You must stay in the Big 12

I will MAKE you love me...

The Big 12 staved off extinction last summer with the 10 remaining school pledged to stick together. But one year later Texas A&M is making noise about leaving for the SEC due to dissatisfaction with Texas and its Longhorn Network.

While the conference is saying it will survive whether Texas A&M stays or goes, there is movement toward making some safeguards that ensure school don't exit in the future.

"We do have to do get something to secure our future ... and that probably means putting your name on the dotted line," Texas Tech president Guy Bailey told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "Doing that in a legally binding way is pretty important."

Bailey suggests written agreements with "real enforceable commitment" would help as the league expands by one or three schools if Texas A&M leaves, which he said the conference has to plan for to protect itself.

"It's incumbent on us to be aggressive in assuring the future of the conference," Bailey said. "If not, we're going to be in the same boat again next year or the year after."

For Tech (and KSU, ISU, Baylor, at least) that would be fine - they don't have many options. But I can't imagine OU or OSU (given that they are tied to OU) ever signing something like that. Not with the way the Longhorns have positioned themselves to go independent (regarless whether that ever happens). OU certainly has options, as well as Texas A&M and Missouri (and even Kansas with its basketball program).

The funny thing to me is... this is the exact type of commitment they WOULDN'T make when Nebraska asked for it... but now that they've saved the ut 12 (such as it is), they want to make sure nobody else can exit without some pain being inflicted. Not that the $$ Colorado and Nebraska paid weren't pain enough, or that T A&M won't pay enough... but they want to make sure it's worse for anyone else. If I were anyone else in the conference right now, I'd be looking to find my exit strategy, and find it before I ever signed the agreement. That's not a place you want to be permanently tied into.

The funny thing to me is... this is the exact type of commitment they WOULDN'T make when Nebraska asked for it... but now that they've saved the ut 12 (such as it is), they want to make sure nobody else can exit without some pain being inflicted. Not that the $$ Colorado and Nebraska paid weren't pain enough, or that T A&M won't pay enough... but they want to make sure it's worse for anyone else. If I were anyone else in the conference right now, I'd be looking to find my exit strategy, and find it before I ever signed the agreement. That's not a place you want to be permanently tied into.

Exactly. I seem to remember the same thing happening last summer, only in reverse. Nebraska asked for a pledge from the rest of the Big 12 that no one would leave. How ironic!

I seriously doubt they could get eight of the ten Big XII institutions to go along with this (3/4s majority would be required for this IIRC).

Oklahoma, A&M, and Missouri would all want to keep their options open. And Okie Lite has been reading their own press clippings, so they may feel as if they could get a solo invite to a BCS conference (very unlikely) if the Big XII goes tits up.

Honestly, if the Big XII wanted to fix itself, it would vote Texas, and then Beebe, out of the conference. It could survive if they had a leader who wasn't a f*****g idiot.

Hell, anyone on this board could do a better job than that f*** ***d Beebe. Hell, a three year old could do a better job.

B12-2 is rumbling again with ESPN's comments about High School highlight packages. What part of "NO" doesn't ESPN and TU understand? A&M isn't the only one getting fed up.

But A&M and Missouri are the only ones with the cojones to go anywhere.

And I think Fro should be extremely pleased that I accused Missouri of having said cojones. Likely doesn't happen very often from a Nebraska fan. ;)