Why so much pessimism?

The King

Let's freak out over a 33 point blowout victory. Tough break, there's always next week.

These type of responses and the "whinny" accusations are silly.

As if there is no middle ground, where a reasonable fan could have serious concerns about the offense and how much it will cost us this season. That we might not have a qb that will perform at the level we need to be a top tier team.

Nope, to say so would be "freaking out" or 'whinny"..

Please.

I remember getting told that last year too. And the year before that.

I wasn't talking to you.

He was prob. talking to me.

what some people perceive as pessimism is bizarre. There was an excellant post on another thread, can't remember who for the proper credit, that this game seemed like it was on the micro level. I think that is an excellant point. Is area(s) of concern more politically correct and inoffensive?

what some people perceive as pessimism is bizarre. There was an excellant post on another thread, can't remember who for the proper credit, that this game seemed like it was on the micro level. I think that is an excellant point. Is area(s) of concern more politically correct and inoffensive?

I think this is the post you were looking for. And you are correct - it is an excellent post.

A lot of it is at the micro level still. We had one post route in the first half that was a sure TD that Taylor threw behind the receiver and he dropped it. The middle of the field was open on that play. A nice playcall in the context of what we were showing to that point.

The play Rex ran into Taylor on the WR screen pass........Rex never should have had protection responsibilities to that side. That has to be a protection call to protect that playside with a slide protection and let Rex take backside. It doesn't really even matter if that backside gets blocked, as long as you get the hands down on the playside.

The blocking schemes on those option plays. A good option offense has to have several blocking schemes to handle that playside Safety coming down in the box. You can't give up force to the playside backer and let that Safety run free, or as we saw you don't get numbers in the option game and we spent most of the first half in that kind of situation. We made one adjustment on that here in the second half on Taylor's long run by bringing motion back towards the formation, which was nice.

It's little things on most plays, but it is a lot of little things and it is at every position right now. I think what upsets me most of all, though, is that we're not winning more one on one battles.

It's from the My 1st Half Thoughts thread.

Let's freak out over a 33 point blowout victory. Tough break, there's always next week.

These type of responses and the "whinny" accusations are silly.

As if there is no middle ground, where a reasonable fan could have serious concerns about the offense and how much it will cost us this season. That we might not have a qb that will perform at the level we need to be a top tier team.

Nope, to say so would be "freaking out" or 'whinny"..

Please.

I remember getting told that last year too. And the year before that.

I wasn't talking to you.

He was prob. talking to me.

Which is why some really smart guy invented the quote feature for message boards.

I don't think that I'm being pessimistic... I don't think I've said anything at all, so I'm not being defensive about my position, either. There are just so many different sorts of fans along the continuum (from people who see every mistake as a sign of impending, absolute collapse and failure to people who won't tolerate others' pointing out weaknesses) that it's hard to even know what constitutes "pessimism." Last year, I think a lot of us saw Martinez in the first couple games and were in an elated state (well, not counting SDSU). The team might not have been perfect, but look at this Tommie Frazier incarnation! Then things went down hill badly.

Some people might call my cautious optimism pessimism-- do I hope the Cornhuskers will do well? Of course. Am I going to make any judgements this early in the season? No. If someone were to flat out ask me what I thought at this point, I'd just say that the team (read: 'offense') came apart last season. There were signs early on but there were also signs that things could be phenomenal. I'm not going to read the tealeaves left in the cup after this game and pretend that it's anything but my own predisposition.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I'd actually gotten to SEE the game (grumble grumble-- come on Cox, get BTN2Go, already!).

I fail to see how anyone can say Oregon looked good yesterday. They got dominated. You guys look at the score and see they only lost by 13 points, but they scored tds after being down 20 on two separate drives. Down 20 late with a couple minutes left, if LSU didn't relax, the box score would've shown a blowout. Oregon has a good offense, against the weaker PAC-12. Against SEC teams, the team that averaged 40+ ppg averages 23 and their "dominant rushing game" gains less than 100 yards. James contained, O-Line gets dominated.

LSU has a great Defense, and Nebraska has a defense that can be just as good. Oregon is the prime example of why people say defense wins championships. They let LSU score 40 when LSU wasnt even trying to score 40 (it was too painfully obvious that they were playing not to lose once they got up 6 points).

LSU was the better team last night, but Oregon's offense isn't what it'll be later in the season. They have to break in some new offensive linemen and some new WRs, and they're not ready for a defense like LSU. LSU didn't have much more success than Oregon's, the difference was in Oregon's fumbles (a true freshmen had 2 of them, and Cliff Harris's replacement fumbled a punt at the goalline to give LSU a TD).

