B1G meetings

ESPN blogger: full article

Four new coaches will be in attendance: Michigan's Brady Hoke, Indiana's Kevin Wilson, Minnesota's Jerry Kill and Nebraska's Bo Pelini.

"They need some time together alone to sit across the table and communicate," Rudner said. "Our approach has always been, 'No surprises.' Don't leave anything off the table. Get it out in the open. Let's make sure we're communicating efficiently. And it makes a difference, it really does."

Hopefully he is more open with other coaches than with the media.

And on the 9 game schedule

If the schedule issue does go to a vote, Rudner expects a large degree of agreement one way or the other.

"I don't think we’ll get a 6-6 vote," he said. "I don't think we’ll get a 7-5 vote. You'd like to have a strong majority favor one format over another. There’s a great deal of interest in looking at it and getting it resolved once and for all. They need to move on with their nonconference scheduling."

I thought that Nebraska isn't a full member and doesn't get a vote until July, or does U of Chicago get a vote even if they don't field sports teams?

That's a good question. We don't get a vote, but I would imagine they would listen to us as if we had a vote. Why invite us but not let us have input on crucial decisions that will affect our future? That's not how the Big Ten operates.

I would imagine they'll move to a nine-game format. When I first saw this schedule I figured it wasn't permanent, but more of a ploy to put as many eyeballs on Big Ten games as possible. It won't surprise me if this schedule is scrapped after this season. Of course, when I first saw this schedule I figured the reason it would go away was due to the advent of 16-team megaconferences, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

That's a good question. We don't get a vote, but I would imagine they would listen to us as if we had a vote. Why invite us but not let us have input on crucial decisions that will affect our future? That's not how the Big Ten operates.

I would imagine they'll move to a nine-game format. When I first saw this schedule I figured it wasn't permanent, but more of a ploy to put as many eyeballs on Big Ten games as possible. It won't surprise me if this schedule is scrapped after this season. Of course, when I first saw this schedule I figured the reason it would go away was due to the advent of 16-team megaconferences, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

at least not until texas screws over the remaing members of the big 12 and goes independant and those teams get absorbed into the other conferences

Some tidbits from the meetings:

Expanding the conference schedule in football from eight to nine games was another topic of discussion.

"Our fans would like to have nine," Delany said. "Television would like to have nine."

LINK

CHICAGO -- The competition to host the Big Ten's three premier championship events is down to two.

Chicago/Hoffman Estates and Indianapolis.

The two groups both made detailed presentations Tuesday before Big Ten athletic directors and other officials at the league's spring meetings. Although other cities and facilities have expressed interest in hosting future Big Ten football championship games -- Detroit, Cleveland, Green Bay -- the league is almost certainly going to go with Chicago/Hoffman Estates and/or Indianapolis.

A rotation of championship sites remains possible, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said.

LINK

CHICAGO -- The competition to host the Big Ten's three premier championship events is down to two.

The two groups both made detailed presentations Tuesday before Big Ten athletic directors and other officials at the league's spring meetings. Although other cities and facilities have expressed interest in hosting future Big Ten football championship games -- Detroit, Cleveland, Green Bay -- the league is almost certainly going to go with Chicago/Hoffman Estates and/or Indianapolis.

A rotation of championship sites remains possible, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany said.

LINK

Doubtful it would happen, but I'd like to see a rotation. Happy Valley, Champaign, Iowa City--Almost any B1G city would attract tons of NU fans. And I mean the real NU. Not Northwestern.

LINK

Doubtful it would happen, but I'd like to see a rotation. Happy Valley, Champaign, Iowa City--Almost any B1G city would attract tons of NU fans. And I mean the real NU. Not Northwestern.

I think they mean like Soldier Field, Lucas Oil Stadium, Ford Field, etc. for the rotation. I doubt they'd let anyone host a home game for the championship.

What is Chicago/Hoffman Estates?

Anyway, I think it makes sense to rotate it between Lucas Oil (Indy) and Soldier Field (Chicago). They are centrally located in the conference geographically and easily accessible. Both are would be great hosts cities with the resources in those cities.

Ford Field in Detroit would be nice too but that is slight more on the eastern side of the conference.

What is Chicago/Hoffman Estates?

Anyway, I think it makes sense to rotate it between Lucas Oil (Indy) and Soldier Field (Chicago). They are centrally located in the conference geographically and easily accessible. Both are would be great hosts cities with the resources in those cities.

Ford Field in Detroit would be nice too but that is slight more on the eastern side of the conference.

suburb