What were your expectations?

ladyhawke

Did I have coffee with you this AM, ladyhawke? We were just talking about this at the coffee shop, how the only way to explain the level of disappointment we're seeing after a 33-point blowout win is that the expectations of those disappointed simply weren't met. People expected something other than what they saw, therefore the result - no matter how positive - becomes a negative.

There's a whole branch of psychology that deals with unrealized expectations. You'll find a lot of this kind of discussion in marriage counseling, where neither party is really doing anything wrong, they're just not doing what the disaffected partner(s) expect(s).

I walked into this game expecting to see a ragged offensive performance. I expected to see trouble in the kicking game, and a strong showing by the defense. My expectations were met by the offense (mostly), I was blown away by Maher's ability to vastly exceed my expectations, and overall the defense met my expectations based on Dennard's injury and what I've seen of them the last couple of years under Bo. The fact that I'm not reacting negatively to the game is probably best explained by looking at those expectations.

Nail on the head. I was surprised so many people expected our offense to run like a well-oiled machine the first day out with a new offense, new coordinator, new position coaches, new system of calling plays, 4 new starters on the offensive line, a handful of kids who were in high school a few months ago, ect.

I got about what I expected across the board. Maher exceeded expectations. I was glad ball security and penalties seemed improved. There were still fumbles, but none of them were because of the way the ball was being carried. I expected a better showing out of the offensive line, I expected a better showing from BK and Stien also. Definately lots of things to clean up on all three phases of the game, but that's pretty much what I expected.

Do you think we expected a better offense because of all the media hype? It seemed like every time I turned on the radio or tv some sports person was saying that they heard that the coaches were all bragging about how good the offense was doing in practice. So, for my part, I expected that the offense would be greatly improved. They did show some improvement but everything is new. One of the things I did enjoy was the change in Martinez's attitude on the sidelines. He was smiling, talking with the other players. That was great!

I agree with you, I think we will get better!

I can't speak for anyone, so I can't answer that. If it is the case, I find it comically ironic that people who seem to have animosity towards the team, because of unrealized expectations, are often the ones who call people out for "drinking the Kool-Aid".

One of the things I did enjoy was the change in Martinez's attitude on the sidelines. He was smiling, talking with the other players. That was great!

He did that most games last year. I get sick of hearing about this.

I wanted a shutout, but I'm not really that disappointed about it. They are hard to get against any team. We've had one shut out in the past 2 years and we have one of the best defenses in the country. Tennessee-Chattanooga scored 21 points against Auburn last year. Only two top 25 teams had shutouts this weekend. One of them was Ohio State against Akron. You could argue that at least Akron was division I, but they went 1-11 last year in the MAC. I'd wager that Tennessee-Chattanooga would play with them all 4 quarters. (In fact, Akron lost to an FCS team last year)

Do you think we expected a better offense because of all the media hype? It seemed like every time I turned on the radio or tv some sports person was saying that they heard that the coaches were all bragging about how good the offense was doing in practice. So, for my part, I expected that the offense would be greatly improved. They did show some improvement but everything is new. One of the things I did enjoy was the change in Martinez's attitude on the sidelines. He was smiling, talking with the other players. That was great!

I agree with you, I think we will get better!

The media reports I read said we were inconsistent. Bo said that almost daily. I think waaaaaay to many people though that by simply canning Watson, we'd score 56 pts a game. Not gonna happen.

P.S. I suggest you start paying attention to the broadcasts, because Taylor did that in every single game last year. Every one.

What were your expectations? What did you hope to see at this game?

Here's what I was expecting/looking for:

• dominant D-line: check (pretty much, anyway)
  • Ankrah in first starting role: check; looked good, real good
  • improved O-line: jury is still out
  • Tyler Moore in first starting role: check; good, I think--but I'll need to go back and watch more.
  • a bunch of freshman getting PT: check
  • tinkering around on the offense to see what works: check
  • LB play: don't know--David looked great, of course. Don't know about the rest
  • fewer penalties: check
  • fewer fumbles/turnovers: ehh..not so much
  • Martinez improved passing attack: CHECK!
  • receivers catching the ball: some good, some not
  • Martinez improved running the option: check
  • Carnes running the offense: ehhh..don't know yet
  • Bondi's leg: Saw Maher instead. Looking very good in kicking/punting.
  • fans bitching and moaning about looking rusty in first game: check

Looks on the money to me. All things considered I'll take it for our 1st game with a new OC & scheme.

ladyhawke - did you expect an upset or did you expect a perfect game?

I hate to admit it but I expected an upset. I just had a weird feeling of unrest that I couldn't shake. When we almost fumbled the kick off return I started to panic!

For me, I have to let go of last year and just expect the boys to play the best they can. My only hope and true expectation is that they be competitive in every game they play.

ladyhawke - did you expect an upset or did you expect a perfect game?

I hate to admit it but I expected an upset. I just had a weird feeling of unrest that I couldn't shake. When we almost fumbled the kick off return I started to panic!

For me, I have to let go of last year and just expect the boys to play the best they can. My only hope and true expectation is that they be competitive in every game they play.

if you really expected an upset, you should be pretty happy with the actual results.