Carnes Starter?

With all the talk on Carnes, how did Kellogg look ?

r

I thought Kellogg looked great. Judging by video of practice he looks to be one of the best passers mechanically. I know he's chasing the dream and all, but it's almost too bad he didn't go to a lower tier school where he could have got the chance to start. He just doesn't fit our offense imo and he's not ever going to get any serious looks at being number one.

With all the talk on Carnes, how did Kellogg look ?

r

I thought Kellogg looked great. Judging by video of practice he looks to be one of the best passers mechanically. I know he's chasing the dream and all, but it's almost too bad he didn't go to a lower tier school where he could have got the chance to start. He just doesn't fit our offense imo and he's not ever going to get any serious looks at being number one.

The sad truth.

I think from an athletic and passing stand point that Kellogg was a very late bloomer and isn't one of those playermaker type quarterbacks you need at a school like Nebraska. This is the first spring game I've seen him play in and I've actually been impressed with what he's done.

As far as the other quarterbacks go, I'm interested to see how the competition flows into fall camp. At this point, I'm 99 percent positive Martinez is our starter. But Carnes is definitely more physically gifted than Cody Green from a speed stand point and he also puts a nicer touch on the ball than Cody Green.

Keep in mind two things, though, when you consider whether Carnes can challenge this fall:

1) We scrapped the old offense, and though the new one is very similar, all 3 guys are learning a new system. So, Carnes theoretically could pick it up faster than the other two, even though they've been here longer.

2) Taylor was not 100% today, and it could be quite a while until he actually is. What if this turns into one of those nagging injuries that follows a guy around his entire career? God forbid, but it could happen. Is a gimpy Martinez really the best choice to run our offense? We saw what it looked like at the tail end of the year, and it was not pretty for our offense.

Regarding #1 - this offense is basically being tailor-made for Taylor. If he doesn't have the best grasp of this offense of all our QBs, he'll never start another game.

#2 - This is a good point. I would hope that Carnes progresses well enough to be able to functionally lead this team if Martinez goes through another injury spell. If not... I'm not sure we can succeed with Cody.

Last year's offense was just for Taylor as well. When we ran into a team with an athletic defense and a few game films, it was pretty ugly (Texas).

There's a reason nobody else recruited him at QB, and it isn't because we found a hidden gem nobody else knew about. I don't really envision him improving much in the most important areas (mechanics, pocket poise, making reads, etc.). I could be wrong. But winning the Big 10 without a passing game will be really tough.

I know he hasn't played a snap of college football, but Carnes sure looks like a solid passer. Not sure how he'd perform overall against the likes of OSU and Wisconsin, but I don't think we should rule out using him this season.

At the same time, last year's offense that was "just for Taylor" was designed by a man rooted in west-coast principles being asked to design a run-heavy spread attack to fit a quarterback that he had probably never expected to use under "his" system.

Beck's roots are in the spread as opposed to the west-coast, which is why I feel better about Beck's offense. Beck is being asked to run an offense he knows well, as opposed to being asked to run an offense he doesn't.

I know there isn't a lot of weight for stats of a single scrimmage, but I just think that this is funny:

Presumptive starter, Martinez, Taylor 4-13-1, 52 yards passing (-1 net rushing yard)

Presumptive #2, Green, Cody 4-11-0, 63 yards passing (-6 net rushing yards)

Presumptive #3 (or 4), Kellogg III, Ron 11-19-0, 124 yards passing (-12 net rushing yards)

Presumptive #4 (or 3), Carnes, Brion 11-15-0, 173 yards passing (40 net rushing yards)

All stats can be found here.

If I'm not mistaken, they had a lot of the "back-up" players in during the second and fourth quarters, when Carnes predominantly played. Most of the better defenders for both squads played in the first and third quarters.

That's possible. I didn't get to watch the game, I had to listen to it online like all the Big Ten foes trying to get an edge on Nebraska. I thought I heard a few familiar names called on the defensive side of the ball when Carnes was in, though... I guess I wasn't under the impression that they were cycling starters out all at once.

That was my impression also. Plus, wasnt everybody bragging on much depth we will have on defense this year. That other than guys like Crick,David and Dennard their isnt much drop off between the 1s and 2s.

I don't know that there were less starters in against Carnes. I have a bad habit of not watching the defense during the Spring Game, so I can't say for sure, but I think Carnes saw several 1's out there. He looked good, you can't deny that.

McKewon said that Carnes faced mostly 3s and 4s.

Idk about Taylor Martinez, I am not sold on him after some of the things that went on last year, but if he is showing something to Bo in practice that makes Bo believe in him, you have to give him a shot. Looking at the stats from yesterday, I was not impressed with him. Carnes is a freshman, and it takes a pretty special one to start as QB at a major college program. If he is that good, I would be for it, let him take a few lumps. I think there are other aspects of the offense that might help cover some of his liabilities, if there are any, this year if we had to start him. I am all for putting the best player out there, but am willing to invest in the future of the program also. What I do think is that Green will be slipping to at least 3rd team...he hasn't shown much improvement from when he got here IMHO.

