Iowa game

Everyone in the Big Ten knows Nebraska will bring in a top flight defense. I don't think anyone is arguing that. The Question is will a dominate Big 12 defense translate into a dominate Big Ten defense? Its fun arguing our points, but the fact is no one knows. I think a lot of the arguments here are directed more towards conference strength. This next year will answer many questions in regarding where the top of the Big 12 is compared to the top of the Big 10.

Numbers might be misconstrued a bit next year considering no team in the Big Ten has faced a Bo lead Nebraska, same with Nebraska they haven't played any big ten recently. As stated before you can't judge a team off of bowl games, because sometimes the better team doesn't win. Given Nebraska's schedule and the way their offense has faded late in the season as of late, they are looking at an extremely hard task.

It's going to be a great year for the Big Ten, TV revenue wise. I thank you Nebraska for that.

See you Black Friday!

Go Hawks.

Yes, our D can translate in B1G. The question is, can the B1G schools run at us? My difinition of a running attack is 400-500+ yards pounding the rock. Iowa, MU, MSU do not have a running attack. Example: Michigan 221.5 yards a game, this includes Bowl, is not what I call pounding the rock at D lines. I am old school Nebraska, we use to pound the run. I can not see these three schools pound the ball down our throats. I am serious. We will top your list on defense! Ya, see you on Blackshirt Friday!!

:bonesflag:

Everyone in the Big Ten knows Nebraska will bring in a top flight defense. I don't think anyone is arguing that. The Question is will a dominate Big 12 defense translate into a dominate Big Ten defense? Its fun arguing our points, but the fact is no one knows. I think a lot of the arguments here are directed more towards conference strength. This next year will answer many questions in regarding where the top of the Big 12 is compared to the top of the Big 10.

Numbers might be misconstrued a bit next year considering no team in the Big Ten has faced a Bo lead Nebraska, same with Nebraska they haven't played any big ten recently. As stated before you can't judge a team off of bowl games, because sometimes the better team doesn't win. Given Nebraska's schedule and the way their offense has faded late in the season as of late, they are looking at an extremely hard task.

It's going to be a great year for the Big Ten, TV revenue wise. I thank you Nebraska for that.

See you Black Friday!

Go Hawks.

Yes, our D can translate in B1G. The question is, can the B1G schools run at us? My difinition of a running attack is 400-500+ yards pounding the rock. Iowa, MU, MSU do not have a running attack. Example: Michigan 221.5 yards a game, this includes Bowl, is not what I call pounding the rock at D lines. I am old school Nebraska, we use to pound the run. I can not see these three schools pound the ball down our throats. I am serious. We will top your list on defense! Ya, see you on Blackshirt Friday!!

:bonesflag:

Not one school in Division 1 rushed for more than 323 yards per game, and that was Georgia Tech, they are 80-90% rushing attack. Your definition of a rushing attack is ridiculous in today's game. Also just because a team doesn't rush for more than 300 yds doesn't make them a poor rushing team.

Not one school in Division 1 rushed for more than 323 yards per game, and that was Georgia Tech, they are 80-90% rushing attack. Your definition of a rushing attack is ridiculous in today's game. Also just because a team doesn't rush for more than 300 yds doesn't make them a poor rushing team.

It's not like 30 years ago when the Huskers were averaging well silly amounts of rushing yards per game. Nowadays if you average over 200 yards per game, you would be considered a good running team.

But your point of Ga Tech running for over 300 yards per game is really misleading. They averaged 26 pts per game which puts them in the lower half of the nation in scoring. That means there were probably a lot of 3 and outs.

I wanna see a KU type series domination, not that it already isn't. But this seems different now that were in their conference. At best they might win 2 or 3 every 10 years. We own that mental block over the Squawkeyes.

I would argue, the mental block, goes the other way. The Hawks have nothing to prove, they almost always either A. put up one heck of a fight against good teams, keeping the score close and just waiting for the other team to make a mistake. B win against good teams OR and my least favorite C lose against teams that a good HS team could beat.

I could tell when KF was talking about playing Nebraska, he is looking forward to it. Infact he said somethng to the effect of, the last time the two met he was in his first year here and things are different now. That said, we like evreyone else, need to stay healthy, and this year, maybe more than in the past, need our DC Norm to stay healthy (has diabetes and had a foot taken off last year).

Bo has a little more pressure on him this year. All eyes in the B10, pry the B12 and all analyst and such will be watching to see how Nebraska does this year. Also I get the impression Nebraska fans can be quite verbal if they dont like the way a season goes. It will be interesting to see how Bo responds to the extra pressure in an already extremly pressurized position.

Thats another thing to watch with Mich, they are getting fired up, nobody expects a ton from the team or the coach (no pressure) and do have some decent talent, it needed to be reschooled but talented any which way.

