B1G top ten Tight Ends

Top Ten TE's

1. Kyler Reed, Nebraska, junior:Here's a name Big

Ten fans need to know. Why? He might terrorize your team's defense when it goes

up against Nebraska this fall. Reed is a gifted pass-catching tight end who

averaged 18 yards per reception and scored eight touchdowns in 2010. The Huskers

lack proven depth at receiver, so Reed should be a focal point of the passing

game in Tim Beck's offense.

one thing i have been disappointed in the last few seasons is the lack of TE utilization. I think the staff cost Mcneill some cash by switching positions and not utilizing him enough. hopefully this changes in '11

Yeah, McNeill got the shaft last year when we went with Martinez, who wasn't nearly as prolific a passer as Lee. With Lee at the helm I bet we pass a LOT more, and McNeill's numbers look tons better.

one thing i have been disappointed in the last few seasons is the lack of TE utilization. I think the staff cost Mcneill some cash by switching positions and not utilizing him enough. hopefully this changes in '11

Yeah, McNeill got the shaft last year when we went with Martinez, who wasn't nearly as prolific a passer as Lee. With Lee at the helm I bet we pass a LOT more, and McNeill's numbers look tons better.

Yes, and i believe he would have had a legitimate opportunity in the NFL. With his hands and putting some pounds on him.... he could have had, and still may, an opportunity.

That's a fair statement, thought McNeill was in for a monster year, but wasn't meant to be. Hope the tables turn for Reed and the TE becomes a regular in the offense, they need to use all the tools they can this year.

One espn blog ranks Kyler Reed as the #1 TE in the B1G. Another espn blog ranks our TE/WR unit at 7th in the B1G. LINK Does that mean our WRs are among the worst in the conference? (Or does it mean espn bloggers have their heads up their respective asses?)

One espn blog ranks Kyler Reed as the #1 TE in the B1G. Another espn blog ranks our TE/WR unit at 7th in the B1G. LINK Does that mean our WRs are among the worst in the conference? (Or does it mean espn bloggers have their heads up their respective asses?)

It means we have Reed, Kinnie, and um........

I think 7 is a tad low, but we don't have any proven depth.

Oh, we got some talent on the roster. Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa, Curenski Gilleylen. Who knows, we might even line up Jamal Turner some at Z to stretch the field. The only reason most these guys aren't proven talent is because we didn't pass much last year. Except against Okie Lite. And that worked out okay for us.

Oh, we got some talent on the roster. Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Kenny Bell, Quincy Enunwa, Curenski Gilleylen. Who knows, we might even line up Jamal Turner some at Z to stretch the field. The only reason most these guys aren't proven talent is because we didn't pass much last year. Except against Okie Lite. And that worked out okay for us.

Agree that we have potential, but of the names you mentioned, none of them have done anything except for CG 2 years ago. The key phrase is proven depth.

That was the WORST pass defense in the B12-2. I think we will see Jamal more in a slot role than anything. Hopefully BK steps up and has a big year. The larger issue is not weather the depth is capable but rather if the QB can get the ball to them.

That was the WORST pass defense in the B12-2. I think we will see Jamal more in a slot role than anything.

Yeah, that's where Jamal is most likely to see PT. I was just naming people we *might* see lined up at WR.

Hopefully BK steps up and has a big year. The larger issue is not weather the depth is capable but rather if the QB can get the ball to them.

Yeah, and the crux of that larger issue is whether our O-line can at least give Martinez at least the three seconds or so he needs to go through a progression and get the ball off.

That was the WORST pass defense in the B12-2. I think we will see Jamal more in a slot role than anything.

Yeah, that's where Jamal is most likely to see PT. I was just naming people we *might* see lined up at WR.

Hopefully BK steps up and has a big year. The larger issue is not weather the depth is capable but rather if the QB can get the ball to them.

Yeah, and the crux of that larger issue is whether our O-line can at least give Martinez at least the three seconds or so he needs to go through a progression and get the ball off.

I think this is a make or BREAK year for coach Cotton. He has all the tools and expertise of former coaches to utilize that help and failed to do so last year. It will be interesting to see if he DOES utilize that help this year. If not, he may be a goner. I'm not thoroughly impressed with him or the O-line.

I think the jury is still out on Kyler, at least for me. He was great for us last year, but I think the main reasons for his quote unquote greatness were good scheme moreso than his prowess as a player (I could be wrong). Hell, half of his touchdowns came off the exact same play where all he does is run as fast as he can and be wide freaking open because the defense sold out to stop the run.

I hope he proves that ranking right!