Why so much pessimism?

The King

It's not pessimism.

It's the fact that the offense we saw yesterday, wasn't that much difference from what we saw in the beginning of last year. Granted, it is the first game, and the whole offensive scheme is still a work in progress, due to the fact that yesterday was the first real practical application of what we've been hearing about.

So not pessimism, but more careful skepticism.

+1.

Also, we have seen a trend over the last few years where our offense looks decent/good at the beginning of the year and steadily worsens over the course of the season. Hopefully that changes with a new offensive coordinator. If not . . . I shudder to think of what our offense will look like after it regresses from what we saw yesterday. :hmmph

Carlfense, that's the whole point. The argument is not what did/should our offense have done last night. The question is, what is it going to be like as the season progresses? Nothing else matters. The MO under Watson was start fast and deteriorate, sometimes peppered with a solid enough performance (Holiday Bowl) to keep optimism flickeringly alive. Beck's true test––his only test––is can he produce an offense this year that IMPROVES to the point where we can hang 21-28 points on a Wisconsin, an Ohio State, a Penn State. If yes, he'll be our guy. If not, Bo's seat starts to get hot, and deservedly.

Agreed, on all points.

Don't know which I would rather have, an offensive line that lets running backs get up-field but consistently gets called for holding, or an offensive line that doesn't get called for holding, lets the ground game work for some big and intermediate plays, and also doesn't get called for holding once.

Maybe they (OLine coaches) are trying to teach the guys how to block without holding, and if they didn't hold at all, well then that's at least a small victory.

I think one of the problems from yesterday was blocking at the second level. We had times where the blocking was really good to start, but then we had nobody to get to that second level and stop the backers from making tackles. There were also a couple of perimeter runs yesterday that failed because of poor blocking by a wide receiver. In many cases, one block can mean a four yard gain or a 10+ yard gain.

I'm optimistic that cotton will be fired after the season. As for our team....we are championship caliber on defense and kicking. Again. But worse on offense than last yr. Oline is awful. Saying we were simple is dumb. We couldn't push...block...or execute while being super simple ...that means we will look worse when we get more complex. Wrs can't catch and rbs are helpless without an oline. Expect to win 9 games but nothing more.

Offense looks worse than last year? OH. Really? Wow. We scored 40 points. 40. Yea it was Chattanooga, and FCS opponent. How did our offense fair against the FCS South Dakota State last year, when you said the offense was better? 17. 17 points with an offense that had a few games behind it already. This was the first game ever for some of the oline. That statement was just idiotic.

For comparison sake, we scored 49 points in our opening game last season against West. Kentucky. SDSU had a good game plan and showed every team how to stop us last year. Contain Martinez and we have an opportunity to win. Just look at what Texas did the next week to us, pretty much the same thing as SDSU, shut down Martinez and make him pass. And our receivers couldn't catch the ball bc we are a "running" team. That is why Marlowe is on the field, bc he can block, it is not bc he has play making ability at the WR position.

• Fire 1

Don't know which I would rather have, an offensive line that lets running backs get up-field but consistently gets called for holding, or an offensive line that doesn't get called for holding, lets the ground game work for some big and intermediate plays, and also doesn't get called for holding once.

Maybe they (OLine coaches) are trying to teach the guys how to block without holding, and if they didn't hold at all, well then that's at least a small victory.

I think one of the problems from yesterday was blocking at the second level. We had times where the blocking was really good to start, but then we had nobody to get to that second level and stop the backers from making tackles. There were also a couple of perimeter runs yesterday that failed because of poor blocking by a wide receiver. In many cases, one block can mean a four yard gain or a 10+ yard gain.

I agree. Although I though Enunwa did a good job. I would also say that Taylor needs to look for those cutback lanes. You won't always get the edge so if he sees that we don't have numbers he should cut up field. He did on one TD, but he could of done it a couple of other times. 2-3 yds is better than 0 or negative yards. He should also eat the ball if the pitch isn't there. Of course it's easy to say that. practice practice practice.

I'm optimistic that cotton will be fired after the season. As for our team....we are championship caliber on defense and kicking. Again. But worse on offense than last yr. Oline is awful. Saying we were simple is dumb. We couldn't push...block...or execute while being super simple ...that means we will look worse when we get more complex. Wrs can't catch and rbs are helpless without an oline. Expect to win 9 games but nothing more.

Offense looks worse than last year? OH. Really? Wow. We scored 40 points. 40. Yea it was Chattanooga, and FCS opponent. How did our offense fair against the FCS South Dakota State last year, when you said the offense was better? 17. 17 points with an offense that had a few games behind it already. This was the first game ever for some of the oline. That statement was just idiotic.

For comparison sake, we scored 49 points in our opening game last season against West. Kentucky. SDSU had a good game plan and showed every team how to stop us last year. Contain Martinez and we have an opportunity to win. Just look at what Texas did the next week to us, pretty much the same thing as SDSU, shut down Martinez and make him pass. And our receivers couldn't catch the ball bc we are a "running" team. That is why Marlowe is on the field, bc he can block, it is not bc he has play making ability at the WR position.

Chattanooga had a good gameplan. I mean really it can't get any better when it comes to scheming. 8-9 guys in the box should stop the ground game. It didn't. SDSU stopped us last year because we just weren't that good. Martinez didn't want to step up. No reliable receivers. Roy and Rex were boggled down by an inconsistent oline (still a problem) and no passing threat. This year, I believe those issues will be resolved.

