Bowl system "chaos" if Big 12 implodes

NUance

Bowl system will be "chaos" if Big 12 implodes

by Brett McMurphy; www.cnnsi.com Posted on: September 7, 2011 6:56 pm

If the Big 12 implodes next season by Texas A&M leaving for the SEC and more Big 12 teams leaving for other leagues, it would open up a BCSbowl spot for an at-large team but also would have an even greater impact on the bowl system. "If the Big 12 isn't around next year, I can sum up the bowl system in one word: chaos," a college football industry source told CBSSports.com.

The Fiesta Bowl gets the Big 12 champion, if it doesn’t finish among the top two in the final BCS standings, as its "anchor" team. However without a Big 12 Conference, the Fiesta would be left to choose two at-large teams.

But it wouldn't be that simple. A major question would be when would the Fiesta Bowl get its first pick of at-large teams? The BCS by-laws are currently set up so that the five bowls – BCS, Rose, Fiesta, Orange and Sugar – have a set rotation each year to fill their bowls. Without a Big 12 champion would the Fiesta Bowl get the first at-large pick overall or have to wait until the last pick?

LINK

why not scratch the current BCS system? :dunno If I was able to make the rules I'd have the top 10 teams battle eachother in a playoff while the rest of teams that would've been bowl eligibe continue in their little bowl games. That way the smaller schools get their money from the bowls and we are able to crown a true champion! Seems like it should work out, but of course something else will happen or the current system will continue while I just watch :snacks:

More importantly you need to consider all of the other bowl tie-ins that the Big XII is holding. What do all of the Big XII bowls do? Who fills the Alamo and Cotton bowls? Who do they turn to? Some conferences are probably already in contractual tie-ins for a few years with their bowls. You could really screw over a number of bowls in the process.