Wiskey could possibly drop a duece this year. High expectations. I have also read some very interesting stats on wiskeys past, when put into these kinds of years. Although we wont be there to knock their d!ck in the dirt. I think they could be ready and should show up, but I have lost some of the confidence I had in them.

The all-time record is 26-12-2 in Nebraska's favor. We've won the last three games by a combined total of 126-27, a streak that spans three decades.

In the last 50 years we've won five out of six, with an average score of 36-10. Iowa's lone win in the past half-century was a 10-7 victory in 1981.

I don't think the mental block goes the other way.

The all-time record is 26-12-2 in Nebraska's favor. We've won the last three games by a combined total of 126-27, a streak that spans three decades.

In the last 50 years we've won five out of six, with an average score of 36-10. Iowa's lone win in the past half-century was a 10-7 victory in 1981.

I don't think the mental block goes the other way.

Right, this is'nt 20 to 50 years ago. These are not the same teams they once were. Nebraska expects (pressure) to beat Iowa and many other B10 teams. To be honest, I dont know any Hawk fan who has ever given two thoughts about our record against non-conf teams. It might get brought up once in a blue moon but over all no one cares. The only non-conf team Iowa cares about is Ia St and that is for obvious reasons. NOW that Nebraska is in the conf. it becomes a different story. If you look, all roads to the top of the B10 go thru Iowa City. Win or lose Iowa exposes just what a team is made of. OH St cant hardly hold them off anymore (even with the tat 5). Wiskey and Iowa are almost always a battle to the end, and a cant miss game. The world should have seen what Mich ST was made of last year, when they played Iowa. I knew Mich St was not going to do well in their bowl, Iowa just destroyed them. So I would say Iowa has earned it's spot along side, Wiskey and OH St.

Mich St thinks they got something to say about that, but talking is all they do. I will be more impressed if they actually do good this year and they very well could. They have some very good talent at some key spots.

Right, this is'nt 20 to 50 years ago. These are not the same teams they once were. Nebraska expects (pressure) to beat Iowa and many other B10 teams. To be honest, I dont know any Hawk fan who has ever given two thoughts about our record against non-conf teams. It might get brought up once in a blue moon but over all no one cares. The only non-conf team Iowa cares about is Ia St and that is for obvious reasons. NOW that Nebraska is in the conf. it becomes a different story. If you look, all roads to the top of the B10 go thru Iowa City. Win or lose Iowa exposes just what a team is made of. OH St cant hardly hold them off anymore (even with the tat 5). Wiskey and Iowa are almost always a battle to the end, and a cant miss game. The world should have seen what Mich ST was made of last year, when they played Iowa. I knew Mich St was not going to do well in their bowl, Iowa just destroyed them. So I would say Iowa has earned it's spot along side, Wiskey and OH St.

Mich St thinks they got something to say about that, but talking is all they do. I will be more impressed if they actually do good this year and they very well could. They have some very good talent at some key spots.

So Iowa doesn't expect to beat Nebraska? Iowa doesn't expect to beat Wiskey or Michigan State? That's a poor way to enter a season, don't you think?

I think any program worth their salt should expect to beat every team on their schedule. That doesn't increase pressure on a team, it's just an appropriate mindset heading into the game. If you don't expect to beat every team you play, you're going to lose games you should win.

bigg10, Nebraska's defense last year only appeared to struggle defending the run. Like you said, the Big 12 is spread happy and pass happy. That resulted in the Pelini brothers creating an entirely new defensive scheme, one that was uniquely Nebraska's, in order to stop those offenses. That scheme was built on the concept of minimizing big plays and taking away the bread and butter of those offenses.

When you take away big plays, and the short passes (which is what many of those offenses thrived with), you're left somewhat vulnerable to the running game. So even though we appeared to struggle defending the run at different times throughout the season, the reality was that we were allowing the offense to run the ball knowing that they probably couldn't maintain a 12-play drive all the way down the field with that style of offense. That defense worked brilliantly against every offense we played over the past 2 seasons except for Oklahoma State. That offense was the best in the country in 2010, and it had way more firepower, balance, and better coaching than any offense we're going to see in the Big 10.

However, in the Big 10, as you've pointed out, there isn't such a tendency towards spread passing attacks as there is in the Big 12. The Pelini brothers will revise their defensive scheme the same way as they did in the Big 12 - they will take away what offenses like to do the most. You won't see the same Nebraska scheme that you've seen the past 2 years, it'll look a lot different due to the types of offenses we'll be facing.

These are points that bother me. As I have said before, with some B10 teams, you cant stop the run, only try and contain it, which is what Bo did before in the B12. Now the problem is the B10 is a punishing run conf. The level of play at containing the run last year in the B12, will not stand up in the B10 as teams like to beat on the others D until something gives.