I know there isn't a lot of weight for stats of a single scrimmage, but I just think that this is funny:

Presumptive starter, Martinez, Taylor 4-13-1, 52 yards passing (-1 net rushing yard)

Presumptive #2, Green, Cody 4-11-0, 63 yards passing (-6 net rushing yards)

Presumptive #3 (or 4), Kellogg III, Ron 11-19-0, 124 yards passing (-12 net rushing yards)

Presumptive #4 (or 3), Carnes, Brion 11-15-0, 173 yards passing (40 net rushing yards)

All stats can be found here.

If I'm not mistaken, they had a lot of the "back-up" players in during the second and fourth quarters, when Carnes predominantly played. Most of the better defenders for both squads played in the first and third quarters.

That's possible. I didn't get to watch the game, I had to listen to it online like all the Big Ten foes trying to get an edge on Nebraska. I thought I heard a few familiar names called on the defensive side of the ball when Carnes was in, though... I guess I wasn't under the impression that they were cycling starters out all at once.

That was my impression also. Plus, wasnt everybody bragging on much depth we will have on defense this year. That other than guys like Crick,David and Dennard their isnt much drop off between the 1s and 2s.

I don't know that there were less starters in against Carnes. I have a bad habit of not watching the defense during the Spring Game, so I can't say for sure, but I think Carnes saw several 1's out there. He looked good, you can't deny that.

McKewon said that Carnes faced mostly 3s and 4s.

I think too much is being invested into what defense was on the field. Watch Brion, full roll out on two seperate occasions and hits the guy in the numbers. The pass to Jamal? Beautiful. I dont want to say I dont have faith in Taylor, but i dont think he would have made all of those throws. Another thing, pocket prescence. Taylors sucks, and everyone should know that from last year. Brion has a better feel for his back side. Ex. When he got sacked from Jay Guy, I think Taylor would have probably taken that hit square in spine. While Brion got sacked, he also felt the pressure, something Taylor doesnt do well, and tried to elude, nearly doing so.

Brion is just a better QB -plain and simple- I get that Martinez is really fast but he cant throw. Carnes undoubtedly has a better arm and he started all 4 years in a solid HS in Florida. I said Martinez should start initially, but if he gets hurt or doesn't do well he should have a role very similar to Jamal Turner's.

This is oddly reminiscent of a situation that happened around, oh I'd say, about a year ago!

The third string QB made a splash in the spring game despite an established starter and ended up unseating the established starter. Granted the circumstances are a little different from Lee to Martinez.

My argument:

Did anyone else notice how many pro sets we did yesterday? I loved it. More pro sets means more pocket throws - not Martinez's forte. I've said it before, I'll say it again, we need a QB who can get the ball out. One dimensional = BAD

This is oddly reminiscent of a situation that happened around, oh I'd say, about a year ago!

The third string QB made a splash in the spring game despite an established starter and ended up unseating the established starter. Granted the circumstances are a little different from Lee to Martinez.

My argument:

Did anyone else notice how many pro sets we did yesterday? I loved it. More pro sets means more pocket throws - not Martinez's forte. I've said it before, I'll say it again, we need a QB who can get the ball out. One dimensional = BAD

What scares me is how much this offense relies on a one step drop and fire it to a predetermined reciever. And as we saw yesterday, if that is covered up, Taylor fires anyways. Several times into double coverage. If teams catch on to that, those are the easiest routes to jump for 6. But with a pump fake they can also be money.

I think too much is being invested into what defense was on the field. Watch Brion, full roll out on two seperate occasions and hits the guy in the numbers. The pass to Jamal? Beautiful. I dont want to say I dont have faith in Taylor, but i dont think he would have made all of those throws. Another thing, pocket prescence. Taylors sucks, and everyone should know that from last year. Brion has a better feel for his back side. Ex. When he got sacked from Jay Guy, I think Taylor would have probably taken that hit square in spine. While Brion got sacked, he also felt the pressure, something Taylor doesnt do well, and tried to elude, nearly doing so.

All evidence to the contrary, as Taylor actually did the exact same thing, hitting Kinnie in stride while rolling to his left, right?

All evidence to the contrary, as Taylor actually did the exact same thing, hitting Kinnie in stride while rolling to his left, right?

I will give you that one throw. Tell me the last time you saw Taylor hit a reciever as nicely as Carnes was on the move. Lets not even begin to mention how many times Taylor threw into double and triple coverage.

I will give you that one throw. Tell me the last time you saw Taylor hit a reciever as nicely as Carnes was on the move. Lets not even begin to mention how many times Taylor threw into double and triple coverage.

But Carnes only had one similar throw. And you're ready to say he's a better passer than Martinez after that one throw? C'mon.