Iowa game

Anyway back to your one post Knap, I see Nebraska is running pretty deep on D. When I was breaking teams down, I actually had to stop and double check several times as I thought I must have read it wrong.

I even forgot a couple of guys when I ran off that list of DTs. Jay Guy and Kevin Williams, as I was just reminded. ;)

We have a DEEEEEEEP D Line. Crazy deep.

If only we had such good depth at LB, I'd be much more confident heading into this season.

I hear ya. Losing LB's is hard to overcome. I have also noticed that almost all teams have a drop from #1 to #2 in that position. You might get lucky and have one #2 thats as good, but it falls pretty sharp after that. With almost all teams.

I hear ya. Losing LB's is hard to overcome. I have also noticed that almost all teams have a drop from #1 to #2 in that position. You might get lucky and have one #2 thats as good, but it falls pretty sharp after that. With almost all teams.

Well, and I'm not even 100% confident in our starting three. LaVonte David is a no-brainer. Put the guy on the field and watch him go.

Will Compton seemed to get better as the season progressed last year, as he recovered from his early leg injury. By the end of last season I'd say he was performing as well or better than he did in 2009.

Sean Fisher is a mystery, due to losing the entire season to a broken leg. I'm not a fan of rumors but there's one going around about him that wouldn't be good if true (work ethic), but bottom line is, he's more potential than anything right now.

After these guys we have Alonzo Whaley, who was adequate early on last year before David took full control of the position.

For the last couple of years we've been running that Peso hybrid stuff a lot, so we haven't really had three LBs on the field most of the time. If we had to go to that this year for the bulk of the season, I'd say our starting three would be David, Compton and Fisher, with Whaley backing them up, and after that it's a crapshoot. We have some "names" as true Freshman (David Santos & Max Pirman), but of course they're wholly untested at this level.

We'll see how our LB corps holds up as the season progresses.

Missery plain azz sucked, and they were WAY over rated. I do beleive they were most highly ranked on red zone D. But when we can put mostly anywhere from 2 to 5 deep in against their starters and walk away with a W, they suck. There was alot of stammering about making them a series, I thought not a bad idea, schedual an over rated team and almost always get a W.

You can't use a bowl game to judge MU. They flat out don't show up to play. Never have, and as long as Pinkel is around, never will. They don't even use all their allowed practice times because they are on the road recruiting, so a bowl game is a poor poor measuring stick for them.

Well, and I'm not even 100% confident in our starting three. LaVonte David is a no-brainer. Put the guy on the field and watch him go.

Will Compton seemed to get better as the season progressed last year, as he recovered from his early leg injury. By the end of last season I'd say he was performing as well or better than he did in 2009.

Sean Fisher is a mystery, due to losing the entire season to a broken leg. I'm not a fan of rumors but there's one going around about him that wouldn't be good if true (work ethic), but bottom line is, he's more potential than anything right now.

After these guys we have Alonzo Whaley, who was adequate early on last year before David took full control of the position.

For the last couple of years we've been running that Peso hybrid stuff a lot, so we haven't really had three LBs on the field most of the time. If we had to go to that this year for the bulk of the season, I'd say our starting three would be David, Compton and Fisher, with Whaley backing them up, and after that it's a crapshoot. We have some "names" as true Freshman (David Santos & Max Pirman), but of course they're wholly untested at this level.

We'll see how our LB corps holds up as the season progresses.

I agree and Compton, Fisher and David are all good. But thats my point, most teams are that way, with one fairly good option after the starting 3, than a rather large drop. I dont think you are any worse off than any other B10 team at LB. I know some teams are just better, so I am not talking MN or anything, but more the upper tier teams. You could go as far as to say most upper teams in the ncaa are kind of that way. Yes there are some exceptions but mostly 3 really good 1 or 2 if your lucky that are close, then a drop.

Iowa is always trying to get deeper there, but it's a tough thing to do. They gotta be big, fast, and smart enough to read O's and read them qwickly and be willing to take/give big hits. Hard position to get real deep on.

Missery plain azz sucked, and they were WAY over rated. I do beleive they were most highly ranked on red zone D. But when we can put mostly anywhere from 2 to 5 deep in against their starters and walk away with a W, they suck. There was alot of stammering about making them a series, I thought not a bad idea, schedual an over rated team and almost always get a W.

You can't use a bowl game to judge MU. They flat out don't show up to play. Never have, and as long as Pinkel is around, never will. They don't even use all their allowed practice times because they are on the road recruiting, so a bowl game is a poor poor measuring stick for them.

