Why so much pessimism?

The King

I'm not saying we played great or even good enough, but saying we are barely a top 25 team after one game is kind of pessimistic, is it not? The game wasn't even close, and we rely on the big play just as much as other teams. We got pushed around, a little, yes.

Bottom line: Oregon played like garbage vs LSU (when teams prepare for their offense it isn't at hard to defend - refer to the last 3 bowl games). And we played mediocre vs a good FCS team and still trounced them. We didn't have the turnover issues or penalty issues. I don't see how their sloppy play is better than our simplistic play that didn't provoke errors such as flags and turnovers, regardless of opponent.

I think it's more realistic than it is pessimistic. Top 15 or Top 10 teams do not get pushed around up front by FCS teams. Not occasionally, not ever. Period.

The old cliche 'it all starts up front" is absolutely true. In my opinion, our OL problems will result in NU being a fringe top 25 team by the end of the season. Your opinion may differ. We'll see in a few months who is right. Personally, I hope it's you.

the new look offense looks a lot like last year's scheme.....or maybe its the same old line play?...not good.

It's not a scheme problem and it's not a play calling problem. It's a good ol' fashioned poor blocking problem. It wouldn't have mattered if we had Zombie Bill Walsh calling plays if the line fails to block.

Push all the issues to the side.........sloppy o-line play, QB issues, secondary issues, etc. We still got the W and I'll take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day of the week. If the team can find a way to get the W's, I'm good with that. Granted I'm sick of the offensive issues as well and they've been bugging us for years, but the W is what matters.

Oh. I hope I'm right too, but I think you're taking this wrong. I think the "sky is falling" stuff should wait until at least after one game, yes? Especially with such a new staff and offense. And did you see Oklahoma vs Utah State last year? Uh...

Quit. You're trying to interject common sense onto Huskerboard when there's a meltdown going on. We can't have that. When there's a meltdown, all common sense and rational arguments/discussions get thrown out the window. You MUST adhere to the "sky is falling" mantra

If it's not perfect people wanna b_tch about it. Heaven forbid you just win the game. Are we spoiled cry babies ? Yeah I care about the game and passionately love the Huskers but I have no complaints over a 40 to 7 ball game. I love it and wish every game would turn out that way, God bless the Big RED !

If it's not perfect people wanna b_tch about it. Heaven forbid you just win the game. Are we spoiled cry babies ? Yeah I care about the game and passionately love the Huskers but I have no complaints over a 40 to 7 ball game. I love it and wish every game would turn out that way, God bless the Big RED !

Love your attitude, wish I could buy into it and smoke what you're smoking...maybe I'd be a 'happier' fan that way. GBR!

• Fire 1

I felt pretty good about the team after watching the game. Here are some of my thoughts on what I saw.

As for the offense:

The offense is so young, and they're learning a whole new playbook and system this year... of course there are going to be some growing pains. I'd say that given those two facts, we're very likely to see the offense improve over the course of the season. A lot of these young guys both on the line and at the skill positions are very, very exciting players. As for returning players, Taylor looked like he was back to his form from the first part of last season, Rex looked as good as ever, and Quincy Enunwa looked like Maurice Purify v2.0. Some of those option runs were U-G-L-Y but some of the ones that Martinez and Burkhead ran actually looked pretty good I thought. Yes, the O-line needs some serious work, but again they are so young that's to be expected. Overall I was happy with what the offense accomplished. I think that the important thing is to go in with the proper expectations, and instead of fretting about the offenses mistakes, try to enjoy the opportunity to watch all of this young talent develop before your eyes. Most of these guys are going to be starting for the next 3-4 years. It'll be fun to watch them grow and improve.

As for the defense:

The secondary might not be quite as good as it was last year, but the defensive line play reminded me of '09 in terms of style and attitude and aggression. It gave me the warm and fuzzies. With guys like Meredith, Crick, and Ankrah this defensive line is blazing fast. They are going to have a lot of quarterbacks' heads swiveling this season. I'm very excited about Stafford. Much like Gomes and David, I think he is another major JUCO success story in the making on defense. That one hit he laid actually made me get up out of my chair. I had to walk that one off for a few seconds just watching it :) The linebackers were pretty mediocre; that's the one group I'm not too sure about it. We'll just have to see if those guys can step up this year, but even if they don't, I still think this is an elite defense again this year.

As for special teams:

There were some good tackles. Abdullah looked great. Maher looked AMAZING. I'm actually wondering if they dressed Henery in Maher's uniform and snuck him out on the field yesterday.

I felt pretty good about the team after watching the game. Here are some of my thoughts on what I saw.

As for the offense:

The offense is so young, and they're learning a whole new playbook and system this year... of course there are going to be some growing pains. I'd say that given those two facts, we're very likely to see the offense improve over the course of the season. A lot of these young guys both on the line and at the skill positions are very, very exciting players. As for returning players, Taylor looked like he was back to his form from the first part of last season, Rex looked as good as ever, and Quincy Enunwa looked like Maurice Purify v2.0. Some of those option runs were U-G-L-Y but some of the ones that Martinez and Burkhead ran actually looked pretty good I thought. Yes, the O-line needs some serious work, but again they are so young that's to be expected. Overall I was happy with what the offense accomplished. I think that the important thing is to go in with the proper expectations, and instead of fretting about the offenses mistakes, try to enjoy the opportunity to watch all of this young talent develop before your eyes. Most of these guys are going to be starting for the next 3-4 years. It'll be fun to watch them grow and improve.

As for the defense:

The secondary might not be quite as good as it was last year, but the defensive line play reminded me of '09 in terms of style and attitude and aggression. It gave me the warm and fuzzies. With guys like Meredith, Crick, and Ankrah this defensive line is blazing fast. They are going to have a lot of quarterbacks' heads swiveling this season. I'm very excited about Stafford. Much like Gomes and David, I think he is another major JUCO success story in the making on defense. That one hit he laid actually made me get up out of my chair. I had to walk that one off for a few seconds just watching it :) The linebackers were pretty mediocre; that's the one group I'm not too sure about it. We'll just have to see if those guys can step up this year, but even if they don't, I still think this is an elite defense again this year.

As for special teams:

There were some good tackles. Abdullah looked great. Maher looked AMAZING. I'm actually wondering if they dressed Henery in Maher's uniform and snuck him out on the field yesterday.

Have to agree. Loved the passion Abdullah showed, mostly with blocking. Maybe I was excited about his blocking just because no one else would. That was worth a ton and then some in my book. He played position football.