Rex Burkhead Ready to Carry Load for Nebraska

jsneb83

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) Running back Rex Burkhead is the one sure thing Nebraska's young and overhauled offense can count on going into the season.

Quarterback Taylor Martinez is coming back from injury, the offensive line is unsettled and the receivers are mostly unproven.

Burkhead, however, has been extremely dependable and versatile the last two years as Roy Helu Jr.'s backup. The junior from Plano, Texas, will go it alone as the featured back this season after running for 951 yards and seven touchdowns a year ago.

Asked if he's excited about the opportunity to carry 20-25 times a game, Burkhead answers enthusiastically.

"Absolutely,'' he said. "Whatever the coaches want me to do, I'm ready for it.''

Burkhead has averaged 11 carries a game in his career, and he's never had more than 20 in a game. He made the most of his attempts in 2010, posting three 100-yard games and averaging 5.5 yards per run.

Link from BTN.com

Hopefully Rex's shoulders don't hurt too much because we are gonna need him for the long haul.

I like Rex, does anyone know what his stats are compared to a guy like Buckhalter?

I remember thinking Buckhalter was a really dependable running back but not super flashy. I thought he ended up in the top 10 in rushing and averaged about 5 yards a carry too. I remember people not always thinking that much of him though.

Rex is not super flashy, but he has had his share of really cool plays/runs. I wonder if his stats will end up like Buckhalters or a lot better.