Dish Network and the Big Ten

I had basically decided on getting DirecTV in August, but then I got a flyer from Dish saying they have an app where you can watch tv on your smartphone. That's really enticing, as I'll be working almost every gameday, and unless the game is on ABC, I have no assurance that I'll be able to see it (work at an ABC affiliate). What I'm wondering though, is if I get Dish, would I even be able to watch BTN on the phone, or does DirecTV have a similar app on the horizon? That's literally the only thing swaying my vote towards Dish. Well that and the slightly lower prices, but everything else is largely in DirecTV's favor.

Directv has a scheduling app but not one that you can watch shows. The Slingbox allows you to watch tv from your laptop or smartphone and works with any tv provider, as far as I know.

Actually, Dish Network is teaming up with Slingmedia (who makes the Slingbox) to provide the mobile tv viewing.

Well you got me interested so I called Direct tv to see what I have as an option. They are telling me that all their is to stream is HBO, Showtime and the NFL package.

He couldn't tell me when in the future, but he says they will be getting more channels. SO my take out of it is, don't hold your breathe anytime soon.

I had basically decided on getting DirecTV in August, but then I got a flyer from Dish saying they have an app where you can watch tv on your smartphone. That's really enticing, as I'll be working almost every gameday, and unless the game is on ABC, I have no assurance that I'll be able to see it (work at an ABC affiliate). What I'm wondering though, is if I get Dish, would I even be able to watch BTN on the phone, or does DirecTV have a similar app on the horizon? That's literally the only thing swaying my vote towards Dish. Well that and the slightly lower prices, but everything else is largely in DirecTV's favor.

Directv has a scheduling app but not one that you can watch shows. The Slingbox allows you to watch tv from your laptop or smartphone and works with any tv provider, as far as I know.

Actually, Dish Network is teaming up with Slingmedia (who makes the Slingbox) to provide the mobile tv viewing.

Dish owns Sling Media now.

I called Dish and also couldn't get a straight answer yesterday regarding BTN. Went to the Direct TV web page and their whole house HD package looks enticing for sure. Looks like Direct TV has all the sports channels Dish has and more.

Question:

Anyone who has switched from Dish to Direct TV, any regrets or components of the Dish Services you miss or cannot get on Direct TV?

RiverRunner

I switched from directv to dish a couple years ago. Directv wouldn't upgrade me to HD without a really large fee, so I switched. Dish can control multiple tvs from a box, which directv couldn't do but I've heard that they can now. When Directv had the TiVo brand box, their DVR was the best, but after the TiVo deal ran out, Dish had better DVR's.

Having said all that, the two are pretty close to each other. Directv has a few more channels in their standard packages, but that also makes them more expensive. I'd call each of them and see what they'll offer you. You can't really go wrong with either, and they are both MUCH better than cable.

EDIT: I just checked Directv's site and they have some really good deals right now (like free HD).

Directv does have their multi room viewing option, but it's different than Dish Network's multiple tuner DVR's. Both have their ups and downs at this point, Dish can't output HD to the 2nd room yet, and Direct has some streaming limits.

Both companies are coming out with new whole house DVR's that have a centralized DVR with multiple tuners, Directv is field testing their new HR-34 DVR that has 5 tuners and then has devices that get the signal from the main box to your TV. Dish Network has a similar product called the XIP 813 coming out that has 3 central tuners, then additional boxes at each TV. Dish's boxes at each TV will have a OTA tuner built in that works with the DVR also for locals over antenna.

If you are in an area that can get Verizon FiOS service, do it without a second thought. It's vastly superior to any service out there, and doesn't resort to gimmicks like "free HD." FiOS has been absolutely amazing, and I've gotten every channel that I could every want, in HD for no extra price, for the last 5 years.

If you are in an area that can get Verizon FiOS service, do it without a second thought. It's vastly superior to any service out there, and doesn't resort to gimmicks like "free HD." FiOS has been absolutely amazing, and I've gotten every channel that I could every want, in HD for no extra price, for the last 5 years.

Verizon thought about bringing FiOS to the Denver market but decided Comcast was too entrenched. Too bad because I've absolutely loved FiOS when I've had the opportunity to use it. And everyone here hates Comcast, so I think they would have done quite well.

Oh well. I've got another year on my Dish contract, so I'll be getting the sports package before the season starts. Probably switch to Directv next year to get new equipment. New subscribers always get the best deals, especially if you're switching from Dish to Directv or vice versa.

But, when it comes to BTN, at the moment, Direct TV is the one!!

Not really, Directv's cheapest package with the BTN is $61 per month, Dish's basic package is $50 per month + $7 for the sports pack, $57 total, or $4 cheaper than DTV. Next step up is $66 for DTV and $67 for Dish. Plus with the Dish sports pack you would get more games than you would with basic Directv. I understand people are frustrated that they have to add the sports pack, but Directv is more expensive than Dish anyway.

I whole-hardheartedly second this. Verizon FiOS HDTV is second to none, and once they get all of the boxes in the wild upgraded to MP4 capability, the first iteration of compression will occur and even more HD channels will be added.

Plus, their 35/35Mbps service is perfect for streaming Netflix or ESPN 3 via the PC or XBox 360. :)

And Verizon is still planning on building out anywhere they're the LEC, regardless of who the competition is--their main concern is funding, which has dried up with the economy in it's current state. But since FiOS is providing sufficient ROI for now, this is a temporary setback per Verizon's CEO.

In other words, Denver will have FiOS, but it may be a year or two, at least...

I whole-hardheartedly second this. Verizon FiOS HDTV is second to none, and once they get all of the boxes in the wild upgraded to MP4 capability, the first iteration of compression will occur and even more HD channels will be added.

Plus, their 35/35Mbps service is perfect for streaming Netflix or ESPN 3 via the PC or XBox 360. :)

And Verizon is still planning on building out anywhere they're the LEC, regardless of who the competition is--their main concern is funding, which has dried up with the economy in it's current state. But since FiOS is providing sufficient ROI for now, this is a temporary setback per Verizon's CEO.

Agreed. Plus, the FiOS customer service is absolutely amazing. As a heavy Steam user, FiOS is great for downloading 15+ GB games. It's simply phenomenal. And since I live in Florida, I don't have to deal with the headaches of crappy weather killing the satellite.

I really, REALLY hope that's true. I'd love to ditch Comcast, who is one of only 2 broadband ISP's here. The other is Qwest, who I dislike even more than Comcast. And that's even before considering the FiOS tv.