Ex-Gator mentor likes NU's chances in Big Ten race

Nexus

"That quarterback, (Taylor) Martinez, was one of the best athletes I've ever seen play"

"I would love the chance to coach him"

Yet alot of guys on here dont think he should be starting.....LOL

Pretty high praise coming from Meyer.

Also liked

UM: I loved him. He was one of my favorite guys. I loved his dad (Brian Moore, who played tight end at Nebraska). I knew it was going to be an uphill climb, with his dad being a Nebraska graduate. He came to several games. Very respectful. Great player. Even better young man. We wanted him badly. ..On our Freshman OT Tyler Moore

• Fire 1

UM: “I loved him. He was one of my favorite guys. I loved his dad (Brian Moore, who played tight end at Nebraska). I knew it was going to be an uphill climb, with his dad being a Nebraska graduate. He came to several games. Very respectful. Great player. Even better young man. We wanted him badly.” ..On our Freshman OT Tyler Moore

Yeah, glad to see that quote. I think a lot of casual fans don't yet realize what a huge get Tyler Moore was for us. Within a couple of years he'll be a household name in Nebraska. Within a couple more years he'll be a household name everywhere else.

"That quarterback, (Taylor) Martinez, was one of the best athletes I've ever seen play"

Also liked

UM: “I loved him. He was one of my favorite guys. I loved his dad (Brian Moore, who played tight end at Nebraska). I knew it was going to be an uphill climb, with his dad being a Nebraska graduate. He came to several games. Very respectful. Great player. Even better young man. We wanted him badly.” ..On our Freshman OT Tyler Moore

You must have missed the part where he said that the KSU game was the only game he watched. If K State or Okie State were all I had to go on, I'd think he was Superman too.

Good to see Meyer talk up TO cuz he obviously deserves it. Cant wait to see what he has to say about the other guys, especially Carnes.

:yeah

As for the daughter I'm sure she is part of a ploy to squeeze more $$ out of OSU if they call. Besides after living in Utah and Florida a trip to Ohio is a step down no matter the $.

Living in Ohio might blow, but Ohio State would be the ultimate destination for Meyer.

OSU has all the national pull that Meyer enjoyed at Florida (media exposure, athletic budget, recruiting attractiveness), but without the downside of having to slog through the SEC schedule every single weekend. Meyer would be able to beat up on little fish---Minnesota, Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern---with only a few truly tough matchups a year.

Point being, it would have all the upside of coaching a program like Florida, without the heart-attack inducing downside of the SEC in general.

You must have missed the part where he said that the KSU game was the only game he watched. If K State or Okie State were all I had to go on, I'd think he was Superman too.

Obviously Meyer must have issues noticing which player on the field is more dynamic than the others, and clearly he doesn't know talent when he sees it. Meyer essentially just said that he would have started TM last season, and would this season, and NOW WHAT. Bo Pelini called TM's number first, Meyer knows what's up, Most of America does, and somehow you don't.

Just stop it. TM is going to start. Last season he was the most impressive NU first year quarterback I've ever seen, you've ever seen, & anyone in this state has ever seen, until some fat ass fell on his leg.

Unless another fat ass falls on his leg, he's going to slice the big ten into thin strips of lunchmeat this season, and in doing so, ride the blackshirts to the big ten trophy & a BCS birth. If a fat ass does fall on his leg, we'll find out all about Carnes, who certainly looks good vs. scrubs.

Obviously Meyer must have issues noticing which player on the field is more dynamic than the others, and clearly he doesn't know talent when he sees it. Meyer essentially just said that he would have started TM last season, and would this season, and NOW WHAT. Bo Pelini called TM's number first, Meyer knows what's up, Most of America does, and somehow you don't.

Just stop it. TM is going to start. Last season he was the most impressive NU first year quarterback I've ever seen, you've ever seen, & anyone in this state has ever seen, until some fat ass fell on his leg.

Unless another fat ass falls on his leg, he's going to slice the big ten into thin strips of lunchmeat this season, and in doing so, ride the blackshirts to the big ten trophy & a BCS birth. If a fat ass does fall on his leg, we'll find out all about Carnes, who certainly looks good vs. scrubs.

Your post honestly isn't even worth responding to.

Bolded part is just your interpretation. Meyer never says anything of the sort. And what's the guy really going to say? It's just more coach-speak from a former coach.

The dead-season is SO boring...

Also liked

Wow...So far Tom Osborne has said the OSU game was the best game he has EVER seen a Husker QB have.

And now Urban Meyer says that hes one of the best athlete hes ever seen (and he coached at Florida in case you forgot)

and Bo Pelini trusts him enough to start him as a freshman and all he does is break QB rushing records for a game and earn freshman all american honors....comes up 40 yards short of being only the 3rd fresman EVER..to rush for over 1000 yards as a freshman (hurt half the year)..and all some of you want to do is bash him. What else could you possibly want. Tom Brady with Micheal Vicks Legs?...i mean come on give the kid some respect for crying out loud. Some of you guys are ridiculous.

