Dark Horse Heisman Contenders for 2011

ESPN is trying to jinx Taylor. Remember what happened last season? Thanks to ESPN, his hype status went up after the oklahoma state game. After that he fell in a slump

No what happened was he started to play against good defenses that knew how to defend the zone read. and they figured out that he can't throw to save his life when he has pressure coming at him.

Yeah, injury had nothing to do with it! Who cares that he torched Oklahoma State and had a better QB rating against them than any other Quarterback over the year.

Who really does care that torched Okie Lite, nobody. Why because Okie Lite was terrible on defense.

I will get on Tmart bandwagon when he is productive against a top 40 defense. Until then he is just an athlete playing QB.

:yeah A very fast athlete. I'm not even sure that if Taylor finished out last year the same way he started, he would contend for the Heisman. He didn't show the same all around skillset that others did. ESPN did us a favor by hyping him up so early on in his career. Now he has to live up to the high standards they set for him. Could be a good and bad thing at the same time. Only time will tell. Until then, He's just a good athlete!

He may never win the Hypsman, but he is the best Freshman QB Nebraska has ever had. And still the hate.

We hate the media when they knock us and we hate when they give us props, some of you need to take your dislike for Taylor and stuff it. He was the best we had last year, period, and most likely will be again this year. Deal with it, support the kid and the team.

I wouldnt call it hate at all. Taylor did some stuff last year that rubbed some in this fan base the wrong way. With a fan base like Nebraska's, there will always be support, but when you rub them the wrong way there will be a little questioning. He was young, and he will learn how to handle himself better with the spotlight directly on him. We support him, and support the team to the fullest. GBR!

What exactly did he do to rub the fan base the wrong way? Did he Charlie Sheen his way through a press conference? Flip off a fan asking him for an autograph? Was it that he only made freshman all-america lists, and not actual all-america lists? I guess that would get me pretty steamed myself...

He may never win the Hypsman, but he is the best Freshman QB Nebraska has ever had. And still the hate.

We hate the media when they knock us and we hate when they give us props, some of you need to take your dislike for Taylor and stuff it. He was the best we had last year, period, and most likely will be again this year. Deal with it, support the kid and the team.

I wouldnt call it hate at all. Taylor did some stuff last year that rubbed some in this fan base the wrong way. With a fan base like Nebraska's, there will always be support, but when you rub them the wrong way there will be a little questioning. He was young, and he will learn how to handle himself better with the spotlight directly on him. We support him, and support the team to the fullest. GBR!

What exactly did he do to rub the fan base the wrong way? Did he Charlie Sheen his way through a press conference? Flip off a fan asking him for an autograph? Was it that he only made freshman all-america lists, and not actual all-america lists? I guess that would get me pretty steamed myself...

I'm not sure if your aware of this but we're Nebraska. We want to win Championships here. It's not all about what they accomplish for themselves but how they get the rest of the team involved. I know, it's not all his fault. 10-4 isn't bad when you first look at it. But when you look at our schedule last year, you wonder why we even lost more than 2 games to begin with. Injury Shminjury, we want players that don't get hurt, not cry babies who run to daddy when things aren't going their way. It's that mental aspect of the game that's not there anymore with Nebraska Football. We remember the good ol' days when almost every play went our way, and nothing is good enough for us anymore until we return to perfection. Until we win, nothing will ever be good enough for us. That is just the way we are. We will always point the finger where the problem is. You can only make so many excuses for someone, but Nebraska fans will always have and show passion for their team, you can count on that forever. So go ahead and keep giving the excuses for why someone didn't get the job done.

You either win or you lose, there is no in between with Nebraska football.

haha, that totally sounds like a coach.

I find that sort of "winning is the only thing" attitude obnoxious. It basically flies in the face of everything the Nebraska fan base is supposed to pride itself on.

Bingo. We've turned into a fanbase of spoiled brats. If we aren't dominating like the mid 90's, somebody needs fired or replaced.

Newflash, we dominated a crappy conference, and had very little competition until the bowl game.It won't ever happen, for any team, again.

We have a freshman All-American who has a record setting season with an OC who wants him on the bench, an doesn't like the offense. He gets injured, has sone growing pains, and is thrown under a bus by way too many of our "fans." And what do they base their hate towards Taylor on? Internet message board rumors started from hearesay and 3rd party information.

I want NU to win every game, and I want whoever our QB is to do well. But some people seem as if they are making it personal, which is going to far.

I find that sort of "winning is the only thing" attitude obnoxious. It basically flies in the face of everything the Nebraska fan base is supposed to pride itself on.

Bingo. We've turned into a fanbase of spoiled brats. If we aren't dominating like the mid 90's, somebody needs fired or replaced.

