My opinion of LA Noire (I haven't played it, but have read all sorts of reviews) is that it is an interesting twist to gaming.

While reading reviews, my only disappointment, and the sole reason why I will not pick this up is because your decisions don't matter. Now if the game had an open environment (similar to Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2), I would pick this up in a heartbeat. For games like this, your decisions have to matter, and even if you get every question wrong, you still solve the crime.

However, the game has a great storyline and I'm sure that is enough for most people to pick it up.

I'm about halfway through the game now, as far as story cases goes anyway. The decisions you make may end up mattering later, but that could be a spoiler. Its open, but more in the way that GTA has been, where the map opens up by sections and you are free to go where ever you like, but the cases direct you to some locations. There are collectables scattered all over the absolutely massive map. The case structure being fixed and not open is for good reason, the story. If things being wide open is the end all be all for you, I'm kinda sad, you will miss what is probably the leader so far for Game of the Year.

While it (open environment) is not the be all end all, I know too little information about how your decisions reflect on the story to risk putting $60 on this game, then getting $25 when I want to return it. If I find out that yes, your decisions to have an important impact on the game, then I might go out and buy it. I understand that your decisions (in the "here and now") have little impact is there to protect what I've heard is a great story. And now, come to think of it, the only reason that your decisions [in Mass Effect 1 and 2] matter more is because they each have sequels [1-2, 2-3] that will be played partly based on what your decisions were in the prior game. LA Noire more than likely won't have a sequel.

But hey, you're talking to a guy who didn't finish GTA IV or Red Dead Redemption (although, Red Dead Redemption was a great game in my opinion).

And, you and I already know that MW3 is winning GOTY. :lol:

While it (open environment) is not the be all end all, I know too little information about how your decisions reflect on the story to risk putting $60 on this game, then getting $25 when I want to return it. If I find out that yes, your decisions to have an important impact on the game, then I might go out and buy it. I understand that your decisions (in the "here and now") have little impact is there to protect what I've heard is a great story. And now, come to think of it, the only reason that your decisions [in Mass Effect 1 and 2] matter more is because they each have sequels [1-2, 2-3] that will be played partly based on what your decisions were in the prior game. LA Noire more than likely won't have a sequel.

But hey, you're talking to a guy who didn't finish GTA IV or Red Dead Redemption (although, Red Dead Redemption was a great game in my opinion).

I think L.A. Noire is probably a one and done like you mentioned. From what I've been hearing, your decisions don't make overly important changes to the story. That said, Mass Effect's choices don't either. None of your decisions drastically affect the outcome of the game. Even if you don't destroy the Collector ship in the second one, Cerberus still hunts you in the third installment. It's more about developing a personality with the game over anything else.

My opinion of LA Noire (I haven't played it, but have read all sorts of reviews) is that it is an interesting twist to gaming.

While reading reviews, my only disappointment, and the sole reason why I will not pick this up is because your decisions don't matter. Now if the game had an open environment (similar to Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2), I would pick this up in a heartbeat. For games like this, your decisions have to matter, and even if you get every question wrong, you still solve the crime.

However, the game has a great storyline and I'm sure that is enough for most people to pick it up.

I'm about halfway through the game now, as far as story cases goes anyway. The decisions you make may end up mattering later, but that could be a spoiler. Its open, but more in the way that GTA has been, where the map opens up by sections and you are free to go where ever you like, but the cases direct you to some locations. There are collectables scattered all over the absolutely massive map. The case structure being fixed and not open is for good reason, the story. If things being wide open is the end all be all for you, I'm kinda sad, you will miss what is probably the leader so far for Game of the Year.

Bah, shooters never win GOtY. And unfortunately ME3 got bumped to 2012.

MW3....hahaha....have you seen gameplay of the new Battlefield 3 game?

MW3....hahaha....have you seen gameplay of the new Battlefield 3 game?

I don't know if BF3 is going to beat MW3 in sales. Call of Duty has outdone the Battlefield series in the advertising department for years, but it appears that things will be on a much more even keel this year. Battlefield is trying to make a bold statement by launching their game close to Modern Warfare. Plus Modern Warfare has become entrenched with 12-year-old fan boys everywhere asking their mom and dad to buy the newest game for them. Battlefield doesn't have that edge right now.

All that said, I fully expect Battlefield 3 to be a better game than Modern Warfare 3. But it really comes down to preference. I enjoy realistic warfare. While Modern Warfare games portray realism, they're slightly skewed by the perk and mapping system. It really comes down to gamer tastes. But I've had enough of the Modern Warfare series by now to know that it's just a rinse and repeat of previous games with a few adjustments.

