Mike Gesell Watch

I am bored with QB depth debates, and all the other meaningless crap more or less that happens during the offseason. So I figure if Bubba can have a watch thread, why not Mike.

I figured at least it may get bballbacker to make an appearance.

SO the big news today is Mike Gesell is that good, which the majority of us knew. And we also find out that if Mike Gesell decides to stay in state for college it will not be up the road as Creighton has been cut from his list.

NU, Iowa and Stanford are his faves at this point, but watch out if Virginia throws an offer out. They are in constant contact, and the lure of the ACC may be too much to pass up.

Until November, probably the next time this thread gets busy. PEACE.

Long live the Gesell, and Doc this is your man.

• Fire 2

Nebraska has about a 25% chance of getting him. Doc has never landed a big time recruit.

Well he actually has sort of landed two players of his caliber already but neither of them ever made it on campus. Roburt Sallie I believe was even ranked higher than him, but thanks to something going wrong in the admissions office, he could never make it here. The other was Vander Joaquim who at one point was in rivals 150 and committed and signed to us but I have no idea what happened to him. Doc has had a little bit of experience but I get your point.

Nebraska has about a 25% chance of getting him. Doc has never landed a big time recruit.

Well he actually has sort of landed two players of his caliber already but neither of them ever made it on campus. Roburt Sallie I believe was even ranked higher than him, but thanks to something going wrong in the admissions office, he could never make it here. The other was Vander Joaquim who at one point was in rivals 150 and committed and signed to us but I have no idea what happened to him. Doc has had a little bit of experience but I get your point.

This cat was supposed to be the holy grail of sorts. He was a big time talent that chose Doc's speil over the likes of UCLA. What in the hell did happen to this kid? Time to go Columbo on this question's ass.

EDIT- I found him. He is a junior at Hawaii. Attended the College of Eastern Utah out of high school. I remember him playing at a high school in Cali, but he ended up graduating from a Academy in West Virginia. Do not recall what the shake down was with this kid.

This cat was supposed to be the holy grail of sorts. He was a big time talent that chose Doc's speil over the likes of UCLA. What in the hell did happen to this kid? Time to go Columbo on this question's ass.

EDIT- I found him. He is a junior at Hawaii. Attended the College of Eastern Utah out of high school. I remember him playing at a high school in Cali, but he ended up graduating from a Academy in West Virginia. Do not recall what the shake down was with this kid.

I believe his problem was admittance, not necessarily another screw up by NU's admissions, but something that someone should have made Doc aware of sooner... or maybe he knew and just wanted to take a shot anyway.

I'll give Doc a 51% chance of landing this kid only because of the new facilities. That new practice building/locker rooms is freakin' BAD ASS. It really is top of the line, you can travel around to any basketball power you want and you will not see anything that is better than what NU now has. If it weren't for the facilities, I'd still probably give Doc a 30-40% chance, but that could be me seeing through rose-colored glasses. It'd be great if anyone on this board was from SSC and could give us an idea of what the Gesell family is like... are they Husker hoop fans? Glory whores? Anyone?...

I'll give Doc a 51% chance of landing this kid only because of the new facilities. That new practice building/locker rooms is freakin' BAD ASS. It really is top of the line, you can travel around to any basketball power you want and you will not see anything that is better than what NU now has. If it weren't for the facilities, I'd still probably give Doc a 30-40% chance, but that could be me seeing through rose-colored glasses. It'd be great if anyone on this board was from SSC and could give us an idea of what the Gesell family is like... are they Husker hoop fans? Glory whores? Anyone?...

After watching Mike enough the last two years at state, reading his interviews and watching his interviews on the telly, I am pretty sure if there is any glory whoring in the gene pool it has skipped this kid. Ultimate team player, and class act on the court.

After watching Mike enough the last two years at state, reading his interviews and watching his interviews on the telly, I am pretty sure if there is any glory whoring in the gene pool it has skipped this kid. Ultimate team player, and class act on the court.

Good to hear. I've only been to a couple of his games and came away with a similar feeling, but it's comforting to know someone else thought the same.

I have only seen this kid play twice, but I was not all that impressed. The first time was this last season when South Sioux City played Bellevue East. My little brother guarded Gessel (and I don't want to sound like one of those guys that thinks his brother is the greatest thing ever. My brother is going to Nebraska Wesleyan to play ball. He is good but not great by any means). Gessel was held to 11 points in regulation. A good player, but overrated IMO.

I 've only seen him twice, and he was a difference maker both times. Great high school ball handler with a sweet mid range jumper and 85 to 90 % FT shooter. For those of you old enough to remember -- he is as good or better than Jack Moore coming out of High School. I think the Huskers have as good a chance as any of the other current suitors to land him with the unmatched facilities and the opportunity to play in the Big Ten . . . . and if they do . . . they stand a decent chance to land his AAU teammate 7-0 , 230 lb Adam Woodbury of Sioux City ( they are good friends ).

That would be TWO Rivals 4 star recruits-- and HELL WOULD SURELY FREEZE OVER !

I went to high school with him (I was a senior when he was a freshman so I don't know him personally all that well) and the kid is a gym rat. Everyday after school when I got done lifting he would always be shooting around. But I know him and his parents enough that he won't make a decision until he knows for sure which college is right for him.

I have only seen this kid play twice, but I was not all that impressed. The first time was this last season when South Sioux City played Bellevue East. My little brother guarded Gessel (and I don't want to sound like one of those guys that thinks his brother is the greatest thing ever. My brother is going to Nebraska Wesleyan to play ball. He is good but not great by any means). Gessel was held to 11 points in regulation. A good player, but overrated IMO.

Whats your little bros name so i can talk to him on the court next year when we play them?

Just curious how many points did the other guard Groth go for? The thing with Gesell that is truely enjoyable to watch is that he never forces his game. He is willing to get his teammates involved and keep feeding them when they are hot. More often than not that was Groth. When the time is needed he can flip the switch on and take over a game.

Just curious how many points did the other guard Groth go for? The thing with Gesell that is truely enjoyable to watch is that he never forces his game. He is willing to get his teammates involved and keep feeding them when they are hot. More often than not that was Groth. When the time is needed he can flip the switch on and take over a game.

You beat me to it, PC. The thing that impressed me most in the state games (other than his pull up jumper) was how calm and unselfish he was. Most guys that age that are "the guy" are hot dogs and ball hogs. The games I watched, he was more than happy to collect an assist and let someone else do the scoring, but at the same time you felt like he was always in control and could create if he needed to. I'd also like to know his shooting percentage from that game, if he was 5-27 it's a little different than if he was 5-9.