That's a pet peeve of mine. I hate that excuse. The bowl games are quite possibly the biggest game of the year, and what you cant "show up"? Whats that say about a program? In Nebraskas case I'll let last year slide, as you had already played them and you were on your way here anyway. But Missery was pounding their chest they wanted a shot at Iowa and got it.

bigg10, Nebraska's defense last year only appeared to struggle defending the run. Like you said, the Big 12 is spread happy and pass happy. That resulted in the Pelini brothers creating an entirely new defensive scheme, one that was uniquely Nebraska's, in order to stop those offenses. That scheme was built on the concept of minimizing big plays and taking away the bread and butter of those offenses.

When you take away big plays, and the short passes (which is what many of those offenses thrived with), you're left somewhat vulnerable to the running game. So even though we appeared to struggle defending the run at different times throughout the season, the reality was that we were allowing the offense to run the ball knowing that they probably couldn't maintain a 12-play drive all the way down the field with that style of offense. That defense worked brilliantly against every offense we played over the past 2 seasons except for Oklahoma State. That offense was the best in the country in 2010, and it had way more firepower, balance, and better coaching than any offense we're going to see in the Big 10.

However, in the Big 10, as you've pointed out, there isn't such a tendency towards spread passing attacks as there is in the Big 12. The Pelini brothers will revise their defensive scheme the same way as they did in the Big 12 - they will take away what offenses like to do the most. You won't see the same Nebraska scheme that you've seen the past 2 years, it'll look a lot different due to the types of offenses we'll be facing.

These are points that bother me. As I have said before, with some B10 teams, you cant stop the run, only try and contain it, which is what Bo did before in the B12. Now the problem is the B10 is a punishing run conf. The level of play at containing the run last year in the B12, will not stand up in the B10 as teams like to beat on the others D until something gives.

I would also like to say, I am not saying Iowa is going to roll the conf. or even beat Nebraska. Injuries are a concern for all teams. What I am saying is there is no rebuilding and Iowa should present well this year.

1. You completely missed the point of my post - Nebraska knows that the Big 10 is more of a run heavy conference than the Big 12. You're not going to see the same Nebraska defense you saw the last 2 years - you're going to see one more geared towards stopping the run. If you don't think that Nebraska can make that adjustment, you just haven't watched enough of us the last two years to know how brilliant our defensive coaches truly are. Nebraska has an SEC-level defense, a national championship level defense, and has for two years now. That's not going anywhere. Ask the SEC if they're afraid of the run heavy offenses from the Big 10.

2. I've seen offenses with running games that can't be stopped. Nebraska has had a couple of those over the years. No Big 10 team last year, including Wisconsin, had a running game that couldn't be stopped. There were some very strong ones, but no one had an unstoppable running attack.

bigg10, Nebraska's defense last year only appeared to struggle defending the run. Like you said, the Big 12 is spread happy and pass happy. That resulted in the Pelini brothers creating an entirely new defensive scheme, one that was uniquely Nebraska's, in order to stop those offenses. That scheme was built on the concept of minimizing big plays and taking away the bread and butter of those offenses.

When you take away big plays, and the short passes (which is what many of those offenses thrived with), you're left somewhat vulnerable to the running game. So even though we appeared to struggle defending the run at different times throughout the season, the reality was that we were allowing the offense to run the ball knowing that they probably couldn't maintain a 12-play drive all the way down the field with that style of offense. That defense worked brilliantly against every offense we played over the past 2 seasons except for Oklahoma State. That offense was the best in the country in 2010, and it had way more firepower, balance, and better coaching than any offense we're going to see in the Big 10.

However, in the Big 10, as you've pointed out, there isn't such a tendency towards spread passing attacks as there is in the Big 12. The Pelini brothers will revise their defensive scheme the same way as they did in the Big 12 - they will take away what offenses like to do the most. You won't see the same Nebraska scheme that you've seen the past 2 years, it'll look a lot different due to the types of offenses we'll be facing.

These are points that bother me. As I have said before, with some B10 teams, you cant stop the run, only try and contain it, which is what Bo did before in the B12. Now the problem is the B10 is a punishing run conf. The level of play at containing the run last year in the B12, will not stand up in the B10 as teams like to beat on the others D until something gives.

I would also like to say, I am not saying Iowa is going to roll the conf. or even beat Nebraska. Injuries are a concern for all teams. What I am saying is there is no rebuilding and Iowa should present well this year.

