The Players Get It

knapplc

I'm still a little awestruck at how badly and how fast people are piling on like we just witnessed the entire 2007 season in one game. For my part, I look at the non conference schedule as a unit, a whole that is judged. I see no possible way to make a fair assessment about the season or the offense when your only measuring stick is a blowout win against an overmatched opponent, especially when you have two coaches and several players on record as saying they weren't running the offense so much as practicing plays. Translation: we saw a relatively lousy day at practice.

Now if we're staggering out of a ten point win over Wyoming having dropped one to Washington at home, by all means I'll be belly flopping on the panic button. How people are doing it already after watching such a predictably imperfect opener is just beyond me. I've heard some real lunacy thrown out there.

Our offense is not going to carry the team this year any more than it carried it last year. We're too young, too inexperienced. The job of the offense this year is to not implode and make us rely solely on our defense. Its job is to progress to the point where it can score upwards of twenty points a game (an easier task than I thought with Maher breaking out).

lol! Love that..."2007 in one game".....:clap

Yeah, it's really something. First game and they're in a frenzy already.....Bo sucks, Tmart sucks, Barney sucks, TO sucks.......over & over & over. haha...

The year just started too......if we lose to anybody this year the damn will break wide open. I think I now understand why those coaches get monster sized $$$. One would have to be crazy otherwise to coach div1 cfb. Oh boy.....hang on!!

:koolaid2:

Funny that people are saying that if we barely won, then they would be more upset. But 3 out of the 4.5 touchdowns that we had were from Taylor, just like last year. If he was stopped, we would have won only by 10 points Are we going to have to depend on him again thru this entire season? Taylor needs to be a QB and we need the rest of the team to do their jobs.

although i don't care for your creepy avatar, this is a good point. i remember my friend always being upset because the only time we scored would be on long runs from the zone read, mostly by t-mart. he was mad that we never could sustain a drive. score a td after running 12 plays. and that is something to be concerned about. first, it puts t-mart out to get injured if he is doing all of the heavy lifting. second, ball control is extremely important when you rely on your defense as much as we do. they need to rest as much as they can so they can go strong for the three and out. they've demonstrated herculean efforts that last couple of years with how stout they have played when they have been on the field for so much of the game.

I'm still a little awestruck at how badly and how fast people are piling on like we just witnessed the entire 2007 season in one game.

Amen! This is weird. We won the game. We won by 4.5 touchdowns. There was never a single moment in that game where the outcome was in doubt. We clearly and obviously played a very vanilla game on both sides of the ball (with a couple of blitzes and a Burkhead pass attempt thrown in). Yet despite this, people are almost in mourning.

It makes no sense.

How do you score .5 touchdowns???

One official on the sideline signals TD while the other one doesn't :sarcasm

Funny that people are saying that if we barely won, then they would be more upset. But 3 out of the 4.5 touchdowns that we had were from Taylor, just like last year. If he was stopped, we would have won only by 10 points Are we going to have to depend on him again thru this entire season? Taylor needs to be a QB and we need the rest of the team to do their jobs.

although i don't care for your creepy avatar, this is a good point. i remember my friend always being upset because the only time we scored would be on long runs from the zone read, mostly by t-mart. he was mad that we never could sustain a drive. score a td after running 12 plays. and that is something to be concerned about. first, it puts t-mart out to get injured if he is doing all of the heavy lifting. second, ball control is extremely important when you rely on your defense as much as we do. they need to rest as much as they can so they can go strong for the three and out. they've demonstrated herculean efforts that last couple of years with how stout they have played when they have been on the field for so much of the game.

I bet he was ecstatic as hell when Rex broke that big run and everyone thought he scored. Wasn't he?

Honestly...I think more people have a problem that Taylor is the one scoring on those plays because they want him to fail. It was my understanding there was lots of negativity in the stands regarding Taylor more so than even what Lord got. Not even objective criticism but from the first play of they were all over his a$$. I also heard that many people were pretty deflated when Carnes came in and didn't do crap with his first series. They were just waiting to call the coaches out for sitting that kid. Well folks. . .maybe the coaches know what's right and Husker fan needs to get over themselves.

• Fire 2

It seems like every year most Husker fans have a love interest in the back up QB and its getting old. The last two years it was Cody Green and this year its Brion Carnes. News flash Cody Green was a bust and transferred while Brion Carnes didn't look good against a team as most of you have referred to as a scrimmage team. But its OK not to harp on Carnes because you have a crush on him and he looked good in the spring game.

Fans need to remember that last year Martinez was a Freshman. This year he's a Sophmore and not a Junior w/ 2 years under his belt or a Senior w/ 3 years under his belt.

In time Martinez will grow into a better QB but it won't happen over night. Watching the game more I could see that he has worked on his passing motion and his presence in the pocket. Does he still need improvment? Of course he does but I think we all can agree that Martinez looked better throwing the ball and in the pocket than he did a year ago.

I bet he was ecstatic as hell when Rex broke that big run and everyone thought he scored. Wasn't he?

Honestly...I think more people have a problem that Taylor is the one scoring on those plays because they want him to fail. It was my understanding there was lots of negativity in the stands regarding Taylor more so than even what Lord got. Not even objective criticism but from the first play of they were all over his a$$. I also heard that many people were pretty deflated when Carnes came in and didn't do crap with his first series. They were just waiting to call the coaches out for sitting that kid. Well folks. . .maybe the coaches know what's right and Husker fan needs to get over themselves.

Bingo.

That's the simple truth of it. Oh, of course they'll deny it until their dying day but their endless posts dissing the kid for anything under the sun tell the real story. If Carnes hadn't looked so horrible they would be up in arms & pitchforks demanding his starting at qb "now".

It's no wonder why Bo wants nothing to do with the media and fans.

Honestly...I think more people have a problem that Taylor is the one scoring on those plays because they want him to fail. It was my understanding there was lots of negativity in the stands regarding Taylor more so than even what Lord got. Not even objective criticism but from the first play of they were all over his a$. I also heard that many people were pretty deflated when Carnes came in and didn't do crap with his first series. They were just waiting to call the coaches out for sitting that kid. Well folks. . .maybe the coaches know what's right and Husker fan needs to get over themselves.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

This is so true, and yet so many of our so called fans don't realize what they're doing. It's quite sad.

I definitely don't want Martinez to fail, but I am still in the group that doesn't want to see him score that often. I believe him running 19 or more times a game is going to result in severe problems for us in the future.

I definitely don't want Martinez to fail, but I am still in the group that doesn't want to see him score that often. I believe him running 19 or more times a game is going to result in severe problems for us in the future.

I'll have a problem as soon as it becomes a ball hog issue. Saturday it was because that was the read or because the play broke down and he had to do something. Sometimes you have more than one option and then it always makes sense to not hand it off or pitch it and risk an exchange problem. But the day it comes when he keeps the ball to help his Heisman numbers instead of giving it to the fullback or pitch man even though the read was there and he hurts the offense its an issue and I'll say as much.

That's great that they 'get it'. Now...do something about it.

All this talk is great; actually doing something about it would be better.

Actions speak louder than words...

Now...can they back it?

What the hell, people...how bout you give them a chance to show their actions (Fresno State) before you blast them for only having words.

• Fire 4

That's great that they 'get it'. Now...do something about it.

All this talk is great; actually doing something about it would be better.

Actions speak louder than words...

Now...can they back it?

What the hell, people...how bout you give them a chance to show their actions (Fresno State) before you blast them for only having words.

i thought the same thing. calling out players for saying they want to do better, shameful. i mean, tough talk from guys on their couches and poorly lit offices.