I don't know if BF3 is going to beat MW3 in sales. Call of Duty has outdone the Battlefield series in the advertising department for years, but it appears that things will be on a much more even keel this year. Battlefield is trying to make a bold statement by launching their game close to Modern Warfare. Plus Modern Warfare has become entrenched with 12-year-old fan boys everywhere asking their mom and dad to buy the newest game for them. Battlefield doesn't have that edge right now.

All that said, I fully expect Battlefield 3 to be a better game than Modern Warfare 3. But it really comes down to preference. I enjoy realistic warfare. While Modern Warfare games portray realism, they're slightly skewed by the perk and mapping system. It really comes down to gamer tastes. But I've had enough of the Modern Warfare series by now to know that it's just a rinse and repeat of previous games with a few adjustments.

BF3 probably won't beat MW3 because like you said every middle schooler on up will be begging their parents to buy them the new Call of Duty game. I think the reason why COD is more popular than BF is because its easier to play and the maps are smaller. I think the COD series is dumb down and kid friendly with the younger crowd.

I've enjoyed playing MW2 and Black Ops but both of my experiences of these two games left me bored after a month and the perks I believe ruin the game. People camp and hide just to get that nuke/chopper gunner/dog perk and it gets old and boring. I've even camped just to get the chopper gunner everybody camps.

My other issue with COD is that it feels and plays like an arcade game. I want a more realistic warfare game and thats why I turned to Battlefield. Sure there are things in Battlefield Bad Company that are not realistic like the red dots above the enemy's head when you 'Spot' them or spawning on your teammate in the middle of the battlefield but there a several other aspects that make BF:BC more realistic than COD: MW2.

I'm like you Enhance and I too am done with the COD series because its always the same game over and over again but with some different perks.

Yeah, what a bummer, but if it makes the game that much better, it'll be worth the wait. And Enhance, the decisions you make in Mass Effect do play more of an important role than they do in LA Noire because if you make some wrong (aggressive) decisions, your teammates might die. And if they're brought into ME3, but died in ME2, you can't have them in ME3. I think that's a little more important than the choices made in LA Noire. But I think I'm going to pick it up just to see for myself.

Huh. Weird, I haven't played it and it does sound interesting, but the TV commercial doesn't even make it look good.

There is an easy answer for that. Ad people have no idea how to advertise something that doesn't fit into a standard format. The ad they run for it looks like they used a template that GTAV would have.

Finished it a couple nights ago. It was getting repetitive, then the storyline took a twist and kept it interesting.

I'm looking forward to future installments of this game, very good.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Many of the things I've read/watched about L.A. Noire suggest it's a one and done. Not to say the same technology won't be used in future games, but I don't think they're going to make a sequel to the game.

Finished it a couple nights ago. It was getting repetitive, then the storyline took a twist and kept it interesting.

I'm looking forward to future installments of this game, very good.

I wouldn't hold your breath. Many of the things I've read/watched about L.A. Noire suggest it's a one and done. Not to say the same technology won't be used in future games, but I don't think they're going to make a sequel to the game.

Depends on your definition of sequel I suppose. Will there be another game with the characters from this one? I highly doubt it. Now a sequel like GTAIII to GTAIV where the theme is the same but the principle chars are different? I think its very likely if the sales hold up.

Bought it last week. I just started the third disc and some I will agree there are some things that are repetitive. It's an interesting story for a game, which helps and makes the game enjoyable. When people say repetition, it goes something like the following:

- Character approaches suspect

Detective Cole: "L.A.P.D., put the gun down"

- suspect flees on foot

- You have to chase suspect until:

1) the game allows you to tackle suspect

2) suspect is cornered and you are forced to fist fight

3) suspect grabs hostage and you must shoot suspect

I have gone through that sequence about 20 times if I had to guess. You don't get to pull your gun out and shoot the fleeing suspect in the leg or anything... it's very linear in that regard.

The open world isn't really open. sure, you can drive anywhere but there is no interest in doing so. You don't really find a shop to buy yourself a tommy gun or anything like that. There are "hidden cars" that offer few perks since after many of the cutscenes you have your Department issued car back.

My point is, don't expect a load of variety within the freedom you have with this game. It's pretty linear and that's fine if you know it going in. It's not Fallout or Red Dead. It's just nice to see something a little outside the box which is interesting. Definitely worth a play through.

If anyone in Omaha is thinking about picking it up on 360 PM me, I will sell it for $40 after I beat it this week.