1. You completely missed the point of my post - Nebraska knows that the Big 10 is more of a run heavy conference than the Big 12. You're not going to see the same Nebraska defense you saw the last 2 years - you're going to see one more geared towards stopping the run. If you don't think that Nebraska can make that adjustment, you just haven't watched enough of us the last two years to know how brilliant our defensive coaches truly are. Nebraska has an SEC-level defense, a national championship level defense, and has for two years now. That's not going anywhere. Ask the SEC if they're afraid of the run heavy offenses from the Big 10.

2. I've seen offenses with running games that can't be stopped. Nebraska has had a couple of those over the years. No Big 10 team last year, including Wisconsin, had a running game that couldn't be stopped. There were some very strong ones, but no one had an unstoppable running attack.

I agree with you Nebraskas D is good. As Knap and I were talking about LB's, think about this, the best LB's Nebraska has, and let me point out they are VERY good, but, they have never played college ball where they had 3 LB's out there and faced many teams a year that will try and ram it down your throat. It is not just about Bo changing up the D, which does add to the list of concerns, by its self, it is about a new D approach with kids who, while very talented are not used to playing that way. All those reads the LB's learned in the last few years in the B12 are almost completly useless in the B10. Northwestern, yes. You should be able to about shut them out. It's no secret many of the B10's O prefer "pro" style. Yes it is rather bland, but it works, thats why the pros do it. It's not hard to figure out, but you have to play a clean game (very little penalties) and know your assignments and reads, very well.

A lot of posts on this board, I thought Nebraska fans didn't care about this game?

Judging by this forum, it will be a rivalry. Instantly.

Why does everyone have to push the "rivalry" button all the time? Just because there are a bunch of posts here doesn't mean this is suddenly a rivalry. It means there's someone here who's fun to talk football with. When the Huskies fans show up in force in September again, that won't make it a rivalry. Same with the Buckeyes fans, the Michigan fans, the PSU fans, etc.

Everyone in the Big Ten knows Nebraska will bring in a top flight defense. I don't think anyone is arguing that. The Question is will a dominate Big 12 defense translate into a dominate Big Ten defense? Its fun arguing our points, but the fact is no one knows. I think a lot of the arguments here are directed more towards conference strength. This next year will answer many questions in regarding where the top of the Big 12 is compared to the top of the Big 10.

Numbers might be misconstrued a bit next year considering no team in the Big Ten has faced a Bo lead Nebraska, same with Nebraska they haven't played any big ten recently. As stated before you can't judge a team off of bowl games, because sometimes the better team doesn't win. Given Nebraska's schedule and the way their offense has faded late in the season as of late, they are looking at an extremely hard task.

It's going to be a great year for the Big Ten, TV revenue wise. I thank you Nebraska for that.

See you Black Friday!

Go Hawks.

Game? seriously dude, you all gonna need a miracle to even put a team on the field by the time Iowa gets to you. Then on top of that our "new" qb should be about ready to unleash the cannon, whoops that got your head spinning, well wait, it gets better, Coker, our back runs around 230 pounds. Oh but he is slow, you say. I invite you to watch him shread Missery's back field. Mark my words. Iowas O next year will be as bad as Wiskeys O last year. The D will take a hit but hey we have been ranked like in the top ten for most years since 2000 or so. So a slide on D to even, oh I dont know 20th and a high powered O, sounds good to me. Don't kid yourself Iowa does not rebuild anymore.

That in know way helps your argument. Did you watch Roy Helu tear them apart? I'm guessing not.

Oh yeah, and Daniel Thomas was also 230 pounds and was supposed to wear our defense out, but look how that ended up. 63 yards on 22 carries. I personally am not that worried about Iowa's offense. My biggest worry is if our offense will be healthy enough to to be competitive.

Well you obviously do not want to talk about Gpa's and the science of football, and instead wanted to talk football. ie: smack and who's bringing what to the party, so I made an effort to talk sh@t wicha. But if you cared to research it, you would find that what I am saying even thou it may be surrounded with bs is quite frankly, the truth.

Jsneb, he was "attempting" to talk smack, like his offense is going to "attempt" to score on our defense

If by score, you mean like a sailor on leave in Bangkok. I agree. Football 101: Make a team one dimensional. Bo knows. Iowas line will most likely be the best in the B10 this year, have one heck of a RB, got a cannon thats been seasoned about the right amount of time, got some good big recievers, the recipe is starting to look real good now.

