Madison Experience

Here is my experience. Friday night we went down to State St for some bar hopping. Nothing unusual about the night. We had the usual idiots who told us to F'n leave and that Nebraska sucked, but we also had some very good conversation and found the majority of the people there to be friendly. We even shared a van back to our hotel with Wisconsin fans and laughed and had a good time...Then was post game...

I am not kidding. I bet that 6 out of 10 people we passed on the walk back to our hotel were incredibly rude, classless, vulgar, and downright angry. I can't say most of what was told to us because I'd get banned, but some of the nicer things were, "Go f'n kill yourselves" or "I hope you die in a car crash on the way back to Nebraska". I think I heard Nebraska sucked about 100 times.

Now, every fan base has classless jerks, but this was unbelievable. Young, old, didn't matter. 1 person. ONE, told us good game and that he can't wait to visit Lincoln next year and good luck the rest of the way. I have witnessed first hand when someone is saying similar things to a visitor in Lincoln and other Huskers jump in and tell that person to shut up, not join in like Wisconsin.

I used to root for Wisconsin as an outsider because of what I thought they embodied was similar to Nebraska. No longer will I root for them. When 60% of the fans we encountered after the game treated us the way they did, I realized they are no different then Colorado, Missery, or K-State fans. I would hate to be a visitor from a team that has been a rival for 100 yrs with Wisconsin.

Recap. Friday night was pleasant. Saturday night's post game experience offset that by an infinite amount. That is how bad it was.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your trip to Madison, that's too bad.

We know it is the 1% who screw it up for all of us. I'm going to give it a couple of trips before I pass judgement on a fan base. I save the " Just like CU" for the real sCUm .

To be honest I don't think your opinion will improve. The students will be students, we are known for having...hmmm how should I say, passionate...fans. All I can do is apologize and tell you that if you ran into me it would've been different.

The funny thing about this is the local economic impact, and how sh**ty fans of the home team impact the local economy.

I avoided heading up to Wisconsin, and the fan base hearsay was a big part of that. Same with Penn State. In either scenario, after food, drinks, lodging, tickets, souvenirs, etc., a long weekend/mini vacation could easily turn into a couple thousand dollars. That's money in the pockets of local home-team, home-state business owners. The same people who employ friends, family, and probably even some of these fans we hear about.

As someone that works at a mom-and-pop business in Omaha, I can't tell you how happy I am when we get large traveling crowd for sports matches. We can double or even triple our revenue from those types of events. That is money that helps our company stay successful. Many of the traveling fans with whom I have spoken talk about our hospitality and the friendliness of the people around here. Well, as much as other fan bases give us flak, that puts money in our pockets, and I'll keep doing it if it brings opposing fans who spend their dollars at my store.

These drunk dip-sh#ts are doing nothing but strutting their feathers and hurting their own economy by acting like this.

Why would I go spend my hard earned money somewhere where I can be called names and harassed. No Thanks. Thats my take from this.

The funny thing about this is the local economic impact, and how sh**ty fans of the home team impact the local economy.

I avoided heading up to Wisconsin, and the fan base hearsay was a big part of that. Same with Penn State. In either scenario, after food, drinks, lodging, tickets, souvenirs, etc., a long weekend/mini vacation could easily turn into a couple thousand dollars. That's money in the pockets of local home-team, home-state business owners. The same people who employ friends, family, and probably even some of these fans we hear about.

As someone that works at a mom-and-pop business in Omaha, I can't tell you how happy I am when we get large traveling crowd for sports matches. We can double or even triple our revenue from those types of events. That is money that helps our company stay successful. Many of the traveling fans with whom I have spoken talk about our hospitality and the friendliness of the people around here. Well, as much as other fan bases give us flak, that puts money in our pockets, and I'll keep doing it if it brings opposing fans who spend their dollars at my store.

These drunk dip-sh#ts are doing nothing but strutting their feathers and hurting their own economy by acting like this.

Why would I go spend my hard earned money somewhere where I can be called names and harassed. No Thanks. Thats my take from this.

But then you're assuming that the store owners themselves are the ones harassing you.

I have to ask, what exactly do you guys want when you travel?

