Nebraska Booted from the AAU

Academic rankings are stupid. I haven't met a single person that was more or less prepared for the professional world because of the institution they attended. It's about what you do while you're there.

You obviously have never met a for-profit, distance-learning graduate.

Yeah, I don't count "the internet" as an academic institution.

So, once you're out you're out or can they get back in? This is not a good thing.

I'm hoping that University of Nebraska and the University of Nebraska Medical Center can join hands and get this resolved. This is NOT a good thing.

I'm editing this post because Missouri IS a member of the AAU. I'm from Missouri-good to know they are part of the AAU...maybe.

It's really all BS semantics. If UNMC and others in the University of Nebraska were considered "part" of the UNL system we would be way up at the top of rankings.

However, since many schools like UNMC are not considered part of UNL it knocks them down. If taken as a whole, the "total University of Nebraska" ranking would be really high.

Not really a huge issue unless it hurts us from getting into the CIC. Then that would be huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could really be in trouble if that is the case. Hopefully the addition to the B1G will allow that to happen even if we aren't in the AAU. FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just read this on espnu. It said that our CIC situation would not be effected. It's so embarrassing though! http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/26078/nebraska-loses-aau-status

So, once you're out you're out or can they get back in? This is not a good thing. One of the reasons Missouri was not invited to the B1G was because it was not an AAU school. I'm hoping that University of Nebraska and the University of Nebraska Medical Center can join hands and get this resolved. This is NOT a good thing.

lol, really? Maybe check the list? sigh....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities

Embarrassing. You can make all of the "well it unfairly weighs ______" arguments you want. It's still flat out embarrassing.

Maybe that will take your ego down a notch.

Really, this is getting old. There seems to be a chant from visiting Big Ten fans on various Nebraska boards that NU fans are being "arrogant." Based on what? For every doofus guaranteeing a Nebraska title, there are ten others worrying about another lame offense or loss of key players on defense. You'll be hard-pressed to find more than a few people who honestly think we're going to "win 'em all."

I assume you don't like Nebraska fans reciting the program's history, but five national titles, three Heisman winners, and multiple conference titles are facts. If you're complaining about Nebraska fans mouthing off on Big Ten boards, those are called "trolls" and rarely represent the overall fan base.

Before you start slamming someone else's "ego", perhaps you should look at whether they're genuinely trying to make you feel bad, or if it's insecurity on your part.

So, once you're out you're out or can they get back in? This is not a good thing. One of the reasons Missouri was not invited to the B1G was because it was not an AAU school. I'm hoping that University of Nebraska and the University of Nebraska Medical Center can join hands and get this resolved. This is NOT a good thing.

lol, really? Maybe check the list? sigh....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities

Sorry-my bad...I thought I had read somewhere where they were NOT part of the AAU

It should be noted that the Big Ten has pursued Notre Dame for years, and they are not an AAU member. It's not "required" for Big Ten membership, but in Nebraska's case, it helped offset some of the perceived academic gaps between NU and other Big Ten schools. It could, however, still effect how Nebraska operates within the CIC. Nebraska is investing heavily in its new research campus and money from the CIC could go a long way to making that a wise move. Without AAU membership, Nebraska's independent research efforts could take a hit, and it could be perceived as not contributing as much as the other CIC members.

Some interesting points were made in this in-depth article about the vote:

http://chronicle.com/article/U-of-Nebraska-Lincoln-Is/127353/

- When the Medical Center research programs are factored in, Nebraska out-ranks 11 other AAU schools.

- As Harvey stated, ag research is not factored-in heavily because it's funded by the USDA and not the NSF.

- Another unnamed school was put under review at the same time last fall as NU, but Nebraska was the only school brought before a vote. Did that other school have as many pending research program expansions as NU such as the Innovation campus and CIC membership? I suspect not. That's what Harvey meant by "trajectory" not being fairly factored-in.

It should be noted that the Big Ten has pursued Notre Dame for years, and they are not an AAU member. It's not "required" for Big Ten membership, but in Nebraska's case, it helped offset some of the perceived academic gaps between NU and other Big Ten schools. It could, however, still effect how Nebraska operates within the CIC. Nebraska is investing heavily in its new research campus and money from the CIC could go a long way to making that a wise move. Without AAU membership, Nebraska's independent research efforts could take a hit, and it could be perceived as not contributing as much as the other CIC members.

Some interesting points were made in this in-depth article about the vote:

http://chronicle.com/article/U-of-Nebraska-Lincoln-Is/127353/

- When the Medical Center research programs are factored in, Nebraska out-ranks 11 other AAU schools.

- As Harvey stated, ag research is not factored-in heavily because it's funded by the USDA and not the NSF.

- Another unnamed school was put under review at the same time last fall as NU, but Nebraska was the only school brought before a vote. Did that other school have as many pending research program expansions as NU such as the Innovation campus and CIC membership? I suspect not. That's what Harvey meant by "trajectory" not being fairly factored-in.

Good article. My question is why didn't they look at NU before they invited them into the B1G? This doesn't make sense to me. My other question is why isn't UNMC part of the NU system? What would it take to make them part of the system?

I checked out some of the message boards from the other B1G 10 schools-they're not happy-of course Iowa is gloating about this all over the place. I SO hope we beat the crap outta them this year! Bring on FARMAGGEDON!!!

Sounds like the AAU needs to make changes not UNL if all that is true. The purpose of their organization should be to recognize the best academic institutions, not to make schools jump through hoops to meet their definition of excellence. Why is Ag research undervalued? This whole thing seems dumb to me.

It can't be that undervalued Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, OSU, PSU and MSU all are land grants. Few people know this, but MSU was the first college in country opened to teaching scientifc agriculture(PSU was the second), it predates the Morrill Act by seven years. A large amount of our campus is dedicated to farm land (and if you ever visit a very cool place IMO to take a tour)http://www.ans.msu.edu/community/facilities/farms.html so AAU does have instituions that are heavily involved in ag research. What ever UNL's issues are with AAU I just hope they're resolved soon.

Good article. My question is why didn't they look at NU before they invited them into the B1G? This doesn't make sense to me. My other question is why isn't UNMC part of the NU system? What would it take to make them part of the system?

I checked out some of the message boards from the other B1G 10 schools-they're not happy-of course Iowa is gloating about this all over the place. I SO hope we beat the crap outta them this year! Bring on FARMAGGEDON!!!

Because it is a separate campus with separate funding. When you talk about educational quality attending UNK or UNO is not considered attending a Big10 school despite it being in the same system. The state has 5 separate campuses, UNL, UNO, UNK. UNMC & UNCA.

If UNMC drew their funding from the same overall pool as UNL like the law school, dental school, nursing school, and pharmacy school then it would count. Also, the fact that the school isn't even in Lincoln would somewhat disqualify it. IMO we need to overhaul our state university system and do some consolidation of budgets and programs so we don't have unnecessary redundancy between UNO/UNK/UNL programs. If they want to jump in USNEWS and other research rankings they should really pool the budgets of all 3 campuses.