The Importance of Being Earnest

I myself have thought from the get-go that Tressel shouldn't be fired, and I could never really put my finger on why. This article really put some light into and I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable people of the Huskerboard what they think. I thought this was slightly relevant since the Huskers are in the B1G, but if it needs to be moved that's fine by me.

My link

Tressel shouldn't be compared to Pearl. Pearl was FAR, FAR more egregious...

However, Tressel should be compared to Dez Bryant. Bryant lie was far less severe and he was suspended for an entire year and in effect it ended his college career.

I'm of the mind that a coach should ALWAYS be judged far harsher than any player. (Players are still kids, Coaches are adults who are paid to know better.) Since Tressel's offense was bigger than Bryant's and a coach should be judged harsher, yes he should be fired. At minimum he should be suspended for one full year with no coaching/recruiting access during that time - and I'd call that getting off light.

Tressel is a stand-up individual who made a mistake, and (seemingly) realizes it, and gave himself a harsher punishment than he had to. I have no comment on whether he should be fired or not, but I am entirely confidence in his decency as a human being.

Let me get this straight. The stand up guy Tressle found out in a e-mail last April before football season that some of his top players were trading merchandise for cash or Tats which is against NCAA rules. He then does nothing to report the misconduct to the NCAA or his own school.

When this all came out in December this stand up guy then acts that he's outraged even though he knew this was going on in April. He then makes a big deal that unless the players pledge that they won't go pro the next year then they won't play in the bowl game.

Then it's found out he knew back in April he makes a appology and Ohio State gives him 2 game suspension. Only after he knows that the NCAA is not going to reduce the players 5 game suspension that he decides he going to add three more games to his penalty. (Probably to stall the NCAA from giving something worse then his being really contrite.) OH, what a web we weave when you first try and deceive.

I have no dog in this hunt. but can't see how the NCAA can let him get away with what he did with only a five game suspension.

I think, that we do not know the whole story. I compare it to Coach Osborne and the LP deal. Mistakes were made. He owned up to it and it is time to move on. It is none of our business as far as I am concerned.

:bang I must have forgot how Osborne tried to cover up what LP did. I seem to remember Osborne suspending LP indefinitely right away and reducing the penalty later. No matter what you think of Osborne decisions there were no NCAA rules broken.

What about the hidden pistol, what about Johnny Rogers.

Both retained their jobs then. I do not think any of them were bad people. Protecting the kids is their job.

It is a joke that it is against the law in the first place, and damned near everyone here would have thought it was okay to do.

I have not seen this angry Tressel person you speak of. He has said he was sorry, made a mistake, but also made a statement about being afraid for the kids and himself. Not dealing with the most reputable people or something to that affect.

Again, we do not know the whole story, the NCAA will make that decision. Until then he is in good standing as far as I am concerned. Not for me to judge him.

Tressel is a stand-up individual who made a mistake, and (seemingly) realizes it, and gave himself a harsher punishment than he had to. I have no comment on whether he should be fired or not, but I am entirely confidence in his decency as a human being.

Let me get this straight. The stand up guy Tressle found out in a e-mail last April before football season that some of his top players were trading merchandise for cash or Tats which is against NCAA rules. He then does nothing to report the misconduct to the NCAA or his own school.

When this all came out in December this stand up guy then acts that he's outraged even though he knew this was going on in April. He then makes a big deal that unless the players pledge that they won't go pro the next year then they won't play in the bowl game.

Then it's found out he knew back in April he makes a appology and Ohio State gives him 2 game suspension. Only after he knows that the NCAA is not going to reduce the players 5 game suspension that he decides he going to add three more games to his penalty. (Probably to stall the NCAA from giving something worse then his being really contrite.) OH, what a web we weave when you first try and deceive.

I have no dog in this hunt. but can't see how the NCAA can let him get away with what he did with only a five game suspension.

:yeah:yeah

In addition to the above, between finding out and the players getting caught he also signs a Certificate to Compliance to the NCAA, wherein he states he has reported all known violations to the NCAA and his compliance officer.

I can maybe forgive him eventually, but now is the time for serious punishment, or he and other coaches will just be tempted to do keep cheating. The NCAA needs to send a message that knowingly lying is not acceptable.

• Fire 1

Both retained their jobs then. I do not think any of them were bad people. Protecting the kids is their job.

It is a joke that it is against the law in the first place, and damned near everyone here would have thought it was okay to do.

I have not seen this angry Tressel person you speak of. He has said he was sorry, made a mistake, but also made a statement about being afraid for the kids and himself. Not dealing with the most reputable people or something to that affect.

Again, we do not know the whole story, the NCAA will make that decision. Until then he is in good standing as far as I am concerned. Not for me to judge him.

It's not against the law it's a NCAA rule and there for a reason, so not to give a competitive advantage to schools that have boosters that are willing to shell out money to disguise they are paying players.

I found the topic of recruiting violations interesting. In the article it was stated Tressel committed no recruiting violations, and therefore should not receive any scholarship reductions. The last big NCAA beat down I remember was USC and the Reggie Bush deal. I don't rember any recruiting violations involving Reggie Bush. I think the NCAA is going the bring the hammer to OSU.

Good article, thanks for sharing.

So now you go from LP to a hidden pistol and Johnny the jet. TO wasn't even the head coach for Johnny. All he was saying was if the ex

linebacker for OSU didn't send out that email Tressel would have said nothing. LP got in trouble and TO did punish him

WOW nice try but not even close

I think a big question to ask is, "What would you do?" From every standpoint, it's hard for me to say I would have turned the kids in. First of all (and in no way is this a legitimate excuse) he's going to need at least 4 out of the 5 guys to win games, turning them in, especially at that time, could cost a season (again, just stating that as my mindset if I were him).

The other reason, which is semi-decent reason, is, at what point are you trying to protect your kids? I mean, playing in high school, it was like a family. We looked out for each other and the coaches did, too. If a kid got caught smoking pot once, we made sure he didn't do it again, but we weren't about to go to the A.D. Tressel is a father figure to these kids, how hard would it be to turn in someone you promised to look after?

I think the 5 games is enough, but I see both arguments.