The Offense Cannot Be So Predictable This Year

It's not like one dimensional is bad. We won a few championships being called one dimensional. As long as we can execute the plays we run we'll be fine. We're not going to be the scoring explosion team of the 80's. Although we could be in the 2012 season.

I think our offense will be middle of the B1G pack. Our defense will be 1st or 2nd which should be enuf to get us to Indy.

We won't go undefeated next year but a BCS bowl or falling all the way to the Alamo bowl wouldn't surprise me.

This subject has been talked ad nauseum on this forum.

Yeah, those one-dimensional offenses that TO ran for two decades just sucked. All those wins and NCs.....so what? Frank winning the BigXII, three final top 10 rankings and playing in the NC game with it sucked too.

Thank God we ditched that crap for our unstoppable "multiple" fluffball. Clowhahan & Callawatts saved our bacon.

And I'm pretty sure those teams had better O-lines than we have now?! That's the whole issue, you can run the ball all you want, but the O-line needs to get off their butts and do their jobs. Another reason why keeping Cotton around was a head scratcher also.

Right, so the offense just has to be completely simple with a slim playbook, but have a lot of different looks and plays, every different type of play you can think of honestly, and we only want to do one thing well so as to not be a jack of all, master of none; but as long as we are able to always throw the defense off and not be predictable.

Harder endeavor than it sounds :)

It's not like one dimensional is bad. We won a few championships being called one dimensional. As long as we can execute the plays we run we'll be fine. We're not going to be the scoring explosion team of the 80's. Although we could be in the 2012 season.

I think our offense will be middle of the B1G pack. Our defense will be 1st or 2nd which should be enuf to get us to Indy.

We won't go undefeated next year but a BCS bowl or falling all the way to the Alamo bowl wouldn't surprise me.

This subject has been talked ad nauseum on this forum.

Yeah, those one-dimensional offenses that TO ran for two decades just sucked. All those wins and NCs.....so what? Frank winning the BigXII, three final top 10 rankings and playing in the NC game with it sucked too.

Thank God we ditched that crap for our unstoppable "multiple" fluffball. Clowhahan & Callawatts saved our bacon.

And I'm pretty sure those teams had better O-lines than we have now?! That's the whole issue, you can run the ball all you want, but the O-line needs to get off their butts and do their jobs. Another reason why keeping Cotton around was a head scratcher also.

I'm pretty sure you're right. :)

Cotton and the Oline step up this year or he's gone. If we're really going to hang our hat on running the ball I'm betting there's a decent chance Barney shines as it can't be easy switching offensive Oline schemes & techniques annually "and" halfway through the year. Oh, I know there's zero chance we'll have a real pipeline this year but we better see some real improvement.

My issue is.......in the back of my mind...........this offense is going to be one-dimensional. I hope I'm wrong and I very well may be and this is based off of nothing other than my gut feeling. I wasn't too high on the whole Beck being hired as the OC situation. I want him to make me a believer though............

I'm worried about this too. I know we can run the ball, but there's gonna be times where that dog's just not going to hunt.

I think we've got good recieving talent, I'm just worried about how they're going to get the ball.

This what I've been saying for months. As long as Martinez is our QB, we'll be one dimension unless he makes some SERIOUS strides in the passing game. He can't throw worth a lick. We could have Chip Kelly him self and an elite receiving cosps and it wouldn't matter because we need to get the ball to them effectively.

I am optimistic however that Beck's aggressive mindset will rub off on the players in the next few years. That's at least a step in the right direction.

My issue is.......in the back of my mind...........this offense is going to be one-dimensional. I hope I'm wrong and I very well may be and this is based off of nothing other than my gut feeling. I wasn't too high on the whole Beck being hired as the OC situation. I want him to make me a believer though............

I'm worried about this too. I know we can run the ball, but there's gonna be times where that dog's just not going to hunt.

I think we've got good recieving talent, I'm just worried about how they're going to get the ball.

This what I've been saying for months. As long as Martinez is our QB, we'll be one dimension unless he makes some SERIOUS strides in the passing game. He can't throw worth a lick. We could have Chip Kelly him self and an elite receiving cosps and it wouldn't matter because we need to get the ball to them effectively.

I am optimistic however that Beck's aggressive mindset will rub off on the players in the next few years. That's at least a step in the right direction.

I wouldn't say he can't throw, I would say his mechanics are very unorthidox from my non-coaching perspective. It seems like he is very inconsistent.........he has a decent arm, but it's not always there. Don't know if that's a strength/stamina issue or just a technique issue.

Oh and bshirt, I would love for us to be able to be one-dimensional and pull it off. With an unproven offense and no trust in our offensive line coach I'm hoping they can prove it to me. Would love to be wrong and tell opposing teams, "we're going to run to this hole, now try and stop us!"

