My Heisman Dark Horse Candidates

I posted this in the Husker Football Forum, but everyone insists on continuing the Taylor Martinez argument. So I thought I would try to post this here!

Here is a group of players I feel deserve more attention for their possible run at the Heisman this year. Of course none of these players are going to be clear cut picks, but neither was Cam Newton at this time last year. That is why they are labeled Dark Horse. These are players that were not included in the early 2011 Heisman Trophy Watch Betting-Odds List but still play a big role in their team's gameplan.

Geno Smith QB, West Virginia Wow looking at West Virginia's schedule and results from last year makes you wonder why this guy wasn't on everyone's watch list. Holy Cow! His line is good. QB Rating of 144, 2,763yds, 24 TDS. Only 7 INTS. The only 3 losses during the regular season last year were to LSU by 6 points, Syracuse by 5 points, and UConn by 3 points. He's an exciting, yet very efficient quarterback, and better yet he's only a Sophomore!

Stephen Garcia QB, South Carolina This is one of my favorite quarterbacks this year (I'm a South Carolina fan in case you didn't know) but his statistics were not too bad at all last year. QB Rating of 148, 3,059yds, and 20 TDS. He lead the Gamecocks with victories over Southern Miss, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, and a victory over their biggest rival Clemson. He popped up in a few polls early last season earning himself some Heisman buzz. The Gamecocks return a ferocious defense as well as a developing young, but powerful offensive. Garcia joins two other possible Heisman candidates returning on offense as well. Look out SEC!

Robert Woods WR, Southern California Young, Talented, Great Hands. If you remember, he was the guy who caught for 224 yds/12 receptions/3TDS against one of the best teams in the nation, Stanford! In only his Freshman year he had 65 receptions for 794yds for 6 TDS. Not bad at all. The only thing holding this guy back is his youth, and the fact that he plays for Lane Kiffin, and new WR coach Ted Gilmore. Hmmmm..... (I don't even know if USC is allowed to win a Heisman given the sanctions placed on them. Guess I'll have to look into that.)

Edwin Baker RB, Michigan State This guy came on the scene last year where he split carries with a few other backs. His tough downhill running style and physical approach is awesome to watch. He seems to slip out of tackles brilliantly and is great at running up the gut. His stats don't lie. Last year he averaged over 5.8 yds per carry. He knows how to find the endzone when in the redzone that's for sure. 13 TDS almost a TD in everygame. Rushed for over 1,200 yds on a Michigan State team whose only regular season loss came to Iowa. I think this guy is one of the best rushers if not the best in the Big Ten, arguably Top 10 in the country. He needs to be on the list.

Why are the following players so hyped?

Taylor Martinez QB, Nebraska I wouldn't quite label this guy a Dark Horse Heisman caliber yet. Even last year, when the media started to do it, I don't think I would have. The Nebraska fan base has bowed down to this kid almost directly because of all the attention put on him, yet he has yet to prove anything to anyone. He's garnered the All-American Freshman Honor, but is he capable of taking his team to the next level to be considered "Heisman Status"? I don't think so. He will need to pull off a couple miracles and learn his position before I see this happening, honestly. Let's be real here. He's good.... and fun as hell to watch! But he's not that good. At least not yet. And he might not even be our starter.

Trent Richardson RB, Alabama - He plays for Alabama that could be why. He's not bad, but there is better.

Case Keenum QB, Houston - Destroys his crappy conference but can't beat a good team. ???

Greg Reid CB, Florida State - Seriously... a corner winning the Heisman? He's no Charles Woodsen.

• 2 weeks later...