Could we leave out the sailor in Bangkok comment. Have you ever been to Bangkok?

:bigredn: ebraskaShellback

I'm continually surprised at how easily Big 10 fans question Nebraska's defense.

Two years in a row, Nebraska has been excruciatingly close to winning the Big 12 championship, and the defense is the ONLY reason. In the last two years, the Blackshirts have made Tyrod Taylor, Colt McCoy, Nathan Enderle, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, and Nick Foles look not bad, but mind-numbingly terrible. These are first round draft picks, many of whom had good running games to help them out, and they routinely ended up with stats resembling Jake Locker's 4/20. The Blackshirts did it to five-interceptions-Landry Jones too, the only QB who was able to somewhat rebound in the rematch (with a rousing 23 points...)

Hey Big 10 Conference, let me help you out - it's our offense. If you want to smack talk, just make fun of our pathetic, unable-to-score-a-touchdown-in-big-games offense. The Blackshirts, however, are the most dominant unit in the conference, one of the most dominant in the country, and the 2011 version returns with an All-American at each level. Nobody's going to beat us by scoring a lot on our defense.

Nobody gives our defense any credit. How many times have you heard that the opposing QB will be too much for our defense?

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaah00000000000000000! The QB graveyard list will have new names this year! Kiel, Budmayr, Robinson, Gray, McGloin and/or Bolden, Cousins, Persa, and then some. Rude awakening of the O line of opposing teams. I seen their stats in rushing yards for some of them, it sucks. Example: Northwestern U, only 155 (2010) yards per game on the ground. Does 90 - 100 yards the D holds them? I know the passing, we would take most of that away and they would have no choice but to run, if they can.

:bonesflag:

bo knows how to stop the run, look at LSU's defense when he was running it. they were the top in the nation and shut down everyone they played, in what is honetsly at tougher conference from top to bottom then the big ten or the big 12 either one is. bo will have another top defense at nebraska again, possibly the best in the country if the team isnt plauged with injuries. the defense will be solid, as everyone knows it will be the offense that will be a question mark this year.

^ so you're saying he lacks touch on his passes to butterfinger receivers? you've got 2 or your 3 best receivers gone, your top running back suspended (assuming he's done?), new QB (regardless of who he is), lose your starting guard including essentially the entire starting defensive line, leading tackler, and safety.

Clayborn, Stanzi, Klug, Sash, Vandervelde and Ballard were all drafted, meaning you're short 6 NFL caliber players. Those 6 add to a pool of tallent over the last 4-5 years that (from the NFL draft perspective) has been greater than almost the entire Big10 and Nebraska as well. Iowa is a perennial underachiever and dasher of Hawkeye hope. That's something every B1G team can count on. 2009 was just as close to being 8-5 as it was 11-2. Northern Iowa? That dominating offense you are counting on rebuilding put up 12 against Minnesota?

The running back position is VERY thin (see Nebraska) for a team that prides itself on pounding the rock. Can Coker stay health for an entire season with 250+ carries? Doubtful.

The OL is what Iowa is basing their entire season on. Their health is as important as anything this year to Iowa. That's where the Nebraska DL enters...late in the season, your OL get's the meet one of the most dominant defensive lines in football. Not usually a recipe for success. Iowa would stand a much better chance if this game was scheduled in early October.

Damn it KC, that butt dancing is hypnotic. My eyes keep drifting to that a$ and have a hard time reading, gee.

bo knows how to stop the run, look at LSU's defense when he was running it. they were the top in the nation and shut down everyone they played, in what is honetsly at tougher conference from top to bottom then the big ten or the big 12 either one is. bo will have another top defense at nebraska again, possibly the best in the country if the team isnt plauged with injuries. the defense will be solid, as everyone knows it will be the offense that will be a question mark this year.

Bo was at LSU from 05 to 07. 05 Iowa played LSU in the cap one bowl. Iowa beat LSU 30-25 in a bomb from Tate with time running out to win the game. That was that receivers only TD at Iowa. One of the best finishes in a B10 bowl ever. Iowa also had it's worst season ever rushing avg like 75 yards per game or something that year. I'll give credit, we got lucky. But we were in that ball game the whole time, even thou we were huge under dogs and we were not held to under 20. Tate picked apart LSU's secondary.

I know this has nothing to do with now or Nebraska, I just love that game. Bo and KF have met, but now it's a little different.