Supporting Stats to Can Mike Anderson

247Sports Link

After the piss-poor showing against T. Boones Farms Pickens U, anyone who is still optimistic about Nebraska Baseball this season would even outshine Mr. Rogers in terms of having a cheerful outlook. But from the 247Sports Link boards:

Think about it this way, if Mike misses the Big XII tourney....again...

Imagine if the football team finished in the bottom 2 of the conference 3 years in a row.

Imagine if attendance at football games declined to half during that streak.

Imagine if we lost 14 Big XII games in a row, except 2 meaningless season finales when we had no shot at anything.

Imagine if we lost 19 of 22 Big XII games over the last few years with the two wins above and 1 win against the team that finished last in the conference that year.

Imagine if that team hadn't won a road game in 3 seasons.

Imagine if that coach was one of the highest paid coaches in the Big XII.

Long story short, there are posters that believe this litany of failure by MA may force Dr. Tom to fire him at an inopportune time. After seeing the stats laid out as above, I'm inclined to think MA's termination is something that should have happened already.

Plus, the OWH covered the potentially negative impact the B1G will have to our baseball program (mainly due to the B1G's outdated scholarship rules re: College Baseball), and we can't afford to let a coach willing to run this program into the ground continue to do so in the B1G. Especially if we're sinking approx. $5 million into facilities for said sport.

And especially for a sport that was a centimeter away from being profitable during a season when Nebraska collegiate sports seem to slip out of our minds...

+1 < perfectly said!!

Anderwatson's longevity has run out and those who continue to say he isn't the one on the field or in the batter's box just continue to exemplify the reason he's still here. Why would TO terminate him if the fan base is comfortable with a 30 win season? What will happen if we don't make the Big 12 tourney this year, will the MA apologists continue to make excuses and further TO's justifications in allowing the program to fall further and further into the D1 baseball abyss? Time will obviously tell but I'd hope that if Anderwatson loses the Creighton series, which he will, that TO rewards him with an immediate pink slip.

MA is a joke. I also find his post game interviews a little uncomfortable... he gets awful close to throwing specific players under the bus and never puts the blame on himself.

I think I mentioned this a month ago and at least twice after that. Has anyone ever heard Anderwatson place blame on himself?

IIRC, for those keeping score at home, we're looking at dropping 21 of the last 24 conference series, and we're coasting towards a bottom two finish in the Big XII conference.

While the Creighton win is nice, in reality it does jack and **** to help this team reach the post-season or the conference tourney.

I'm seriously trying to find an upside or something we've improved upon from last year. Hitting seems to be improved overall compared to last year, though it's nowhere near consistent. Otherwise, I'm struggling to find an upside here...

There a lot of very good junior college coaches in Ariz, that could take our program back to where it was headed. Not to mention the recruiting inroads into a state that has thousands of kids playing at all levels. Tom is loyal to his coaches, some times maybe to loyal. Nebraska is a football state. Was that way when I was growing up, and still is. Never heard a thing about Neb baseball. Basketball turned out some good teams, but only the conference champs, [Kan] got to go to the big dance. I was really excited to see the program take off and start getting to the College World Series. Thought the team would have a chance every year, of making a run at it. I hope Tom takes a good hard look at a couple of our programs, after next year. I would hate to see the baseball program fall back to having a good year and then waiting for 5 or 6 years, to see another one. Other football schools have built their other programs to compete for post season play. Our facilities are in place, now Tom needs the right coaches in place.

GBR!!!

Hmm... seems after the weekend loss to KU there is a hot seat arising. (see below Samuel McKewon's column from Nebraska State Paper)

Link: Husker Monday Takes, April 11

***Athletic director Tom Osborne needs to be ready with whatever list he's compiled for baseball coach Mike Anderson's potential replacement. Presuming Osborne has a list. Presuming he's considering replacing Anderson, whose Huskers lost their 11th straight Big 12 road series at Kansas on Sunday with a sloppy11-5 loss. Errors, men left on base, wild pitches, passed balls. The Huskers had one pitcher come in for ten pitches. Nine of them were balls. The next guy threw 11 pitches. Seven of them were balls.

The team is bewildering. One example.