I would also like to say, I am not saying Iowa is going to roll the conf. or even beat Nebraska. Injuries are a concern for all teams. What I am saying is there is no rebuilding and Iowa should present well this year.

The move to the Big Ten shouldn't represent much of a culture shock for Nebraska. Although only three of the Huskers' Big 12 rivals last season ranked higher in rushing offense than passing offense, all three of those schools played in the Big 12 North along with Nebraska. And it's worth noting that six of the 11 Big Ten teams last season ranked higher in passing offense than rushing offense, lending credence to the notion that the league's reputation as a run-first conference is a bit exaggerated.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1233314

I've been saying this for a while.

So Iowa doesn't expect to beat Nebraska? Iowa doesn't expect to beat Wiskey or Michigan State? That's a poor way to enter a season, don't you think?

I think any program worth their salt should expect to beat every team on their schedule. That doesn't increase pressure on a team, it's just an appropriate mindset heading into the game. If you don't expect to beat every team you play, you're going to lose games you should win.

No, I am sure the program is different. But from a fan pressure stand point, I think there is less pressure over here than there. Makes sence, Iowas comfortable with KF and company at the helm, where as Nebraska is still waiting to see what Bo and company can do and that expectation has gone up going into the B10, with all new teams, new coaches and such. I am just saying Bo has alot on his plate, both for him and his staff and for the team. It has been brought to my attention, that Bo MIGHT get a little wound tight in pressure situations.

bigg10, Nebraska's defense last year only appeared to struggle defending the run. Like you said, the Big 12 is spread happy and pass happy. That resulted in the Pelini brothers creating an entirely new defensive scheme, one that was uniquely Nebraska's, in order to stop those offenses. That scheme was built on the concept of minimizing big plays and taking away the bread and butter of those offenses.

When you take away big plays, and the short passes (which is what many of those offenses thrived with), you're left somewhat vulnerable to the running game. So even though we appeared to struggle defending the run at different times throughout the season, the reality was that we were allowing the offense to run the ball knowing that they probably couldn't maintain a 12-play drive all the way down the field with that style of offense. That defense worked brilliantly against every offense we played over the past 2 seasons except for Oklahoma State. That offense was the best in the country in 2010, and it had way more firepower, balance, and better coaching than any offense we're going to see in the Big 10.

However, in the Big 10, as you've pointed out, there isn't such a tendency towards spread passing attacks as there is in the Big 12. The Pelini brothers will revise their defensive scheme the same way as they did in the Big 12 - they will take away what offenses like to do the most. You won't see the same Nebraska scheme that you've seen the past 2 years, it'll look a lot different due to the types of offenses we'll be facing.

These are points that bother me. As I have said before, with some B10 teams, you cant stop the run, only try and contain it, which is what Bo did before in the B12. Now the problem is the B10 is a punishing run conf. The level of play at containing the run last year in the B12, will not stand up in the B10 as teams like to beat on the others D until something gives.

I would also like to say, I am not saying Iowa is going to roll the conf. or even beat Nebraska. Injuries are a concern for all teams. What I am saying is there is no rebuilding and Iowa should present well this year.

The move to the Big Ten shouldn't represent much of a culture shock for Nebraska. Although only three of the Huskers' Big 12 rivals last season ranked higher in rushing offense than passing offense, all three of those schools played in the Big 12 North along with Nebraska. And it's worth noting that six of the 11 Big Ten teams last season ranked higher in passing offense than rushing offense, lending credence to the notion that the league's reputation as a run-first conference is a bit exaggerated.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1233314

I've been saying this for a while.

Yes, if you read my post in that thread, I explain Iowa was hit hard at RB last year. Most of the top schools should still post decent numbers this year and I expect Iowa to get back into form and atleast come in around 30th if not better. Purdue has been slowly working on things and looks to improve on the ground as well. Mich St also brings back some talent this year. I think last year was a down year on the ground attack in the B10 as a whole. It should improve this year.

No, I am sure the program is different. But from a fan pressure stand point, I think there is less pressure over here than there. Makes sence, Iowas comfortable with KF and company at the helm, where as Nebraska is still waiting to see what Bo and company can do and that expectation has gone up going into the B10, with all new teams, new coaches and such. I am just saying Bo has alot on his plate, both for him and his staff and for the team. It has been brought to my attention, that Bo MIGHT get a little wound tight in pressure situations.

You are doing a LOT of projecting here. I could just as easily say that Kirk Ferentz is all stressed out because he hasn't won the Big Ten in six years and that Iowa fans are all stressed out because they now have to play Nebraska every year, a team that has dominated them over the years.

There are 1,000 theories about this season that you could put forth. None of them are more accurate than any other. I can tell you that in the last couple of interactions I've had with Bo he's been very relaxed, joking around, not stressed at all, so from my purely anecdotal experience, your theory that he's under more stress doesn't hold up.

• Fire 2