Shaun Prater on Nebraska

Who is saying this? This is a complete straw man.

This was a response to teacher’s post, which they responded and explained their statement.

I’m sure I dreamed up people having discussions about Billy C’s lack of in-state recruiting and how Bo is reviving the in-state players. I’ll have my facts checker look into it and get back to you.

"People" having those discussions aren't part of this thread. Go respond to those people in those threads. Don't drum up an argument in this thread that isn't being made in this discussion to grind some axe you're still worried about four years after your coach got canned.

but we can add him as another good instate prospect missed out on under Callahan, along with Woodhead.

I'm pretty sure Frankie dropped the ball on that one. :dunno Billy C came in towards the end and tried to get Woodhead but he stuck to his commitment that he had already made. I could be wrong about that though (I'm sure someone will say if I am) <_<

but we can add him as another good instate prospect missed out on under Callahan, along with Woodhead.

I'm pretty sure Frankie dropped the ball on that one. :dunno Billy C came in towards the end and tried to get Woodhead but he stuck to his commitment that he had already made.

That's the story I remember, too. I also don't blame Woodhead for not coming to Nebraska since Callahan was, like Bo, unproven as a head coach at this level. I also believe Callahan offered to let Woodhead walk-on, and didn't offer him a schollie. Not positive about that, though.

I could be wrong about that though (I'm sure someone will say if I am) <_<

:violin

Billy C’s four recruiting classes included 14 in-state kids (04 – 5, 05 – 3, 06 – 4, 07 – 2).

Bo’s first four recruiting classes included 14 in-state kids (08 – 5, 09 – 2, 10 – 4, 11 – 3).

Maybe Billy C didn’t bring in as many in-state walk-ons but to say he didn’t sign in-state kids and then turn around and say Bo does is crazy. The facts don’t lie though because they signed the same amount of in-state kids.

FWIW: One of Bo’s signees was offered by our AD and another has a father on the staff.

Is Ames Iowa (where he graduated from) a part of Nebraska? I know the Huskers owned ISU, but does the town come with it?

I remember thinking that maybe we should have recruited Prater more. Given him a schollie.

Even now there are Nebraska HS players on the bubble of being able make it in D1 ball that I wonder about. The thing is, if we can attract a handful of these guys to NU as a recruited walk-ons it's a HUGE advantage to our program. It's about like getting a handful of extra scholarships. I'm talking about guys comparable in skill to a Shaun Prater when he was in HS. Like, say, Mike Caputo or Austin Cassidy. Getting these guys as walk-ons rather than initially as scholarship players is one advantage NU has over other programs.

Is Ames Iowa (where he graduated from) a part of Nebraska? I know the Huskers owned ISU, but does the town come with it?

Jake Cotton is the one "from" Nebraska.

Ben Cotton is "from" Iowa.

My bad - I missed the first *four* part and was thinking just the first year

And IMO Shaun probably would have been a nickel/ dime back last year while backing up Prince and Zo. Would be competing for the other corner slot this year. I have never been overly impressed. The kid has speed though and seems to have matured(obviously better than Shane) well. Still would have taken David Whitmore over Prater

He wouldn't have taken Hagg's spot - we designed our whole defense around Hagg, he was more valuable than Prince or Alfonzo. He would have had to beat Gomes, or maybe he would have been moved to safety, I don't know.

Aside from a move to safety, it's hard for me to imagine him being on the field last year in Nebraska's secondary.

This was a response to teacher’s post, which they responded and explained their statement.

I’m sure I dreamed up people having discussions about Billy C’s lack of in-state recruiting and how Bo is reviving the in-state players. I’ll have my facts checker look into it and get back to you.

"People" having those discussions aren't part of this thread. Go respond to those people in those threads. Don't drum up an argument in this thread that isn't being made in this discussion to grind some axe you're still worried about four years after your coach got canned.

Like I said my response was towards teacher saying that “my coach” didn’t know where Omaha was. I took that to be a shot at “my coaches” in-state recruiting. I then went as far as to also think it meant that “my new coach” knows where Omaha is thus meaning “my new coach” recruits in-state. So technically I did need to take my response to any other thread then the one it is already in. So basically it was me jumping to conclusions and assuming things. (Yes I know what they say about that)

As far as Prater is concerned, I think it worked out better for him that he ended up at Iowa. He would not have played in front of Prince or Alfonso so he would basically be going after his first year of starting this season. He would not be in the position he is now as one of the top returning DB’s in the nation he would be an unknown commodity.

As far as Prater is concerned, I think it worked out better for him that he ended up at Iowa. He would not have played in front of Prince or Alfonso so he would basically be going after his first year of starting this season. He would not be in the position he is now as one of the top returning DB’s in the nation he would be an unknown commodity.

That is a good way to look at it. You cant blame a kid for going where he has the best shot. As others have said, spotting, recruiting and developing talent is a hit miss deal. You only have so many offers to make and the nation is full of kids that want to play. It would be different if a state had 5 stars leaving on a regular basis, but I am not a big fan of the "star system" anyway.

Like I said my response was towards teacher saying that “my coach” didn’t know where Omaha was. I took that to be a shot at “my coaches” in-state recruiting. I then went as far as to also think it meant that “my new coach” knows where Omaha is thus meaning “my new coach” recruits in-state. So technically I did need to take my response to any other thread then the one it is already in. So basically it was me jumping to conclusions and assuming things. (Yes I know what they say about that)

So you admit Callahan was your coach. Thus, you admit you're actually Steve Pederson. N'est ce pas? ;)

Would Prater have gotten on the field last year at Nebraska? Honestly curious, I don't know his playing that well.

He would have had to beat out Amukumara, Dennard, Gomes, or Hagg.

He likely would have beaten out Hagg. Pretty easily imo. Hagg was solid but not spectacular.

Would Prater have gotten on the field last year at Nebraska? Honestly curious, I don't know his playing that well.

He would have had to beat out Amukumara, Dennard, Gomes, or Hagg.

He likely would have beaten out Hagg. Pretty easily imo. Hagg was solid but not spectacular.

Bo Pelini designed an entire defense around Eric Hagg. You have got to be kidding me with this.