Stopping the run key to Huskers' title run

GSG

Maybe so but I was only saying that your defense in 2009 is not the same as your 2011 defense (2009 != 2011). So to compare the two, of which will have played in two different conferences, is not an easy comparison to make. That is all I am saying.

Also, being in Ohio and watching OSU over the last decade and longer, I have seen some great defensive teams in the past. Some might say the best money can buy :). I am in no way comparing any OSU defense to current or past Nebraska defenses.

We will stop the run. We will stop the pass.

So your offense only needs to score FGs and you should have the national championship in the bag? I think they can find a way to put up at least a 3 spot on the board every game.

Almost took away Texas's shot to play in the NC game in 2009, and we only scored 4 field goals, so yeah, the defense is that good...

2009 != 2011.

I understand Nebraska has a good defense but some fans make it out to be the Steel Curtain....it isn't. Good defensive play isn't anything new in the Big 10. Don't take this as a shot at Nebraska football because it isn't.

As far as I've seen, Ohio State is the only team in the Big 10 that even comes close to having the athleticism on defense that is on display with teams like Nebraska, Oklahoma, or Texas. And Nebraska's defense is better than Oklahoma and Texas.

Come July 1st or 2nd, tune into the Big 10 Network and watch Nebraska's defense against Missouri from last year. That was a Missouri offense who had just put up more than 30 points on Oklahoma in a win with first round draft pick Blaine Gabbert at the helm. That's a QB who would be considered one of the top couple of QBs in the Big 10 this year if he were in it. Just watch how utterly helpless that offense was against the Blackshirts. That's Missouri, a team that right now is basically on par with Michigan/Iowa/Penn State in the Big 10. And that wasn't one game, the defense did that to everybody.

Look, our offense has sucked the past couple of years, for a variety of reasons. No one in the Big 10 has any reason to be scared of our offense, not Wisconsin, and not Indiana. But if people aren't worried about our defense, they're going to be shocked. Our defense is back to the level of the mid 90's Blackshirt squads, and those defenses were terrifying.

So your offense only needs to score FGs and you should have the national championship in the bag? I think they can find a way to put up at least a 3 spot on the board every game.

Almost took away Texas's shot to play in the NC game in 2009, and we only scored 4 field goals, so yeah, the defense is that good...

2009 != 2011.

I understand Nebraska has a good defense but some fans make it out to be the Steel Curtain....it isn't. Good defensive play isn't anything new in the Big 10. Don't take this as a shot at Nebraska football because it isn't.

Steel Curtain? Yeah, you’re right. The NU players are amateur athletes. Unlike some of the guys in the headlines these past couple of months.

You would think OSU would have a better return on investment and win more games.

I think the OSU/NU defensive comparisons are appropriate. I think both teams rely on athleticism and speed moreso than what I typically see in the Big Ten.

If Big Ten teams want to imagine what it'll be like to play the Blackshirts, imagine playing OSU's defense. It's similar.

2009 != 2011.

As far as I've seen, Ohio State is the only team in the Big 10 that even comes close to having the athleticism on defense that is on display with teams like Nebraska, Oklahoma, or Texas. And Nebraska's defense is better than Oklahoma and Texas.

Come July 1st or 2nd, tune into the Big 10 Network and watch Nebraska's defense against Missouri from last year. That was a Missouri offense who had just put up more than 30 points on Oklahoma in a win with first round draft pick Blaine Gabbert at the helm. That's a QB who would be considered one of the top couple of QBs in the Big 10 this year if he were in it. Just watch how utterly helpless that offense was against the Blackshirts. That's Missouri, a team that right now is basically on par with Michigan/Iowa/Penn State in the Big 10. And that wasn't one game, the defense did that to everybody.

Look, our offense has sucked the past couple of years, for a variety of reasons. No one in the Big 10 has any reason to be scared of our offense, not Wisconsin, and not Indiana. But if people aren't worried about our defense, they're going to be shocked. Our defense is back to the level of the mid 90's Blackshirt squads, and those defenses were terrifying.