You can drink the Kool-Aide all you want. Some still have the hook in there mouth from last year after Martinez shredded defenses that either sucked or hadn't figured out the predictable offense.

There is no question that there were some dropped passes and the protection still seems up and down.

He's not a QB. He looks the same as what he did at the end of last year. He does not have the dimension in his game to make it happen when in counts. He appears unsure, hesitant and unbelievably predictable. What we saw yesterday will look very familiar (no points) as the season rolls on.

Until we have a QB that is a playmaker, we will see more of the same this year. I don't know that Carnes is that guy, but I really don't know how anyone could tell from the garbage series he got at the end.

Bright spots (Turner, I-Back's, Enunwa, D-Line, Safeties, Maher).

Chattanooga had a good gameplan. I mean really it can't get any better when it comes to scheming. 8-9 guys in the box should stop the ground game. It didn't. SDSU stopped us last year because we just weren't that good. Martinez didn't want to step up. No reliable receivers. Roy and Rex were boggled down by an inconsistent oline (still a problem) and no passing threat. This year, I believe those issues will be resolved.

Really? Bc 7 days prior to that game, I remember scoring 56 points on Washington...And for the most part -3 plays, they did shut down our run game with 8-9 guys in the box. And if they had that many in the box, don't you think we would have been able to pass it on them all game long? If we can't even pass against UTC when they had 2 or 3 guys in their secondary (you said they had 9 guys in the box, so that would make 2 players in their secondary) how are we going to do it against Wiscy and tOSU? If they put 8 guys in the box and stop our run, the game is over, period.

This is what I was talking about earlier this week, being balanced. teams well sell out to stop the run against us all year long and if we can't pass, we will not win very many games. If we keep teams honest with a legitimate passing threat, it will open up the run game and teams will not be able to out 8-9 guys in the box for fear we will pass it over the top.

Really? Bc 7 days prior to that game, I remember scoring 56 points on Washington...And for the most part -3 plays, they did shut down our run game with 8-9 guys in the box. And if they had that many in the box, don't you think we would have been able to pass it on them all game long? If we can't even pass against UTC when they had 2 or 3 guys in their secondary (you said they had 9 guys in the box, so that would make 2 players in their secondary) how are we going to do it against Wiscy and tOSU? If they put 8 guys in the box and stop our run, the game is over, period.

This is what I was talking about earlier this week, being balanced. teams well sell out to stop the run against us all year long and if we can't pass, we will not win very many games. If we keep teams honest with a legitimate passing threat, it will open up the run game and teams will not be able to out 8-9 guys in the box for fear we will pass it over the top.

Yea, this team sold out and what happened? I know what you're saying. We won't be able run the ball against osu and msu and wiscy if they have 8 in the box. But I honestly think Beck was giving the oline practice. I bet when we play Fresno we'll see a lot more passing, hopefully on first down. If not, well honestly that's a playcalling fault, not oline problems or qb problems.

I knew there was a reason i didnt want to get on here to listen to all the pissing and whining, but i couldnt resist.

Its like people think we are all the sudden going to walk out there and throw like Tom Brady and run like the Steelers in the same game, because Watson is gone. Not to mention our brand new offensive cordinator calling his VERY FIRST game...for christ sake people these are 19 yr old kids out there. This isnt the NFL, they are kids, barely out of high school, what is the matter with some of you? I think most of you have never played a sport in your life, and probably just a bunch of nerds that expect a kid barely out of high school to throw the football like Brady...a professional.

Theres a reason he gets 20 mil a year, because only a hand full of people in the world can throw the ball like he can, and certainly not some kid out of high school. Some of you have way too high of expectations and need to simmer down a little.

• Fire 3

Yea, this team sold out and what happened? I know what you're saying. We won't be able run the ball against osu and msu and wiscy if they have 8 in the box. But I honestly think Beck was giving the oline practice. I bet when we play Fresno we'll see a lot more passing, hopefully on first down. If not, well honestly that's a playcalling fault, not oline problems or qb problems.

I hope so too, but at the same time, Fresno St. is not a team to get your feet wet in the passing game. They are pretty solid most years. We should have passed much more against UTC for practice reps. Now we have to run "new" plays against better competition. This is why I'm not a fan of vanilla schemes. If we can't even execute basic plays against bad defenses, how are we supposed to run more complicated schemes against better defenses? Run your BEST plays, not your EASIEST plays. And by best I mean, the plays our players feel most comfortable running and which achieve the best results. Anyone and their grandmother could tell our players did not feel comfortable running the triple option under center and our results suffered except for a few plays.

I knew there was a reason i didnt want to get on here to listen to all the pissing and whining, but i couldnt resist.

Its like people think we are all the sudden going to walk out there and throw like Tom Brady and run like the Steelers in the same game, because Watson is gone. Not to mention our brand new offensive cordinator calling his VERY FIRST game...for christ sake people these are 19 yr old kids out there. This isnt the NFL, they are kids, barely out of high school, what is the matter with some of you? I think most of you have never played a sport in your life, and probably just a bunch of nerds that expect a kid barely out of high school to throw the football like Brady...a professional.

Theres a reason he gets 20 mil a year, because only a hand full of people in the world can throw the ball like he can, and certainly not some kid out of high school. Some of you have way too high of expectations and need to simmer down a little.

Not throw like Brady the professional, just throw like the Brady the high school QB