Most Impressed with so far

dawhuskerkc

I apologize in advance as this is my first ever post after quite a while as a reader only.

I am impressed that the new play calling methods and the lack of a huddle have seemed to have a very positive effect on the readiness of our offense. I became soooooo disgusted with slow play calling, a hurried huddle, racing to the line of scrimage, no time to audible, delay of game, illegal procedure, late time outs etc.

In the past, there appeared to be several times during each game which I questioned if some of the players even knew the count/play/situation/who to block because they were in such a hurry to make sure they got the play run in time.

Being a former high school football coach for 10 years, I believed that keeping a consistent offensive rhythm was important for the players and their confidence. I believe this new methodology has had some effect on the improved execution of our offense.

Comments please.

1. Maher - I can't remember the last time we didn't have a GREAT kicker. Of course, I'm only 23, so I wasn't around for as much as some of you. I was a little concerned about this coming into the season, simply because replacing a leg like Henery is near impossible. I'm not saying that Maher is as good as Henery (yet), but after seeing the first 3 games, I'm not worried about our kicking game hurting us at all.

2. Abdullah - Can this kid fly or WHAT?! :zoom Yes, he's young and has a lot to learn still, but I am very excited to see how he develops over the next few years. I would love to watch defenses try to come up with a way to effectively cover a Husker backfield With Martinez, Burkhead, and Abdullah on the field at the same time

I apologize in advance as this is my first ever post after quite a while as a reader only.

I am impressed that the new play calling methods and the lack of a huddle have seemed to have a very positive effect on the readiness of our offense. I became soooooo disgusted with slow play calling, a hurried huddle, racing to the line of scrimage, no time to audible, delay of game, illegal procedure, late time outs etc.

In the past, there appeared to be several times during each game which I questioned if some of the players even knew the count/play/situation/who to block because they were in such a hurry to make sure they got the play run in time.

Being a former high school football coach for 10 years, I believed that keeping a consistent offensive rhythm was important for the players and their confidence. I believe this new methodology has had some effect on the improved execution of our offense.

Comments please.

I like that you mention the playcalling and being up to the line in time to audible. I believe being able to audible is the most effective way to run an offense. Some plays can be executed to perfection, but if the defense is in the right call then it still won't work. Being able to check out of a play based on what the defense is showing is huge and was a big part of Osborne's offense as well.

I am impressed with Choi...saw him blocking down field and sticking with his blocks quite a few times. Then there is Abdullah...he is a threat to take it to the house and has the "it" factor.

The most impressive thing to me?

13 penalties through three games for 118 total penalty yards for a 39.3 a game average and zero games with more than 5 penalties.

Last year Nebraska averaged 70.9 penalty yards per game, had six or more penalties in 13 of 14 games last year and at least 75 penalty yards in 6 games.

That's a BIG drop and I Like it.