I went to an SEC school for my undergrad and saw many of the things mentioned above and worse (LSU especially comes to mind as does UGA). Maybe your expectations are a bit off. After all, you are invading another team's home, do you want to be coddled?

What schools have you found to be welcoming and hospitable to visitors? UT? OU?

I guess I just expected more from Wisconsin fans. NU/UW have no real history in football. There should be no bad blood. Barry Alvarez is a former Husker and turned UW around. Like I said, Friday night, we met some pretty cool UW fans and shared drinks, laughs, and our mutual dislike of Iowa. Then after the game, I was just astounded at the anger towards us. It was like Nebraska just won by 40 points instead of the other way around. I wouldn't have even wrote the OP if it didn't seem like EVERY fan had something awful to say to us. Groups of 2 or groups of 20. Each group was just down right angry and let us hear it.

Now, I'm not saying you won't hear similar stuff in Lincoln next year. The big difference is that it will be the exception to the rule, not coming from virtually every person you walk past.

I will never go to a game in Madison again for that reason. I don't expect to be coddled and treated with kid gloves, but I don't expect to have every person you walk past treat you like garbage either. I also would have had nicer things to say if just 1 UW fan would have stood up for us and told the others to shut up, like you will see in Lincoln, or if perhaps, more than 1 person would have told us good game.

Here is my experience. Friday night we went down to State St for some bar hopping. Nothing unusual about the night. We had the usual idiots who told us to F'n leave and that Nebraska sucked, but we also had some very good conversation and found the majority of the people there to be friendly. We even shared a van back to our hotel with Wisconsin fans and laughed and had a good time...Then was post game...

I am not kidding. I bet that 6 out of 10 people we passed on the walk back to our hotel were incredibly rude, classless, vulgar, and downright angry. I can't say most of what was told to us because I'd get banned, but some of the nicer things were, "Go f'n kill yourselves" or "I hope you die in a car crash on the way back to Nebraska". I think I heard Nebraska sucked about 100 times.

Now, every fan base has classless jerks, but this was unbelievable. Young, old, didn't matter. 1 person. ONE, told us good game and that he can't wait to visit Lincoln next year and good luck the rest of the way. I have witnessed first hand when someone is saying similar things to a visitor in Lincoln and other Huskers jump in and tell that person to shut up, not join in like Wisconsin.

I used to root for Wisconsin as an outsider because of what I thought they embodied was similar to Nebraska. No longer will I root for them. When 60% of the fans we encountered after the game treated us the way they did, I realized they are no different then Colorado, Missery, or K-State fans. I would hate to be a visitor from a team that has been a rival for 100 yrs with Wisconsin.

Recap. Friday night was pleasant. Saturday night's post game experience offset that by an infinite amount. That is how bad it was.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your trip to Madison, that's too bad.

We know it is the 1% who screw it up for all of us. I'm going to give it a couple of trips before I pass judgement on a fan base. I save the " Just like CU" for the real sCUm .

1%? It wasn't 1%. Like I said, it was well over half of the people treated us like we just got done molesting their children.

Oh, the "If we're not nice to Nebraska you'll hold our economy hostage" card. Most people don't care, including myself. You're better off appealing to my sense of human decency than my pocketbook. that's just me.

To be honest I don't think your opinion will improve. The students will be students, we are known for having...hmmm how should I say, passionate...fans. All I can do is apologize and tell you that if you ran into me it would've been different.

Students are going to be tough anywhere you go, but when the causal fan is a complete jack-ass then you really have something special. It was a tough night last night for the Sker's and the fan base and I'm going to take everything about yesterday with a grain of salt.

Oh, the "If we're not nice to Nebraska you'll hold our economy hostage" card. Most people don't care, including myself. You're better off appealing to my sense of human decency than my pocketbook. that's just me.

I'm holding no one hostage. But as a small business manager, I can tell you that I'll take every penny I can get. And driving any customer away is never something I would do. But to each his own I guess.

I went to an SEC school for my undergrad and saw many of the things mentioned above and worse (LSU especially comes to mind as does UGA). Maybe your expectations are a bit off. After all, you are invading another team's home, do you want to be coddled?

