Eric Martin Flourishing at Defensive End

sounds like he is going to be moved around alot, bringing him from different directions, it is going to be hellacious. I cant wait for the first time Martin comes off the edge untouched, it will happen, and it might be goodnight for whoever is in his path.

Let's just hope Ed Cunningham isn't calling the game.

TARGETING

I know people are just throwing out their two cents here, and that is what the board is for. But I fully trust what both of the Pelinis choose to do with the defense. Why do we have any reason to doubt them? More blizting...a 4-3...the Pelinis will do what is best and the D will be dominant.

sounds like he is going to be moved around alot, bringing him from different directions, it is going to be hellacious. I cant wait for the first time Martin comes off the edge untouched, it will happen, and it might be goodnight for whoever is in his path.

And a multiple game suspension for Martin......

Oh wait, we're not in the Big 12 anymore.

I thought, just from things I have read in the past, that the Pelinis are not big believers in the classic rush end. I thought that I read a few different things and from a coaches clinic that they like the rush up the middle to annoy the QB but they like ends to mush rush for the most part. To play the outside running lanes, contain and in essence play the flats a bit too.

That is what they have done the first three years. I haven't heard that quote, but it jives with what we're seeing on the field. Frankly, I don't like it. I think you have to mix your pressures to keep the offense off balance. When you've got a Crick/Steinkuhler that can push straight back to the QB that's great, but if you keep doing that over and over they'll figure out a way to stop it. Mix in some speed-rushing from the DE, especially when you've got a weapon like EMart, and you'll have the QB scared to take the snap after a few plays.

EDIT - and now that I think about it, the way our opponents frequently tried to negate that frontal pocket collapse was to use short crossing routes over the middle, or dumps into the flat, either to the RB, the TE or the slot. That's where Hagg came in, and why we saw him making so many 1-4 yard tackles going sideways across the line.

It's effective, but it's not sexy. I want some sexy for once!!!!!

I feel as though that with legitamite pass pressure from the outside, the interior linemen will be more free to eat up blockers thus freeing the 'backers up to handle the run (while throwing in the occasional blitz). I feel like that a lot of the problem last year with the run defense was asking the interior linemen to do too much. We were spoiled with Suh being able to hold up blockers, rush the passer, and tackle the runner (sometimes, all on the same play). We forget that he is one of the best interior linemen of all time and that it would be unrealistic to expect other DTs to be able to do all of these assignments as well as he did. With a presence on the outside, the interior guys can focus more on the run (with occasional sacks, hurries, etc.) while the DEs (dare I say rush ends?) collect the sacks and the 'backers clean up the garbage.

I thought, just from things I have read in the past, that the Pelinis are not big believers in the classic rush end. I thought that I read a few different things and from a coaches clinic that they like the rush up the middle to annoy the QB but they like ends to mush rush for the most part. To play the outside running lanes, contain and in essence play the flats a bit too.

That is what they have done the first three years. I haven't heard that quote, but it jives with what we're seeing on the field. Frankly, I don't like it. I think you have to mix your pressures to keep the offense off balance. When you've got a Crick/Steinkuhler that can push straight back to the QB that's great, but if you keep doing that over and over they'll figure out a way to stop it. Mix in some speed-rushing from the DE, especially when you've got a weapon like EMart, and you'll have the QB scared to take the snap after a few plays.

EDIT - and now that I think about it, the way our opponents frequently tried to negate that frontal pocket collapse was to use short crossing routes over the middle, or dumps into the flat, either to the RB, the TE or the slot. That's where Hagg came in, and why we saw him making so many 1-4 yard tackles going sideways across the line.

Ha....true enough! I miss it too.

Maybe a gleam of hope is remembering 2003 where he had SuperD blitzing & cremating qbs everywhere all year long. Bo knows defense and is flexible!

How is everybody missing the "more blitz/pressure this season" comments from the staff?

I don't think it's that we're missing those comments, it's more like, we're waiting to actually see them do it. Carl also said that Peso wasn't our base defense last year, then later admitted we were in the Peso something like 75% of the time.

How is everybody missing the "more blitz/pressure this season" comments from the staff?

I don't think it's that we're missing those comments, it's more like, we're waiting to actually see them do it. Carl also said that Peso wasn't our base defense last year, then later admitted we were in the Peso something like 75% of the time.

Yes, and carl re-iterated that this spring, that the peso is not a base defense, its a personnel package.

PERSONNEL PACKAGE.

*smacks self in face*

This isn't a knock on the poster, but the first thing I thought when reading this was: the coaches are playing to the strengths of the players. I hear/read fans wanting the coaches to adapt the scheme to the players frequently, and now I'm hearing that it isn't "sexy" enough. Our DT's have been the strength of the team since Bo became HC, and I'm all for our All-American in Crick being the focus of the attack. I know we all remember the McBride defenses fondly, but I really like what the Pelini's have done and are doing. If 9.5 sacks by a DT for multiple seasons in a row isn't good enough, then maybe our expectations are a bit too high.

This isn't a knock on the poster, but the first thing I thought when reading this was: the coaches are playing to the strengths of the players. I hear/read fans wanting the coaches to adapt the scheme to the players frequently, and now I'm hearing that it isn't "sexy" enough. Our DT's have been the strength of the team since Bo became HC, and I'm all for our All-American in Crick being the focus of the attack. I know we all remember the McBride defenses fondly, but I really like what the Pelini's have done and are doing. If 9.5 sacks by a DT for multiple seasons in a row isn't good enough, then maybe our expectations are a bit too high.

I will admit that my expectations may be a bit too high. But I love the defensive side of the ball, and the wreaking of havoc, and the smashing of quarterbacks, and the lamentation of their women. :D

• Fire 2