I wouldn't say he can't throw, I would say his mechanics are very unorthidox from my non-coaching perspective. It seems like he is very inconsistent.........he has a decent arm, but it's not always there. Don't know if that's a strength/stamina issue or just a technique issue.

Oh and bshirt, I would love for us to be able to be one-dimensional and pull it off. With an unproven offense and no trust in our offensive line coach I'm hoping they can prove it to me. Would love to be wrong and tell opposing teams, "we're going to run to this hole, now try and stop us!"

it would take a damn good offensive line to do that, we aren't even close and no depth whatsoever.

Just as importantly, he is in desperate need of some pocket presence. Everytime it starts to collapse, it looks like he loses his composure.

I wouldn't say Martinez is a bad thrower. He's definitely not great, and really not even that good, but he's shown he can get the ball there at times. His best game was against OSU. Clearly, NOT a good defensive unit. However, it's still better than anything Carnes or the other quarterbacks on our roster have seen.

He needs to make big strides and needs to stop throwing off that damn back foot of his.

it would take a damn good offensive line to do that, we aren't even close and no depth whatsoever.

Definately agree with that statement Hunter, unless we make huge strides in the offseason we'll have a top 3 defense in the Big 10 and probably top 5 or 10 in the nation with a middle of the road offense. As long as our offense can score SOME points our defense can help us win games. I'm tired of it being like that, but that's the way it's been minus the middle of the road offense. Inconsistency has KILLED us on the offensive side of the ball. We'll do phenomenal one week and poor the next. That needs to stop and quickly!

I think we've got good receiving talent, I'm just worried about how they're going to get the ball.

This what I've been saying for months. As long as Martinez is our QB, we'll be one dimension unless he makes some SERIOUS strides in the passing game. He can't throw worth a lick. We could have Chip Kelly him self and an elite receiving corps and it wouldn't matter because we need to get the ball to them effectively.

I wouldn't say he can't throw, I would say his mechanics are very unorthodox from my non-coaching perspective. It seems like he is very inconsistent.........he has a decent arm, but it's not always there. Don't know if that's a strength/stamina issue or just a technique issue.

Definitely agree with that statement Hunter, unless we make huge strides in the off season we'll have a top 3 defense in the Big 10 and probably top 5 or 10 in the nation with a middle of the road offense. As long as our offense can score SOME points our defense can help us win games. I'm tired of it being like that, but that's the way it's been minus the middle of the road offense. Inconsistency has KILLED us on the offensive side of the ball. We'll do phenomenal one week and poor the next. That needs to stop and quickly!

i will say it appears the light bulb has come on, to the extent it appears we are recruiting better offensive linemen, so there is hope.

I think we've got good receiving talent, I'm just worried about how they're going to get the ball.

This what I've been saying for months. As long as Martinez is our QB, we'll be one dimension unless he makes some SERIOUS strides in the passing game. He can't throw worth a lick. We could have Chip Kelly him self and an elite receiving corps and it wouldn't matter because we need to get the ball to them effectively.

I wouldn't say he can't throw, I would say his mechanics are very unorthodox from my non-coaching perspective. It seems like he is very inconsistent.........he has a decent arm, but it's not always there. Don't know if that's a strength/stamina issue or just a technique issue.

Definitely agree with that statement Hunter, unless we make huge strides in the off season we'll have a top 3 defense in the Big 10 and probably top 5 or 10 in the nation with a middle of the road offense. As long as our offense can score SOME points our defense can help us win games. I'm tired of it being like that, but that's the way it's been minus the middle of the road offense. Inconsistency has KILLED us on the offensive side of the ball. We'll do phenomenal one week and poor the next. That needs to stop and quickly!

i will say it appears the light bulb has come on, to the extent it appears we are recruiting better offensive linemen, so there is hope.

It looks that way to me too. But maybe it's just due to all that kool-aid I slam down. Hell, I don't know.....

Just as importantly, he is in desperate need of some pocket presence. Everytime it starts to collapse, it looks like he loses his composure.

Hopefully he'll make the jump with a year under his belt.

Which is why it's a good thing he took this part of the offseason, and went to a QB coach. His throwing isn't that bad. It's the pocket presence, decision making, and knowing when to throw it away that he has to work on. Fortunately, those are things that normally improve with experience, so hopefully he'll make the adjustments needed as a sophmore.

Which is why it's a good thing he took this part of the offseason, and went to a QB coach. His throwing isn't that bad. It's the pocket presence, decision making, and knowing when to throw it away that he has to work on. Fortunately, those are things that normally improve with experience, so hopefully he'll make the adjustments needed as a sophmore.

Zac Lee threw the ball better than Taylor (Texas game when Martinez's running was shut down), and that's not saying much