With Green's departure, more attention finds Carnes

I think there was no question that Carnes was the #2 coming out of the spring game. The real question is whether Ron Kellogg passed up Cody Green. In reality what I think you have is something like this:

Martinez: A runner (when healthy), B thrower (when healthy)

Green: B- runner, B thrower

Carnes: B+ runner, A- thrower

Kellogg: C+ runner, A thrower

I really think this was all precipitated by the coaches flirting with the idea that Kellogg would be #3. Yes, Green gave you experience, but that experience never really seemed to translate into better play. He did nothing to help us when the chips were down against A&M and Washington (Pt. 2).

I'd knock their throwing ratings as follows: Martinez D, Carnes C, Green C-, Kellogg B-.

Maybe it's just me being negative though ;)

Running, probably: Martinez A-, Green B-, Carnes B, Kellogg D-. JMO. Green has a leg up in understanding the position IMO, but for the new offense that effect probably was not that much anyway.

I'd knock their throwing ratings as follows: Martinez D, Carnes C, Green C-, Kellogg B-.

Running, probably: Martinez A-, Green B-, Carnes B, Kellogg D-. JMO. Green has a leg up in understanding the position IMO, but for the new offense that effect probably was not that much anyway.

This is hits the nail on the head. With the new offense, I really think the coaches were looking at things from scratch and basing decisions on talent, poise, leadership, etc., and less so on experience. I really think that Carnes and Kellogg having good springs would not have had as big an impact on the depth chart were it not for the seismic changes on the offensive side of the ball.

This is hits the nail on the head. With the new offense, I really think the coaches were looking at things from scratch and basing decisions on talent, poise, leadership, etc., and less so on experience. I really think that Carnes and Kellogg having good springs would not have had as big an impact on the depth chart were it not for the seismic changes on the offensive side of the ball.

TM is the only guy who has thrown the ball in a D-1 game, not sure how in the hell anyone can rate the other guys off practice?

TM is the only guy who has thrown the ball in a D-1 game, not sure how in the hell anyone can rate the other guys off practice?

And yet our coaches had Martinez--a kid who had never "thrown the ball in a D-1 game"--start last season over Zac Lee and Cody Green based solely "off practice." I guess they probably just flipped a coin then, right?

Not sure, but T-mart sucks at throwing is pretty obvious... terrible mechanics? Awkward release? bad decisions... On mechanics alone I would say Kellogg and Carnes are better throwers...don't need a defense to see the obvious. Decision making, reading a defense, you would be correct in knowing we cannot know because they haven't seen a true D1 down. But the spring game made Carnes look light years ahead of T-Mart, fundamentally, mechanically and trying to make the correct play. (See: T-Mart "throwing" the ball away into defenders chest.) Essentially, the same reasons we thought T-Mart was a better runner than Zac was before he ever played a down...

Just look at their poise and technique. TMart showed terrible technique in his HS videos, and his throwing ability last year was about on par with what was expected, I think.

And yet our coaches had Martinez--a kid who had never "thrown the ball in a D-1 game"--start last season over Zac Lee and Cody Green based solely "off practice." I guess they probably just flipped a coin then, right?

common man, you KNOW why TM started.....don't insult yourself.

Just look at their poise and technique. TMart showed terrible technique in his HS videos, and his throwing ability last year was about on par with what was expected, I think.

actually, his decision making was worse than his throwing, or so it seemed.

Honestly, not following you here. Why did TM start over a veteran QB despite having never thrown a ball in a D-1 game if your trying to make the point that a QB's perceived abilities mean nothing unless they've actually played in a real live game?

Honestly, not following you here. Why did TM start over a veteran QB despite having never thrown a ball in a D-1 game if your trying to make the point that a QB's perceived abilities mean nothing unless they've actually played in a real live game?

i am saying Bo thought the kid could win most games with his feet, he knew, i am sure, his passing ability was limited, but so was everyone else in front of him and they had nowhere near his speed.

Bo was also hoping the kid would develop, but i don't think he got the coaching to get that accomplished, but we will know more about that this season....durability issues seem to be bigger than anything else, to me.

i am saying Bo thought the kid could win most games with his feet, he knew, i am sure, his passing ability was limited, but so was everyone else in front of him and they had nowhere near his speed.

Bo was also hoping the kid would develop, but i don't think he got the coaching to get that accomplished, but we will know more about that this season....durability issues seem to be bigger than anything else, to me.

But then you're suggesting that running translates perfectly, no matter who is defending, but passing doesn't? I'm confused! Logically, T-Mart was a ? running and a ? throwing since he never played a d1 down. Same with Carnes. But, as fans, we can interpret that from practice, scrimmages, etc. the coaches determined that this was not the case. Therefore, Lee was unseated because we knew what Lee could do, and the potential of T-mart greatly outweighed what we would get from Lee. Thus, from reports coming out of practice, film, and the spring game, we can deduce that Carnes can pass more efficiently than T-mart.