Bad Luck Charms

I used to be superstitious about sports. Then I turned 12.

+1

I get a chuckle from seeing grown adults worrying about stupid superstitious nonsense like this (also astrology, fairytales, chupacabras, fortune tellers, big foots or alien abductions). Being rude to a friend of the family over nonsense like that just takes the OP's story to absurd levels of crass.

+1

I get a chuckle from seeing grown adults worrying about stupid superstitious nonsense like this (also astrology, fairytales, chupacabras, fortune tellers, big foots or alien abductions). Being rude to a friend of the family over nonsense like that takes this to entirely different levels of crass.

Many pro athletes are superstitious. Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman are two that come to mind right away.

+1

I get a chuckle from seeing grown adults worrying about stupid superstitious nonsense like this (also astrology, fairytales, chupacabras, fortune tellers, big foots or alien abductions). Being rude to a friend of the family over nonsense like that takes this to entirely different levels of crass.

Many pro athletes are superstitious. Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman are two that come to mind right away.

*giggles wildly at Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman*

I flat out told her there was NO FRIGGEN WAY and told her she was bad luck. :LOLtartar

Was that too mean?

It might be her clothing that causes the bad luck. Tell her she can come, but she has to leave her clothing at the door.

i havent scrolled down to check yet but i felt obligated to inform you that "got carl" is not a dude....

.....although using "carl" in your name certainly makes you seem like a dude....

+1

*Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman show you their fingers and then laugh wildly at everyone*

+1

They may claim they're superstitious, but when you have a direct impact on the game like that, it's more of a routine and frankly it makes sense because it's helping them get mentally prepared. Very different from a guy sitting on his couch watching the game on tv.

+1

They may claim they're superstitious, but when you have a direct impact on the game like that, it's more of a routine and frankly it makes sense because it's helping them get mentally prepared. Very different from a guy sitting on his couch watching the game on tv.

You wouldn't think the greatest professional basketball player of all time would rely on superstition, but even Michael Jordan himself was known for a specific quirk. While leading the Chicago Bulls to six NBA championships during his legendary career, the five-time MVP wore his University of North Carolina shorts under his uniform in every game. Jordan led UNC to the NCAA Championships in 1982 and believed the mesh marvels brought him luck. In order to cover his lucky pair, Jordan began wearing longer shorts, which inspired a trend in the NBA

While her on-court aggressiveness and competitive nature have given her a reputation as one of the greatest and most feared female tennis players of all time, Serena Williams believes much of her winning ways are the result of closely followed routines. For the 27-year-old, these quirks include bringing her shower sandals to the court, tying her shoelaces a specific way and bouncing the ball five times before her first serve and twice before her second. The three-time Wimbledon champ will even wear the same pair of socks during a tournament run. Williams is so set in her superstitions, she has chalked up major losses to not following her own routine correctly.

+1

*Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman show you their fingers and then laugh wildly at everyone*

It could have been superstition that helped them get those rings. Or it could have been Michael Jordan.

And if you honestly believe his college shorts gave him magic powers, or even luck, please punch yourself in the face.

+1

You wouldn't think the greatest professional basketball player of all time would rely on superstition, but even Michael Jordan himself was known for a specific quirk. While leading the Chicago Bulls to six NBA championships during his legendary career, the five-time MVP wore his University of North Carolina shorts under his uniform in every game. Jordan led UNC to the NCAA Championships in 1982 and believed the mesh marvels brought him luck. In order to cover his lucky pair, Jordan began wearing longer shorts, which inspired a trend in the NBA

While her on-court aggressiveness and competitive nature have given her a reputation as one of the greatest and most feared female tennis players of all time, Serena Williams believes much of her winning ways are the result of closely followed routines. For the 27-year-old, these quirks include bringing her shower sandals to the court, tying her shoelaces a specific way and bouncing the ball five times before her first serve and twice before her second. The three-time Wimbledon champ will even wear the same pair of socks during a tournament run. Williams is so set in her superstitions, she has chalked up major losses to not following her own routine correctly.

Thank you for proving my point. Jordan could have won every one of those games without his UNC shorts on. Serena could have won every one of those matches without her shower sandals. They may call them superstitions, but in reality they are routines that help them get focused on the game. And again, since you seem to have missed the point the first time, you wearing a specific shirt is not a routine getting a player in the right frame of mind, it's your attempt at feeling like you have some kind of control over the game... which you do not.

Like bball_backer said above, the superstition-based rituals by players might help them get mentally focused on the game at hand, but that has nothing to do with any sort of supernatural influence of some sort of mojo held by their lucky jersey, shorts, jock or whatever. It comes down to who has the better athletes, game plan and execution (mental focus), not who has the luckiest socks. They have those rings because they were an amazing team led by one of the greatest players of all time in any sport.

How many games did they lose while wearing their lucky gear or whatever? Where was their lucky talisman then? No one seems to blame their failures on their lucky shirt for some reason.

• Fire 1

Are we really having a debate on if superstitions are valid or not? :facepalm:

I'm laid up with an injury right now and BTN is playing the '05 Mich/OSU game which I watched yesterday, the hunting shows are nothing good, and a guy can only take so many Sport Centers in a day, so until I find somethin else to do, looks like it's debating superstitions...