High school freshman commits to NU

Southeast freshman Shepard commits to NU

By Mike Patterson WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER « Big Red Today

She has yet to play a varsity game, but Jess Shepard already knows her college destination. The Lincoln Southeast freshman has accepted a scholarship offer to play basketball at Nebraska for head coach Connie Yori after making an unofficial visit to the school last week. The commitment for the 2015-16 season was confirmed by Dan Lesoing, who coached Shepard as a member of his Cornhusker Shooting Stars team.

The 6-foot-2 Shepard caught the attention of coaches while playing this summer for the Shooting Stars and the Shooting Stars/Bison select team. She has been a part of the Shooting Stars program since the fourth grade.

LINK

Isn't it a little disturbing that Nebraska cranks out more D1 women's BBall prospects than men? Call me puzzled.

I'll bet Nebraska cranks out more top volleyball prospects than football prospects. Odd, isn't it?

Isn't it a little disturbing that Nebraska cranks out more D1 women's BBall prospects than men? Call me puzzled.

I'll bet Nebraska cranks out more top volleyball prospects than football prospects. Odd, isn't it?

I know it's not like this all across the state, but my hometown has puzzled me for the past 15 years or so (on average): the guys have been extremely undersized and average-to-below-average at sports while the girls have all been tall and way above average at sports. It makes no sense but has been true nearly every year with maybe one or two exceptions.

While I know the boys teams have some elite programs that play, the girls programs have just been lights out. How is South Sioux City these days? That program was a nationally ranked program for several years, and that coach had the ability to bring in players from around the nation to play for him there. But I'd agree, the girls programs overall in the state seem to just have that notch above the boys programs.

While I know the boys teams have some elite programs that play, the girls programs have just been lights out. How is South Sioux City these days? That program was a nationally ranked program for several years, and that coach had the ability to bring in players from around the nation to play for him there. But I'd agree, the girls programs overall in the state seem to just have that notch above the boys programs.

Not the alpha dog that they used to be. Still a Top Ten team in Class B though. Seward right now is the South Sioux of old.