I guess I just expected more from Wisconsin fans. NU/UW have no real history in football. There should be no bad blood. Barry Alvarez is a former Husker and turned UW around. Like I said, Friday night, we met some pretty cool UW fans and shared drinks, laughs, and our mutual dislike of Iowa. Then after the game, I was just astounded at the anger towards us. It was like Nebraska just won by 40 points instead of the other way around. I wouldn't have even wrote the OP if it didn't seem like EVERY fan had something awful to say to us. Groups of 2 or groups of 20. Each group was just down right angry and let us hear it.

Now, I'm not saying you won't hear similar stuff in Lincoln next year. The big difference is that it will be the exception to the rule, not coming from virtually every person you walk past.

I will never go to a game in Madison again for that reason. I don't expect to be coddled and treated with kid gloves, but I don't expect to have every person you walk past treat you like garbage either. I also would have had nicer things to say if just 1 UW fan would have stood up for us and told the others to shut up, like you will see in Lincoln, or if perhaps, more than 1 person would have told us good game.

I am really tired of hearing the Alvarez connection argument. Alvarez hasn't coached UW in more than a half-decade. This is Brett's team now and using your logic we should suck up to Iowa and the Hayden Fry tree now since we owe ALL our success to them now. What a bunch of crap, we're our own team. When Clemson played Auburn a few weeks back did you hear Auburn fans saying how Clemson owed them for Walter Riggs? Does UF owe Georgia Tech because of Spurrier's time in Atlanta? Do you guys owe Wyoming and MSU? No. Like I said we're our own team. Arguments like these and that picture of our "trophy case" posted in here are just stupid.

/endrant

I am really tired of hearing the Alvarez connection argument. Alvarez hasn't coached UW in more than a half-decade. This is Brett's team now and using your logic we should suck up to Iowa and the Hayden Fry tree now since we owe ALL our success to them now. What a bunch of crap, we're our own team. When Clemson played Auburn a few weeks back did you hear Auburn fans saying how Clemson owed them for Walter Riggs? Does UF owe Georgia Tech because of Spurrier's time in Atlanta? Like I said we're our own team. Arguments like these and that picture of our "trophy case" posted in here are just stupid.

/endrant

You totally misunderstood what I meant with Alvarez. I didn't mean it as you owe us anything. I tied it into the bad blood statement to show we have common bonds going back to Barry. I just don't get the anger that was directed towards us. We haven't "stolen" any National Championships from UW like Michigan and Penn State can use as the basis of their hatred.

This will be my last post on the subject. The OP asked about my experience and I shared it. I am just disappointed in the fact I was thinking UW/NU could grow into the rivalry we had with Oklahoma. Mutual respect. I didn't feel like anyone in that town respected us as human beings, let alone as Husker fans. I appreciate you saying you wish I would have had a more positive experience as do I, and I hope you make the trip to Lincoln next year and see why I really feel we have the best fans in college football.

Oh! I do have a question for Huskers fans: What the hell is up with your ultra-creepy mascot? That thing is frightening.

Yea, I was wondering that too, he gives me the "uuh ooh" feeling.

lil_red.jpg

If you're not under seven years old it's not geared toward you. Simple as that.

And while we're talking about creepy mascots, how do you guys explain this?

Bucky_Badger_no1_football01.jpg

Welcome to another Big Ten tradition. Questionable mascots. Ohio State's is downright weird.

we are going to fit in......

Were there any chairlegs that were shoved into anyone's eye sockets involved? If not, what are you bitching about?

I avoided heading up to Wisconsin, and the fan base hearsay was a big part of that. Same with Penn State.

What is odd is that PSU fans are generally considered some of the most hospitable in the B1G. I certainly found them so (we did have a jacket stolen, but that was our own fault for leaving it outside our RV over night). I have also had good experiences with Iowa, Illinois, and OSU fans over the years. At Minnesota and Northwestern, I haven't had a lot of fan interaction, but enjoyed the trip and the metro area. Michigan was a bit standoffish and boring, but not horrid by any means. I have yet to do MSU, any of the Indianas, or Lincoln. At the same time, I have heard other people tell of horrible experiences at the places I enjoyed. If the bad experiences are universal, what are the chances that I somehow escaped them all? I just find these types of discussions confusing. Do some people attract bad behavior and other deflect it or is it all random?

I have a short temper. I would've been in jail and the wiscy fan in the hospital.