They are extremely similar, with only a few differences that have been discussed above (physical keys, phone size, etc.).

Of course, you could always wait a few months and see what comes out, but if you're dying for a new phone then you can't go wrong with either the Droid X or the Samsung Fascinate.

IMO, the top 2 Verizon phones at the moment are the Droid X and the Samsung Fascinate iPhone 4. Go to a local store and play around with both. They are extremely similar, with only a few differences that have been discussed above (physical keys, phone size, etc.).

Of course, you could always wait a few months and see what comes out, but if you're dying for a new phone then you can't go wrong with either the Droid X or the Samsung Fascinate.

Fixed it for ya lol. Serious the top two phones right now are the iPhone 4 and Droid X. I've heard the battery problems with the Thunderbolt and also a lot of complaints on no sound while recording video and 4G eating up the battery if the 3G hasn't done it already.

Two days ago on April 21, the Samsung Fascinate FINALLY got the 2.2 update also known as Froyo. If you haven't been following that then I'll explain myself. The Droid 1, 2, Droid X, and the Droid Incredible all had the Froyo update for almost a YEAR before the Fascinate finally got the update. All those phones I just listed are suppose to get the Gingerbread update in a few weeks or another month lol. Samsung is horrible about updating their phones and a huge reason why I'll never buy another Samsung phone.

Seriously the Droid X and the iPhone 4 are the best on the market with Verizon. I've read too many bad things about the Thunderbolt.

Here's a good website to read up on the Android phones and the iPhone.

Droidforums.net - Android

iPhoneforums.net - iPhone

Hey GSG5545 here is a video that I took using my iPhone 4 make sure to switch the quality from 360 to 720 HD. I think the quality is top notch and I've very happy with it. Also I just found out that I can auto focus while recording.

That's pretty solid dude. I don't know if I could get an iPhone though. It was really hard for me to break down and buy an iPod lol

That's pretty solid dude. I don't know if I could get an iPhone though. It was really hard for me to break down and buy an iPod lol

Thats fine you pick the phone that you think you'll be comfortable with. I would suggest to head down to your local Verizon store and mess around with every smartphone they have if you're going the smartphone route. I'd mess with the sound volume, picture and video quality, sliding the pages from side to side and see if it feels right some smartphones are solid while others tend to lag. Try messing around with the texting too if you do a lot of that.

Right now I believe on the Thunderbolt you don't have to pay for the 4G but thats suppose to be changing real soon as well as the data plans. If you don't live in a 4G area than I would hang off on getting a 4G phone but thats just me. I believe that Omaha won't be getting 4G till mid 2012 and the rest of Nebraska should have 4G by 2013 thats something to look into.

Good luck on your choice of phone. Every phone will have its pros and cons

Thats fine you pick the phone that you think you'll be comfortable with. I would suggest to head down to your local Verizon store and mess around with every smartphone they have if you're going the smartphone route. I'd mess with the sound volume, picture and video quality, sliding the pages from side to side and see if it feels right some smartphones are solid while others tend to lag. Try messing around with the texting too if you do a lot of that.

Right now I believe on the Thunderbolt you don't have to pay for the 4G but thats suppose to be changing real soon as well as the data plans. If you don't live in a 4G area than I would hang off on getting a 4G phone but thats just me. I believe that Omaha won't be getting 4G till mid 2012 and the rest of Nebraska should have 4G by 2013 thats something to look into.

Good luck on your choice of phone. Every phone will have its pros and cons

Yeah I'll probably head out to the store tomorrow night. The one thing I like about the iPhone compared to the Droid X is the size. I have a Droid Eris right now, and I really can't imagine a much bigger phone in my pocket.

Have you heard anything about this Samsung Charge? I kept seeing the commercials for it and apparently you can win one.

Have you heard anything about this Samsung Charge? I kept seeing the commercials for it and apparently you can win one.

I'd stay away from any Samsung phone. I will never buy another Samsung phone because they are horrible about providing updates to their phones. The Samsung Fascinate which has been available through Verizon since September/October finally got the 2.2 Froyo update 3 days ago where all other droid phones already have the Froyo since September and are now getting the Gingerbread update within the next few weeks or month or two.

I had the Fascinate before my iPhone 4 and it was a horrible phone. Bad reception, noise cancelation sucked, laggy, and the GPS was HORRIBLE.