Key Huskers: #4 Rex Burkhead

988930.jpg

Key Huskers: #4 Rex Burkhead

Robin Washut HuskerOnline.com Staff Writer

Burkhead's strengths

Junior running back Rex Burkhead has shown he can do just about anything over the course of his first two seasons at Nebraska. Whether its being the Huskers' workhorse in the backfield, making big plays as a receiver or even running the entire offense as the Wildcat quarterback, Burkhead has established himself as the heartbeat of NU's offensive unit.

Most memorable play or moment

Nebraska was looking directly at its worst-case scenario entering its game at Iowa State last season, as starting quarterback Taylor Martinez was forced to sit out with an ankle injury and leaving Cody Green and Latravis Washington as the only healthy quarterbacks on the travel roster. Luckily, the Huskers had a Plan B at quarterback in Burkhead.

With Green struggling to get much done with the offense, Burkhead took countless snaps out of the Wildcat formation and racked up a game- and career-high 129 rushing yards and two touchdowns, including a 19-yard scoring run for the eventual winning touchdown in overtime, as the Huskers snuck out a 31-30 victory. With Martinez struggling with the injury for the rest of the year, that game marked the start of Burkhead's regular role as the Wildcat quarterback.

LINK

Can't wait to see Burkhead as an every down back. The guy can do it all. He is Superman.

I think Burkhead's a great player but his most memorable play was the drop against Texas. I wouldn't be surprised if that still haunts him a little bit. This should be a big year for him.

In his mind he probably remembers the fumble against Washington and the incomplete pass to Martinez against Oklahoma more than anything else.

I think Burkhead's a great player but his most memorable play was the drop against Texas. I wouldn't be surprised if that still haunts him a little bit. This should be a big year for him.

In his mind he probably remembers the fumble against Washington and the incomplete pass to Martinez against Oklahoma more than anything else.

The pass in the CCG would have been huge. Imagine the momentum that would have carried. So close.

Nice to see some jabs at Rex for his play as a sophomore. I'll throw my jabs at a WR who now plays for the Redskins. That guy had enough bad plays for a career last year and if he were here this year shouldn't make a top ten list unless it was for mistakes.

Rex did just fine and will play better then most Juniors, just as he played better then most sophomores.

Nice to see some jabs at Rex for his play as a sophomore. I'll throw my jabs at a WR who now plays for the Redskins. That guy had enough bad plays for a career last year and if he were here this year shouldn't make a top ten list unless it was for mistakes.

Rex did just fine and will play better then most Juniors, just as he played better then most sophomores.

gotta let that go too, I still have nightmares about Niles Paul.

Id like to see him at number 1 on this list, but Lavonte and Crick are well deserving.

David and Crick are certainly deserving, but I'd also like to see Rex at #1. He's the best and most consistent player we had on offense, and I think he has really good leadership qualities. There were times when we put the offense on his shoulders, and all things considered I think he performed admirably.

There's a part of me that thinks he would have made a better QB than TMart.