By any useful measurement, senior Casey Hauptman is by far Nebraska's best pitcher. He leads the team in appearances (15), in innings (42.1), in earned-run average (1.06), in strikeouts (39), and in opponent's batting average (.107). He's walked one batter – one! - all year. And that's because he hit a guy. He's No. 4 in the nation in walks per nine innings. In the top 25 nationally for ERA. He hasn't given up a home run. Read all that again. Here is your Johnny Dorn Friday night starter special on a platter. You'd think. At least once.

Except, of course, Hauptman doesn't have any starts. He's nominally the “closer,” but he only has three of those. More often, Hauptman is the “keep us in the game, Casey” middle relief pitcher. He's done that, throwing the equivalent of a quality start more than once after the actual starter bowed out early. Why was he coming into Friday's game after KU had already scored five runs?

Hauptman's throwing up Komine/Joba/Dorn numbers in middle relief while true freshman Logan Ehlers – who's never pitched a collegiate game in his career – is charged with winning the first Big 12 road series in two years? I get wanting to use Ehlers, who got shafted by a 33-game NCAA suspension, but is it that surprising he gave up eight runs (five unearned) in Sunday's 11-5 loss to the Jayhawks? How sharp was the guy going to be? It's not a simulated start. It's a series the Huskers desperately needed to win.

Maybe Anderson's troops can rally. They'd better. NU can't reside in the Big 12 basement again and make a plausible argument that everything's OK.

Back to Osborne. How does he handle this? Better yet – does he handle this?

Hmm... seems after the weekend loss to KU there is a hot seat arising. (see below Samuel McKewon's column from Nebraska State Paper)

Link: Husker Monday Takes, April 11

***Athletic director Tom Osborne needs to be ready with whatever list he's compiled for baseball coach Mike Anderson's potential replacement. Presuming Osborne has a list. Presuming he's considering replacing Anderson, whose Huskers lost their 11th straight Big 12 road series at Kansas on Sunday with a sloppy11-5 loss. Errors, men left on base, wild pitches, passed balls. The Huskers had one pitcher come in for ten pitches. Nine of them were balls. The next guy threw 11 pitches. Seven of them were balls.

The team is bewildering. One example.

By any useful measurement, senior Casey Hauptman is by far Nebraska's best pitcher. He leads the team in appearances (15), in innings (42.1), in earned-run average (1.06), in strikeouts (39), and in opponent's batting average (.107). He's walked one batter – one! - all year. And that's because he hit a guy. He's No. 4 in the nation in walks per nine innings. In the top 25 nationally for ERA. He hasn't given up a home run. Read all that again. Here is your Johnny Dorn Friday night starter special on a platter. You'd think. At least once.

Except, of course, Hauptman doesn't have any starts. He's nominally the “closer,” but he only has three of those. More often, Hauptman is the “keep us in the game, Casey” middle relief pitcher. He's done that, throwing the equivalent of a quality start more than once after the actual starter bowed out early. Why was he coming into Friday's game after KU had already scored five runs?

Hauptman's throwing up Komine/Joba/Dorn numbers in middle relief while true freshman Logan Ehlers – who's never pitched a collegiate game in his career – is charged with winning the first Big 12 road series in two years? I get wanting to use Ehlers, who got shafted by a 33-game NCAA suspension, but is it that surprising he gave up eight runs (five unearned) in Sunday's 11-5 loss to the Jayhawks? How sharp was the guy going to be? It's not a simulated start. It's a series the Huskers desperately needed to win.

Maybe Anderson's troops can rally. They'd better. NU can't reside in the Big 12 basement again and make a plausible argument that everything's OK.

Back to Osborne. How does he handle this? Better yet – does he handle this?

Good find HHacker. Sam seems to be 'in the know' quite a bit about NU athletics. I would think if this is being discussed in his columns, it's already been discussed to some extent at higher levels in the NU Athletics Dept.

My only beef with the McKewan's article is that how much of his Hauptman arguement holds water. Yes Casey is a hell of a pitcher, but with saves and short appearances(3>innings) his stats are very skewed. As a starter you know those numbers go up significantly. So that doesn't work for me. As for starting Logan, I thought he'd be worked a little into live game action, but the kid was recruited here to start, so personally for me looking back, why not start him. Coaches(MA and Newman) thought he was ready so get him in there. If the defense doesn't kill him with errors, the outcome may be different, and we all on here probably have a little different vibe about the team(especially after a good showing in Wichita).

The only thing I really agreed with the article was the point he made about TO actually even doing anything about it. Dead horse on that matter.

• Fire 1