Basically, LSU won because they have a great defense and they're deeper, but mostly because they made fewer first-game mistakes than Oregon. I'm personally thrilled that Nebraska didn't have to play a team like LSU or Oregon, because we have way too many kinks to work out before we're ready to play a team like that. Oregon has more kinks to work out right now than LSU, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Oregon is a better team than LSU at the end of the year.

Oregon didn't just have a few kinks to work out... They got whooped. LSUs defense controlled the game. You say give Oregon time and they'll have a better team, they had to work in a few new linemen, a few backs and others. Nebraska started what, 7 true freshmen? Seniors get first game jitters at the beginning of every season; imagine what a true freshman must experience, having to start his first ever game. Oh yeah, we have a brand new scheme to perfect as well.

Give our guys a break. It's unfair to say "Oregon will only get better" but assume we will only get worse.

Oregon didn't look "good" last night. But overall they looked far better than Nebraska did against a much better opponent.

But that doesn't mean Nebraska will continue to play the way they did in the first game. In fact, I don't expect them to. I'm expecting to see a pretty good improvement for our next game. But I won't sit around giving a thumbs up while wearing a sh#t eating grin after we turn in a sub-par performance in many areas against an FCS opponent.

And I guarantee you that LSU wouldn't of scored 40 on us. And, you have no clue what differences we would have made in preparation for LSU. I love this thread.

Oregon played crappy, but they are going to get better - they needed to break in some young guys.

Uh hello? What's Nebraska doing? Ha.

The exact same thing, except we are breaking in EVERYONE to a brand new offense.

And FYI, penalties don't change because of who you're playing in such a drastic manner. They were sloppy. There is no way people honestly think Oregon looked like a top ten team. Even Oregon fans don't believe that!

Not sure, seeing as to how I'm on my phone, the rules of posting another message board. But try oregonlive.com.

• Fire 1

I'm not saying we played great or even good enough, but saying we are barely a top 25 team after one game is kind of pessimistic, is it not? The game wasn't even close, and we rely on the big play just as much as other teams. We got pushed around, a little, yes.

Bottom line: Oregon played like garbage vs LSU (when teams prepare for their offense it isn't at hard to defend - refer to the last 3 bowl games). And we played mediocre vs a good FCS team and still trounced them. We didn't have the turnover issues or penalty issues. I don't see how their sloppy play is better than our simplistic play that didn't provoke errors such as flags and turnovers, regardless of opponent.

I'm not saying we played great or even good enough, but saying we are barely a top 25 team after one game is kind of pessimistic, is it not? The game wasn't even close, and we rely on the big play just as much as other teams. We got pushed around, a little, yes.

Bottom line: Oregon played like garbage vs LSU (when teams prepare for their offense it isn't at hard to defend - refer to the last 3 bowl games). And we played mediocre vs a good FCS team and still trounced them. We didn't have the turnover issues or penalty issues. I don't see how their sloppy play is better than our simplistic play that didn't provoke errors such as flags and turnovers, regardless of opponent.

I think it's more realistic than it is pessimistic. Top 15 or Top 10 teams do not get pushed around up front by FCS teams. Not occasionally, not ever. Period.

The old cliche 'it all starts up front" is absolutely true. In my opinion, our OL problems will result in NU being a fringe top 25 team by the end of the season. Your opinion may differ. We'll see in a few months who is right. Personally, I hope it's you.

I think it's more realistic than it is pessimistic. Top 15 or Top 10 teams do not get pushed around up front by FCS teams. Not occasionally, not ever. Period.

The old cliche 'it all starts up front" is absolutely true. In my opinion, our OL problems will result in NU being a fringe top 25 team by the end of the season. Your opinion may differ. We'll see in a few months who is right. Personally, I hope it's you.

the new look offense looks a lot like last year's scheme.....or maybe its the same old line play?...not good.

Oh. I hope I'm right too, but I think you're taking this wrong. I think the "sky is falling" stuff should wait until at least after one game, yes? Especially with such a new staff and offense. And did you see Oklahoma vs Utah State last year? Uh...

Utah State was a middle of the road FCS team last year? Irrelevant example is irrelevant.

Also, who said the sky is falling? Saying that NU is probably closer to the 25th best team in the country than a top ten team is NOT a "sky is falling" comment. I think you might want to temper those expectations.