I have watched plenty of Nebraska football games over the years to understand how good they are and were. Beating a team like Missouri doesn't impress me because beating teams like Michigan (in their current state), Iowa (loves to choke), and Penn State (again, in their current state) doesn't impress me. When OSU plays them, I fully expect a W. I also don't see the current Blackshirts as good as the ones in the mid 90s. You are talking about some of the best in D1 history when comparing to those teams.

I think the OSU/NU defensive comparisons are appropriate. I think both teams rely on athleticism and speed moreso than what I typically see in the Big Ten.

If Big Ten teams want to imagine what it'll be like to play the Blackshirts, imagine playing OSU's defense. It's similar.

I would agree. That is why Oct. 8 will be a fun game to watch no matter the outcome even with everything going on in Columbus. There will be some great story lines leading up to that game.

2009 != 2011.

I have watched plenty of Nebraska football games over the years to understand how good they are and were. Beating a team like Missouri doesn't impress me because beating teams like Michigan (in their current state), Iowa (loves to choke), and Penn State (again, in their current state) doesn't impress me. When OSU plays them, I fully expect a W. I also don't see the current Blackshirts as good as the ones in the mid 90s. You are talking about some of the best in D1 history when comparing to those teams.

The recent defensive squads have been as good as most of those 90's defenses. The 2009 defense was comparable to the 1995 defense and the 1999 defense, the two best 90's defenses. The 2010 defense would have been on par with any other Blackshirt defense of the 90's, and it would have been better than a number of them.

They also play a different style - the 90's teams were more aggressive and made more plays, but they also gave up more big plays. Pelini's defenses take away whatever your offense is best at, and they aim to minimize explosive gains.

*** It's also not that they simply "beat" Missouri. It's how dominant the Blackshirts were against Missouri's offense that is so impressive. Consider that Pelini designed his defense the last two years with Missouri in mind, then watch that game, and then realize that Pelini is currently redesigning the defense with Big 10 offenses in mind.

Once again, it seems Big 10 fans think that they're going to beat us by going through our defense - I really, REALLY don't believe that is going to be the case.

I miss the 90s defenses. They would give up some big plays on busts or when the opponent guessed right, but that aggressive, in-your-face style of defense was a hell of a lot of fun to watch. A whole team of Ndamukong Suhs ripping up the opponent rather than just one or two guys.

Memories. :throwdabones1:

I miss the 90s defenses. They would give up some big plays on busts or when the opponent guessed right, but that aggressive, in-your-face style of defense was a hell of a lot of fun to watch. A whole team of Ndamukong Suhs ripping up the opponent rather than just one or two guys.

Memories. :throwdabones1:

They played with their hair on fire every play, for sure. I miss that mostly with the 1995 defense, which was absolutely terrifying to watch. Farley, Wistrom, Tomich, Peter brothers, Booker, Minter, Veland - so nasty. With every other defense from that decade, it was fun to watch but I really did want to tear my hair out sometimes when you'd get wr's running wide open on defensive busts. That doesn't really happen anymore with Pelini, and now when I watch other defenses around the country, the busts drive me insane because I've gotten so used to watching Nebraska. The Blackshirts make opposing offenses earn every single yard they get, so when I watch teams like Oregon score 2-3 TDs a game when the defense just blows an assignment, I feel like it shouldn't count.

Jaws, I know your OH fan, but to say you expect a W over Iowa, makes you sound like a homer. WE have met twice in the last 4 years. The 09 game was Vandy's first start ever, we took it to OT, and we were the second highest scoring team on you that year with 24 points, behind Navy who put 27 on you. 2009 final 27-24 in OT.

In 2010, Again you beat us by a field goal and Iowa held you to your lowest scoring game that year @ 20. 2010 final 20-17.

So if you EXPECT a win over Iowa, you are not paying attention. Infact, I would suspect other stats would show Iowa has been your toughest comp for awhile now. I know Northwestern gave you some close ones in there as well.

Yes OH ST is good, I am not saying that. I am saying it's not like your leaps and bounds above a few other B10 teams and yes that now includes Nebraska.

Jaws, I know your OH fan, but to say you expect a W over Iowa, makes you sound like a homer. WE have met twice in the last 4 years. The 09 game was Vandy's first start ever, we took it to OT, and we were the second highest scoring team on you that year with 24 points, behind Navy who put 27 on you. 2009 final 27-24 in OT.

