JUCO DE Rulon Davis

On paper this guy is a beast...6'6" 275 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being out of football so long, I'm not sure were going to see a whole lot of him next year unless he's an absolute freak.  We also have all, except Wali Muhammad, coming back next year.  BUt he does have three years of eligibility left.

I know this is going to sound very critical, but I dont see why NU is recruiting JUCOs at LB and DE. They seem to be deepest at these positions, have alot of quality guys returning next year (even though the LBs have been hit pretty hard with injuries).

Nice bio on this guy. :thumbs No matter how good he is as a player, you have to wish the best for him, and respect him for what he has done and been through in his life.

Best of luck to him :thumbs

On paper this guy is a beast...6'6" 275 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being out of football so long, I'm not sure were going to see a whole lot of him next year unless he's an absolute freak.  We also have all, except Wali Muhammad, coming back next year.  BUt he does have three years of eligibility left.

I know this is going to sound very critical, but I dont see why NU is recruiting JUCOs at LB and DE. They seem to be deepest at these positions, have alot of quality guys returning next year (even though the LBs have been hit pretty hard with injuries).

Nice bio on this guy. :thumbs No matter how good he is as a player, you have to wish the best for him, and respect him for what he has done and been through in his life.

Best of luck to him :thumbs

Good point, the only thing I can think of is that they are too good to pass up. Also I have heard Callahan say multiple time that you can never have enough lineman, either side of the ball.

Great story in the OWH herald today about this guy and being in Fallujah...I;m sorry i'm worthless in not giving up a link...so maybe Eric the Red can hook us up or something...This guy is really something special...Good to see another Marine come home safe...

SEMPER FI and GBR

i think the rotation of players on D this year has showed that balance and fresh legs constantly in the game can really turn up the heat on an offense......i like the plan as long as there is little drop off in talent......i think it is a huge reason for the resurrgance in the D play........IMHO

hunter

owh.gif

Link

Duty in Fallujah; football in Lincoln

BY MITCH SHERMAN

LINCOLN - It's possible Nebraska could land another football recruit such as Rulon Davis during the next 31/2 months.

Possible, but highly improbable.

The 6-foot-6, 275-pound defensive lineman from Mt. San Antonio (Calif.) College has spent as much time during the past three years in Iraqi combat zones as he did on the football field. Davis played at the junior college in 2003, missing two games while he attended weekend training with the U.S. Marine Corps reserves. And after the season, he was called up for active duty.

Davis phoned NU coaches Tuesday night to accept a scholarship offer after visiting Memorial Stadium last weekend to watch the Huskers' 34-31 loss to Texas Tech. He is the fourth junior college player from the same batch of visitors to commit and the 10th known NU recruit overall for its class of 2006.

"Oh, he's a player, all right," Mt. Sac coach Bob Jastrab said Wednesday. "He's got long arms, an NFL body, and he moves well for his size. I'll just say he looks impressive walking through the door. And when you pop on the film, it's just as good."

Davis has not played this season while recovering from a leg injury suffered in a motorcycle accident last summer. He has been medically cleared, Jastrab said. But with a scholarship already obtained, there's no need to put the leg at risk this fall.

Davis plans to enroll at Nebraska in January and participate in spring practice. He would have three seasons of remaining eligibility.

"He says he can play this year," Jastrab said, "but I've told him there's no real reason. He could help us, but he got what he came here for. You come here to get a scholarship."

Davis is originally from Charter Oak High School in Covina, Calif. Nebraska received commitments Sunday from junior college cornerback Andre Jones, linebacker Steve Allen and defensive tackle Brandon Johnson. Its other six commitments are from high school seniors.

Washington State sought Davis before he traveled to Iraq. He picked NU over a scholarship offer from Marshall.

"I'm happy for him, because I told him if you find a place that you're comfortable with, do it," Jastrab said. "We miss him right now on the field. He could be one of our real leaders. Rulon's been through a lot. He understands this is a game, and life is life."

Link

If I am reading correctly...this guy is on board. I went to huskersillustrated.com and noticed that all our recruits are 3-4 stars, with one at 5. I also noticed our recruiting class is 29th nationally. What is up with this, or does the rankings need to be updated. Someone said they might be after the juco's committ.

I think rivals updates their rankings every tuesday, so they should have the new rankings tommarow.

• 2 months later...

Rulon doesn't seem to be so solid anymore.

After the in-home were Rulon and his family supposedly fell in love with Coach Callahan, Rulon comes in with a last minute visit.

Courtesy of the free board on the Cal Rivals site, Rulon made a visit to see their campus this weekend.

Whether or not this means anything, I guess we'll see in a few days when Rulon has to sign on the dotted line.

I'm sure these guys would love to get us back for stealing Suh away from them last year.

I heard about this earlier this afternoon and didn't want to being it up and i wish you had kept this off the board for the time being because people tend to freak out when they see another recruit visiting. I have seen instances where some people on message boards rip a recruit a new one for taking a visit after he has committed.

Rulon Davis said he is a man of his word and that he won't decommit. He said his family loved the coaches. If he decommits, let him. We want guys who want to be here because they love it and guys who have dignity and can keep their word. Right now, i am going to believe Rulon was true to his word unless he does something to prove otherwise. We don't know if the coaches didn't ok the visit to Cal or not. The visit wasn't even an official visit and he also has a friend (Nu'u Tafisi) who played at Mount San Antonio so he could have been simply visiting him.

I hope people don't jump to conclusions.