Newflash, we dominated a crappy conference, and had very little competition until the bowl game.It won't ever happen, for any team, again.

We have a freshman All-American who has a record setting season with an OC who wants him on the bench, an doesn't like the offense. He gets injured, has sone growing pains, and is thrown under a bus by way too many of our "fans." And what do they base their hate towards Taylor on? Internet message board rumors started from hearesay and 3rd party information.

I want NU to win every game, and I want whoever our QB is to do well. But some people seem as if they are making it personal, which is going to far.

Like it or not, that's the way our fan base is. And that is my point. But complaining about our fans it isn't going to do any good. And is what I find annoying. What do you expect from fans who've watched their team lay down and get spanked on national television for the past decade. Unlike you, I'm happy to see the energy and criticism with our football program this year. It only provides more fuel for our players.

I wouldn't call it "Hatred". I don't see anyone running Taylor out of town like Callahan or Cosgrove. Now that was hatred. Watson recieved more "hate" than Taylor has.

• Fire 1

This board does not represent the true Nebraska fan. We are over board on every aspect.

Only the rabid seem to have this hate, most that I have talked to want him to succeed and win for Nebraska. None of us know him personally, no one deals with him on a day to day basis. None of us have heard a foul word said by anyone that knows him. Quite the opposite in fact. We hear what we want to about him for some reason.

A friend of mine met him over the Holidays. Said he is quite quiet, shy, to himself, not obnoxious in any way. He seemed introverted and concerned about what people said about him. He did not feel that Taylor and his father were that close, more controlled than anything. These are his words to me.

With the injuries he had, most of us could not do our own jobs with out problems, let alone be the heart and soul of Nebraska fan. Injuries at the QB position are different than others. Under the spotlight at all times.

I really do not remember a player that we have thrown under the bus like this kid. He did nothing wrong, gave it his best every game.

The coaching staff put him in this position. They played him when injured, when not prepared, made him this evil being for some reason, or was it just because even injured he was our best chance to win. Silly me thinks that is the reason. Hate on Pelini, but not the kid. He had no control over the situation. He just did what he was told.

• Fire 1

This board does not represent the true Nebraska fan. We are over board on every aspect.

Only the rabid seem to have this hate, most that I have talked to want him to succeed and win for Nebraska. None of us know him personally, no one deals with him on a day to day basis. None of us have heard a foul word said by anyone that knows him. Quite the opposite in fact. We hear what we want to about him for some reason.

A friend of mine met him over the Holidays. Said he is quite quiet, shy, to himself, not obnoxious in any way. He seemed introverted and concerned about what people said about him. He did not feel that Taylor and his father were that close, more controlled than anything. These are his words to me.

With the injuries he had, most of us could not do our own jobs with out problems, let alone be the heart and soul of Nebraska fan. Injuries at the QB position are different than others. Under the spotlight at all times.

I really do not remember a player that we have thrown under the bus like this kid. He did nothing wrong, gave it his best every game.

The coaching staff put him in this position. They played him when injured, when not prepared, made him this evil being for some reason, or was it just because even injured he was our best chance to win. Silly me thinks that is the reason. Hate on Pelini, but not the kid. He had no control over the situation. He just did what he was told.

Good try, skers. But this is "Huskerboard", where rumors begin and are fully believed more than Moses's ten commandments. Nothing satiates many posters here more than ripping our freshman qb to shreds. Just the way it is....

Sometimes it is embarassing to be a Nebraska fan. Normally on these boards. Sad to see what we are doing to this kid. He is trying to be the starter for Nebraska, the local papers fuel the fire, the boards for the majority beat on him every single day. And not one on here is capable of holding his jock. Simply amazing.

I'm not sure if your aware of this but we're Nebraska. We want to win Championships here. It's not all about what they accomplish for themselves but how they get the rest of the team involved. I know, it's not all his fault. 10-4 isn't bad when you first look at it. But when you look at our schedule last year, you wonder why we even lost more than 2 games to begin with. Injury Shminjury, we want players that don't get hurt, not cry babies who run to daddy when things aren't going their way. It's that mental aspect of the game that's not there anymore with Nebraska Football. We remember the good ol' days when almost every play went our way, and nothing is good enough for us anymore until we return to perfection. Until we win, nothing will ever be good enough for us. That is just the way we are. We will always point the finger where the problem is. You can only make so many excuses for someone, but Nebraska fans will always have and show passion for their team, you can count on that forever. So go ahead and keep giving the excuses for why someone didn't get the job done.

Alright, so let's see if I got this right. Taylor "rubbed some in this fan base the wrong way," because he:

1. Didn't lead Nebraska to a national championship as a freshman QB (even though he would have been only the 4th Nebraska QB ever to win a national championship, and the first to do it as a freshman).