In 2010, Again you beat us by a field goal and Iowa held you to your lowest scoring game that year @ 20. 2010 final 20-17.

So if you EXPECT a win over Iowa, you are not paying attention. Infact, I would suspect other stats would show Iowa has been your toughest comp for awhile now. I know Northwestern gave you some close ones in there as well.

Yes OH ST is good, I am not saying that. I am saying it's not like your leaps and bounds above a few other B10 teams and yes that now includes Nebraska.

This is the difference between a successful program's fans and an average program's fans. An Ohio State fan has every reason to expect to beat every team he plays. Sure, some games they should anticipate will be harder than others, but if you don't have confidence that OSU will beat Iowa every time they play, OSU has a major problem. OSU is 33-6-1 vs Iowa in the past forty years, if I did my research right, and 45-14-3 all time.

With a lopsided history like that, Iowa wins can best be described as, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes."

This is the difference between a successful program's fans and an average program's fans. An Ohio State fan has every reason to expect to beat every team he plays. Sure, some games they should anticipate will be harder than others, but if you don't have confidence that OSU will beat Iowa every time they play, OSU has a major problem. OSU is 33-6-1 vs Iowa in the past forty years, if I did my research right, and 45-14-3 all time.

With a lopsided history like that, Iowa wins can best be described as, "even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes."

Thanks knapplc for the numbers. I don't think of myself as a blind homer but maybe I am. I just see the series between OSU and Iowa for what it is.....very lopsided when it comes to the W/L column. Sure, Iowa has almost beat OSU on many occasions if that makes you feel better.

Or the difference between a realist and someone with blinders on. Sure the all time series says alot. But I got one for you to look at, Most winning percent. We all KNOW OH and Nebraska should be right up there right? I mean they are old school power houses and won many games in the day.

1970-2010

#1 Nebraska

#2 OH St

#48 Iowa

1980-2010

#1 Nebraska

#4 OH St

#26 Iowa

1990-2010

#2 OH St

#4 Nebraska

#37 Iowa

2000 -2010

#4 OH St

#18 Nebraska

Tied at #22 Iowa

2005-2010

Tied at 2nd OH st

25th Nebraska

tied at 30th Iowa

2008-2010

Tied at 4th OH St

Tied at 14th Iowa

19th Nebraska

Now imagine if Iowa had beaten OH St in 09 and 10 OR imagine if the B10 takes those wins away for getting caught running a shady program. That would mean in 09 OH ST should have never been B10 champs but rather Iowa and Iowa goes to the Rose. As a OH St fan that "expects" to beat Iowa, you must be proud, you had to run a shady program to beat us by a field goal (one in OT), two years straight? I mean a field goal each time, it shouldnt be hard to imagine the W turning into a L. Basically 1 ball that got dropped turned into a catch.

So basically all three are top 20 teams. Infact since 08 Iowa and OH St are top 15. When you get down to the top 20 teams you know as well as I do anything can happen. Who has home field, heck even wind in a stadium can influence a game. So as an Iowa fan, I will say I dont think Nebraksa or OH St have much room for chest beating. And if you think you do, ya better start making room for more chest beaters.

Now onto non chest beating football talk. With TP gone, do you expect OH St to run the ball more? I think you have some talent at RB, no more TP and a less experienced qb now. Mabey back to a more "pro set"?

You really don't understand the difference between a program with long-term success compared to a program who, once in a while, has a good recruiting class or two and turns out a couple of good teams? You're basically talking about one recruiting cycle. Let's see what happens now that you've lost a three-year starter at QB.

Further, you're breaking this down to the last three seasons to prove a point - a more arbitrary number couldn't be imaginable. Why not take the last 12 seasons? Or the last 7? Or the last 16? Why not just talk about last season alone, where Iowa was the last of all three schools?

And while we're imagining what would have happened if just one more pass was caught for Iowa in 2009, imagine also if one more were dropped against Michigan State, Arkansas State, Michigan and Northern Iowa - all Hawkeye wins by three points or less. Suddenly you're staring down the barrel of a six-loss season and your whole argument falls apart.