Hawkeyes lose annual rivalry, gain another

So then, generalizing that logic, any team that has a running back that can break a tackle is a power running team?

Nope, not unless they utilize them that way.

But, if you do have a big back that can break tackles and you don't have a power running game, it's probably because you have lineman that can't move people off the line.

If you have both of those and you can make the defense bring the safeties up to stop the run, you've just beaten 99% of the teams in college or pro football.

Florida was in no way a power running team. They were a spread-option offense with burners at RB and WR.

I beg to differ. Florida was a spread formation with a power runner taking the snaps. Tebow had no real quarterback skills, but he was one tough SOB who could put his head down and run between the tackles.

So then, generalizing that logic, any team that has a running back that can break a tackle is a power running team?

But, if you do have a big back that can break tackles and you don't have a power running game, it's probably because you have lineman that can't move people off the line.

If you have both of those and you can make the defense bring the safeties up to stop the run, you've just beaten 99% of the teams in college or pro football.

Good explanation.

Florida was in no way a power running team. They were a spread-option offense with burners at RB and WR.

I beg to differ. Florida was a spread formation with a power runner taking the snaps. Tebow had no real quarterback skills, but he was one tough SOB who could put his head down and run between the tackles.

Maybe... maybe in '07. But the Gator offense in 2008 and 2009 was a pure spread option. Florida rarely ran between the tackles, and normally only with Tebow.

But what if you have several smaller running backs that can: break tackles AND make people miss AND out run defenders to the edge, have linemen that can move people off the line, and also generate about 1/2 of your offense via the pass?

I'm not getting this whole "power running team" thing. Moar explainin pleez.

But what if you have several smaller running backs that can: break tackles AND make people miss AND out run defenders to the edge, have linemen that can move people off the line, and also generate about 1/2 of your offense via the pass?

Then you'd have one of the best offenses of all time. But that happens very rarely.

Not sure what you're looking for, or even if you're serious.

Then you'd have one of the best offenses of all time.

Aha! A target for the offense!

I lure you into my trap.

chuckleshuffle

Honestly this whole "big ten" thing with "big running backs breaking tackles" is just silly. The size of the athlete has little to do with their ability to break tackles unless you're talking about the difference between a 1 yard gain and a 0 yard gain in a static line contest. Tommie frazier didn't seem to have much problem breaking tackles, and etc.

By that logic why not load up a 330 lb running back? or a 600 lb running back? Because they can't move. Acceleration is a measurable physical factor that multiplies mass into force, which can do work, and so on, meaning that a smaller running back with greater acceleration can actually deliver more force, and apply more work, to any given instant, than a larger *less dynamic* running back.

There is a little flawed logic in the smaller back theory. The difference in speed between the fastest and slowest running back in a 5 yard dash is virtually immeasurable. Why 5 yards? Because that's about the distance a back gets from the time they get the ball until they end up face to face with a linebacker. I'll take a 240 lb back that runs. 5 second 40 over a 190 lb back that runs a 4.3 every single time when you are running between the tackles.

Bring all the 190 pound backs you can find at my linebackers..all day long.

You do..and it will be a very long day for you.

And let's put one crazy notion to rest right now - Nebraska didn't go away from the Power Run game because it doesn't work anymore. Nebraska left the Power Run game for the WCO when Solich was fired. Different coach, different offensive philosophies, plain and simple.

There is zero reason why a Power Run game can't work today. Athletes are not so much faster today than they were 15 years ago that we couldn't win with Osborne's offenses. We're talking fractions of a second on skill players, nothing more.

On the money, knapplc.

I too get so tired of hearing that BS. The other one that keeps getting stated 10,000 times is the "power football/option can't work anymore because the defenses are too fast".

Implying the defensive players have got faster but not the offensive players. Makes sense to me. :wtf

Heck, some of Frank's teams averaged over 40 points a game. TO's teams frequently too. But now we're seven full years into fluffball, we're struggling to score 20. Real progress right? Nevertheless, the mantra is "balance". Who cares what TO or even Frank did without "balance"? Results be damned, we gotta have it because....because.....because!