2. Because he got hurt (seriously... you said, "we want players that don't get hurt.")

3. Because he didn't lead Nebraska back to "perfection."

I don't think Martinez is the problem in this particular conversation.

Alright, so let's see if I got this right. Taylor "rubbed some in this fan base the wrong way," because he:

1. Didn't lead Nebraska to a national championship as a freshman QB (even though he would have been only the 4th Nebraska QB ever to win a national championship, and the first to do it as a freshman).

2. Because he got hurt (seriously... you said, "we want players that don't get hurt.")

3. Because he didn't lead Nebraska back to "perfection."

I don't think Martinez is the problem in this particular conversation.

By "not getting hurt".... I didn't literally mean "Don't get hurt", I meant don't let it affect your game. Mental Toughness.

Look, we had problems all over our team last year from bad coaching, bad play calling, turnovers, bad quarterbacking, bad receiving, bad blocking etc... I realize that. But a good leader can fix a lot of those problems and set the tone of a game.

Some people don't think he fits the criteria of a leader. I don't know yet what to think of him yet personally. Do I think he's a great QB? No. Does he have potential? Yes.

Honestly, I think most of you guys mistake the criticism as "hate" and are the ones blowing it way out of proportion. Your going to have people pointing things like that out about your quarterback. He's a quarterback. All eyes are on him. And it's like that with every team around the nation.

Most of what is said about Martinez is not professional criticism. Saying, "Martinez needs to get better at reading pass coverage, blitz packages, and he needs to improve his throwing mechanics," is criticism. And it is fair criticism, and the only argument you're going to get is, "Dude, he was a freshman. Give him some time to practice," which I also think is a fair response.

However, most of the stuff that people like me tend to get upset about is not criticism of his game, but criticism of his character. It's people who say stupid things like, "The injury is just an excuse, it shouldn't affect his game," as if that were in any way valid. Or when people say, "Maybe he should grow up and quit running to his daddy." Or, "why is he just standing there by the bench, how come he isn't talking to someone," when you see him for only 2 seconds on the sideline out of an entire 90 minutes on television.

People like me don't get upset because we're Martinez fanboys who follow him and defend him like teenage girls do with Justin Bieber. We get upset because certain criticisms get thrown out there which are unfounded, irrelevant, and/or simply stupid.

Seriously, you're upset at the kid for his injury affecting his ability to make plays? Is there any injury that doesn't do that? You can't "Mental Toughness" your way through running on turf toe and a sprained ankle, even Usain Bolt would be slow. Your criticism should be of the scheme and the coaching staff, who apparently didn't have anybody they could put in the game beyond Martinez, but instead you call out the "mental toughness" of a 20 year old kid who's fighting his way through his freshman season as a starting QB on a top 20 team with two bad wheels.

Tommie Frazier didn't play most of his first national championship season - did we still win a championship because he was mentally tough, and continued to lead from the sideline, and played through his injury as if it didn't affect him or did we still win a championship because we had Brook Berringer backing him up?

• Fire 2

Hercules, I agree that a lot of the stuff on Taylor is overboard. The sideline shots stuff is just grasping at straws in my opinion, trying to formulate some firsthand conclusions when there is really nothing to go on.

And it is fair criticism, and the only argument you're going to get is, "Dude, he was a freshman. Give him some time to practice"

I'm OK with this response. Often what the response is though is 'Taylor was a great passer. Look at these stats."

Curious: How does everyone feel about Sam Keller, Niles Paul, Bo Ruud, or Corey McKeon?

Like it or not, that's the way our fan base is. And that is my point. But complaining about our fans it isn't going to do any good. And is what I find annoying. What do you expect from fans who've watched their team lay down and get spanked on national television for the past decade. Unlike you, I'm happy to see the energy and criticism with our football program this year. It only provides more fuel for our players.

I wouldn't call it "Hatred". I don't see anyone running Taylor out of town like Callahan or Cosgrove. Now that was hatred. Watson recieved more "hate" than Taylor has.

I completely disagree. Anyone has the right to speak out and disagree with the mindset of a fellow human being, so long as it is done in a respectful manner. If we don't police our own, no one will do it. And just because something is the way that it is doesn't mean that's the way it should be.

I don't like entitled attitudes, period. And if I see it, I'll disparage the behavior.

It has more to do with the way taylor handeld himself on the sidelines during games where he didnt play. The whole dad-text thing at Texas A&M, its not that hes a jerk. There are certain aspects of being the quarterback, the team leader. He will learn those in time, but the way he handled them last year might not have been what fans expect.