Pistol Offense?

Fuzzy

Didn't we run out of the pistol quite a bit last season?

That's kind of what I was thinking. Currect me if I'm wrong, but the pistol is more of a formation than an "offense" with the back directly behind the QB, and the QB a couple yards closer to the line than in a standard shotgun passing down. That way he can read (zone-read) the defense better, and the play can move to either side of the field because of the position of the back.

Missouri uses it and everyone considers them a "spread" team.

I think you might have been comparing apples to oranges for your Comp II paper - hope that turns out OK.

No - everyone considers mizery a "douchey" team

Why, because Taylor will be in the gun just like he was when he took sacks against Oklahoma? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Check out 11:06

I know we're not really disagreeing, I just don't remember Taylor being under center that much last year, at least until the Holiday Bowl with Beck in charge.

Why, because Taylor will be in the gun just like he was when he took sacks against Oklahoma? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I know we're not really disagreeing, I just don't remember Taylor being under center that much last year, at least until the Holiday Bowl with Beck in charge.

You know, after watching that whole thing. I realized for the first time. Our defense looked tired. The offense looked like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. Oklahoma looked like they came to play and the Huskers didn't.

I actually just looked at the KSU footage, once again, a few times the back is lined up behind Martinez on either a PA play or a Zone-read. In fact looking at the OSU footage and realizing that both Kyler Reed TD's came off the pistol formation. Perhaps the Huskers run it a bit more than i realized. I always took it in as shotgun.

The pistol would give T-Mart atleast 1.5 more seconds before he eats the sack versus being under center. I say go with the pistol. I don't think the pistol will help with the fumbles though.

I actually just looked at the KSU footage, once again, a few times the back is lined up behind Martinez on either a PA play or a Zone-read. In fact looking at the OSU footage and realizing that both Kyler Reed TD's came off the pistol formation. Perhaps the Huskers run it a bit more than i realized. I always took it in as shotgun.

This isn't a new idea. We did a ton of stuff out of the pistol last year, and will continue to do a ton of stuff out of the pistol next year. Some people have even referred to the new offense as a pistol offense.

You know, after watching that whole thing. I realized for the first time. Our defense looked tired. The offense looked like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. Oklahoma looked like they came to play and the Huskers didn't.

that clip is painful to watch, a real shot of reality and a reminder of how far we have to go.

single back, smash mouth would be my preference. But, I would be happy with any style as long as it puts up points and takes the pressure off our defense.

How can you go single-back and play smash-mouth? Let's give purpose to the FB position once again!

I prefer under center in an I formation or pistol with the FB standing along side the QB.

NU "must" have a good, smashmouth offense when it's 3rd & short.

Otherwise we're just still (seven years later) on the callawatts/fluffball 0offense which has.....well, proven itself. It has given us lots of gartbage yds/TDs though. Hey, it's better than nothing.

Christ that video was depressing, and like others have said, shows how long we have to go before we are ready to compete for mNCS. That was a complete team breakdown. Maybe the defense was tired, but we still gave up most of our points in the first half with some big defensive breakdowns. A Bo Pelini blackshirts defense should not give up 17 points in one quarter, especially with some atrocious pass defense at points (the coverage on the Kenny Stills near touchdown was just awful).

Of course the offense deserves a fair share of the blame. 5 turnovers is inexcusable. Martinez stuck out most to me in the video. It made me remember exactly why I'm worried about him being a starter next year. Whether it's just because he was a freshman, he just makes awful decisions. I've heard some talk about his ability to improvise, and I'm not exactly sure where this idea has come from, but Martinez is awful when he goes off script. If he doesn't run across the field twice only to lob a pass into a crowd of OU defenders for an INT, I'm not sure we lose the game. Though the line had some terrible blocking at times, it's stil on Martinez to learn when to throw the ball away. All too often when Martinez shuffles in the pocket, he makes plays worse instead of better. Injuries may have affected his ability to make plays with his feet, but they have nothing to do with his ability to make better decisions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed that the majority of the snaps in the Spring Game were either out of the the I-Form or the Pistol.

I have said up and down that I believe Beck is installing a sort of hybrid spread-power offense at NU. You will see some spread/pistol/one-back looks between the 20's and some power/I-formation stuff in the red zone or short-yardage situations.

To truly succeed, I think a team needs to be able to execute both styles of offense.

Also, that video was horribly depressing, Zoogies. Don't ever do that again. If Martinez would have just thrown the ball out of bounds on half of those sacks, I think we win the game. Holy F.

Most pistol plays I have seen don't incorporate the FB into the formation. I would like to see less one back and shotgun plays and more pistol and I form based plays.

Isn't the pistol one back from the shotgun? This whole thread is a mess...

That's like saying - I'd like to see less topless women and more boobs and nipple.

Not really. With the shotgun, you are almost always running East/West, whereas in the Pistol you are North/South. You can also add a second RB or fullback and run options or dive plays. It's damn effective. Here's a couple of example formations:

buckeye_pistol.gif

I know this sounds retarded, but my flag football teams started using this quite a bit about 2 years ago and did really, really well. Our QB was pretty fast, and we ran all types of options, tosses, and dives with a short passing game. It's really a sweet formation because the QB is farther back (our's was only 5' 10") but you can still run right at the Defense. We even used an extended I-Form where we had a FB behind the formation and used it as a goalline/short yardage formation.