Your a better judge of talent then Tom Osborne, Bo Pelini, and Urban Meyer? Unless your Bill Belichick, hanging out on a Husker football board....i'll take their judgement over yours anyday.

Bolded part is just your interpretation. Meyer never says anything of the sort. And what's the guy really going to say? It's just more coach-speak from a former coach.

The dead-season is SO boring...

Im sorry but i hardly take that as coach speak. I doubt he goes calling everybody one of the best athletes hes ever seen and would love the chance to coach him.

Also liked

Wow...So far Tom Osborne has said the OSU game was the best game he has EVER seen a Husker QB have.

And now Urban Meyer says that hes one of the best athlete hes ever seen (and he coached at Florida in case you forgot)

and Bo Pelini trusts him enough to start him as a freshman and all he does is break QB rushing records for a game and earn freshman all american honors....comes up 40 yards short of being only the 3rd fresman EVER..to rush for over 1000 yards as a freshman (hurt half the year)..and all some of you want to do is bash him. What else could you possibly want. Tom Brady with Micheal Vicks Legs?...i mean come on give the kid some respect for crying out loud. Some of you guys are ridiculous.

Your a better judge of talent then Tom Osborne, Bo Pelini, and Urban Meyer? Unless your Bill Belichick, hanging out on a Husker football board....i'll take their judgement over yours anyday.

You Martinez fanboys are zealots. I mean, real zealots. If anyone doesn't declare him God's Gift, you swarm and attack like zombies.

Here is Meyer's quote:

“It's right there. The two leagues are very comparable. I haven't watched them much, but last year I came home and watched them against Kansas State. That quarterback, (Taylor) Martinez, was one of the best athletes I've ever seen play. He dominated that game. I was shocked that he had a few games where he didn't play as well. I think if he plays like that, they have a great chance of winning the Big Ten.”

Q: What else do you see in Martinez's game that's impressive? What does he need to work on?

UM: “I haven't seen enough of him to make an educated evaluation. All I know is what I saw the times I did see him. I'd love to coach him. I can tell you that. He's a dynamic athlete with the ball in his hands, and that's the kind of guys that I like.”

What you have is basically Meyer saying he watched us play K State and witnessed one of the best performances by a quarterback he's ever seen. We can all agree with that. Unfortunately, that wasn't always the story with Martinez, was it? He blew ass against SDSU, Texas, and then ever single game after his injury.

If Meyer had bothered to sit down and watch the SDSU or Texas game, you think he'd feel the same way? Maybe if he'd bothered to watch those games he wouldn't be shocked when Martinez "had a few games where he didn't play as well."

This is what you Martinez nuts will never get: Yes the kid had some sensational plays last year, but he also had some unbelievably bad games. He was as bad against SDSU and Texas as he was good against K State and Okie State. When you average "terrible" with "sensational," what do you get?

No, really go ahead and take a few minutes to think it through.

If I'm not mistaken, he didn't say anything about Martinez as a quarterback and just said what a phenomenal athlete he was - a judgment that you can make with limited footage, which is what he'd seen and what he stuck with. Taylor being an amazing athlete is not something that's really ever been disputed, has it?

Urban didn't say too much about Taylor as a quarterback and backed off any real evaluation of his abilities as a QB:

Q: What else do you see in Martinez's game that's impressive? What does he need to work on?

UM: “I haven't seen enough of him to make an educated evaluation. All I know is what I saw the times I did see him. I'd love to coach him. I can tell you that. He's a dynamic athlete with the ball in his hands, and that's the kind of guys that I like.”

...because he doesn't have the familiarity with Taylor to do so. There is nothing wrong or unusual about any of this. It's why Urban goes on about wanting Tebow in the huddle at crunch time, because he's familiar with Tebow on all levels as a player and person. He even said more about Brion as a QB than about Taylor, but that's because he was a bit more familiar with Brion from his HS days:

Q: What about quarterback Brion Carnes? He played at Bradenton Manatee High School.

UM: “We looked at him as well. Fine player. He's a guy that gets you out of a bad play. That's one of the things we look for in a quarterback. When things break down, can he get your offense out of a bad play? And he's got the ability to do that.”

You gotta realize, Urban was totally even keel in this interview, and it's how any coach, ever, should be (unless they are personalities, like Rex Ryan). But Urban conducts himself professionally (for the *most* part, heh), and remember that something being coachspeak does not make it untrue or an indictment against a player.

UM: “It's right there. The two leagues are very comparable. I haven't watched them much, but last year I came home and watched them against Kansas State. That quarterback, (Taylor) Martinez, was one of the best athletes I've ever seen play. He dominated that game. I was shocked that he had a few games where he didn't play as well. I think if he plays like that, they have a great chance of winning the Big Ten.”

I also think if Taylor plays like he did against Kansas State, that we have a great chance of winning the Big Ten.