Any Native Americans on here?

I'm curious to hear opinions from anyone of Native American descent regarding the use of mascots pertaining to Native Americans. My question relates to an article on ESPiN reporting that North Dakota is being forced to change their mascot. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6856970/north-dakota-officials-prepared-change-fighting-sioux-nickname

North Dakota is currently known as the Fighting Sioux. Maybe it's all around in bad taste to begin with, but why North Dakota and not also Florida State?

In addition to NCAA-imposed sanctions, other schools already have threatened to keep North Dakota off their schedules and the Big Sky Conference, which the school hopes to join next fall, has told North Dakota that its conference affiliation could be jeopardized without a resolution.

"Based on that, the consequences of not changing the Sioux logo are too great," Dalrymple said.

Before the name can change, it must also be approved by the board of directors of the alumni association, which Dalrymple said already has signed petitions to do so.

I'm curious. Define "Native American" please.

How about that Johnny Cash song "A boy named Sioux" ???? what now???

in that same vein then I must be a : American American or a Dutch American or a South African American

just messin' whicha

GBR

Political Correctness Nazis are far more annoying and offensive than any Native American mascot ever could be.

I feel this way, too, but I am a "European American", so I really can't wrap my head around whether to find it offensive or not. If someone who is of Native American descent finds it offensive, then it's good they are trying to change things. Otherwise, let traditions lie.

I'm curious to hear opinions from anyone of Native American descent regarding the use of mascots pertaining to Native Americans. My question relates to an article on ESPiN reporting that North Dakota is being forced to change their mascot. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6856970/north-dakota-officials-prepared-change-fighting-sioux-nickname

North Dakota is currently known as the Fighting Sioux. Maybe it's all around in bad taste to begin with, but why North Dakota and not also Florida State?

In addition to NCAA-imposed sanctions, other schools already have threatened to keep North Dakota off their schedules and the Big Sky Conference, which the school hopes to join next fall, has told North Dakota that its conference affiliation could be jeopardized without a resolution.

"Based on that, the consequences of not changing the Sioux logo are too great," Dalrymple said.

Before the name can change, it must also be approved by the board of directors of the alumni association, which Dalrymple said already has signed petitions to do so.

I know Florida State and Illinois got the ok from their tribes to allow them to keep it. North Dakota one of the tribes didn't give their ok withe the nickname and so they have to change it. What is really stupid most of them don't care it's a minority that don't like it.

I'm Brule Lakota, that's Sioux, to most everyone who doesn't know better.

As far as the whole mascot thing goes, it's convenient activism. You realize teams with native American mascots have been around for decades. Where was the outrage then?

As far as the Fighting Sioux thing goes, that has been my college hockey team since I was a kid. I've always found that a source of pride. To have these a$$hole$ want to change it, pissed me off no end.

I've exchanged several emails with those involved, voicing my displeasure, and at times, been in so many words called a traitor because "I'm on the side of the whites".

FYI, Walksalone, is my indian name.

• Fire 2

That was also going to be a question - who initiated this sudden outrage and what is their stake in all of this name/mascot change business?

There's a couple different outfits that are trying to get it changed. Apparently some students at the school, a nearby reservation.

There's no real stake in it. It's just them trying to do what is right in their misguided eyes.