Madison Experience

Agreed that UW - Nebraska will probably become a rivalry (especially if they meet in the Big Ten-CG) you guys should reserve judgement until you run into Ohio State and Michigan fans before picking your "hated rivals", there are plenty of teams to hate, just wait.

well, i don't think we need to wait to see if we prefer wisconsin as a rival over michigan or ohio state. i mean you have to respect your rival.

I can already tell this Nebraska-Big Ten marriage is going to be awkward.

Someone is going to have to replace the CU, MU, TX, OU. in our football lives and WU will surely take a heated rivals place. Iowa doesn't count because we've hated them in our real lives since 1867.

*UW, not WU. Sorry, just a small nitpick.

On that note, why do you guys call yourselves NU as opposed to UN or UNL?

Someone is going to have to replace the CU, MU, TX, OU. in our football lives and WU will surely take a heated rivals place. Iowa doesn't count because we've hated them in our real lives since 1867.

un is a prefix, and unl is more for differentiated the university system schools.

Oh! I do have a question for Huskers fans: What the hell is up with your ultra-creepy mascot? That thing is frightening.

Yea, I was wondering that too, he gives me the "uuh ooh" feeling.

lil_red.jpg

If you're not under seven years old it's not geared toward you. Simple as that.

And while we're talking about creepy mascots, how do you guys explain this?

Bucky_Badger_no1_football01.jpg

Welcome to another Big Ten tradition. Questionable mascots. Ohio State's is downright weird.

Not gonna lie... the first time I saw Ohio State play, I couldn't figure out how they got away with putting pot leaf stickers on their helmets.

Here is my experience. Friday night we went down to State St for some bar hopping. Nothing unusual about the night. We had the usual idiots who told us to F'n leave and that Nebraska sucked, but we also had some very good conversation and found the majority of the people there to be friendly. We even shared a van back to our hotel with Wisconsin fans and laughed and had a good time...Then was post game...

I am not kidding. I bet that 6 out of 10 people we passed on the walk back to our hotel were incredibly rude, classless, vulgar, and downright angry. I can't say most of what was told to us because I'd get banned, but some of the nicer things were, "Go f'n kill yourselves" or "I hope you die in a car crash on the way back to Nebraska". I think I heard Nebraska sucked about 100 times.

Now, every fan base has classless jerks, but this was unbelievable. Young, old, didn't matter. 1 person. ONE, told us good game and that he can't wait to visit Lincoln next year and good luck the rest of the way. I have witnessed first hand when someone is saying similar things to a visitor in Lincoln and other Huskers jump in and tell that person to shut up, not join in like Wisconsin.

I used to root for Wisconsin as an outsider because of what I thought they embodied was similar to Nebraska. No longer will I root for them. When 60% of the fans we encountered after the game treated us the way they did, I realized they are no different then Colorado, Missery, or K-State fans. I would hate to be a visitor from a team that has been a rival for 100 yrs with Wisconsin.

Recap. Friday night was pleasant. Saturday night's post game experience offset that by an infinite amount. That is how bad it was.

Here is my experience. Friday night we went down to State St for some bar hopping. Nothing unusual about the night. We had the usual idiots who told us to F'n leave and that Nebraska sucked, but we also had some very good conversation and found the majority of the people there to be friendly. We even shared a van back to our hotel with Wisconsin fans and laughed and had a good time...Then was post game...

I am not kidding. I bet that 6 out of 10 people we passed on the walk back to our hotel were incredibly rude, classless, vulgar, and downright angry. I can't say most of what was told to us because I'd get banned, but some of the nicer things were, "Go f'n kill yourselves" or "I hope you die in a car crash on the way back to Nebraska". I think I heard Nebraska sucked about 100 times.

Now, every fan base has classless jerks, but this was unbelievable. Young, old, didn't matter. 1 person. ONE, told us good game and that he can't wait to visit Lincoln next year and good luck the rest of the way. I have witnessed first hand when someone is saying similar things to a visitor in Lincoln and other Huskers jump in and tell that person to shut up, not join in like Wisconsin.

I used to root for Wisconsin as an outsider because of what I thought they embodied was similar to Nebraska. No longer will I root for them. When 60% of the fans we encountered after the game treated us the way they did, I realized they are no different then Colorado, Missery, or K-State fans. I would hate to be a visitor from a team that has been a rival for 100 yrs with Wisconsin.

Recap. Friday night was pleasant. Saturday night's post game experience offset that by an infinite amount. That is how bad it was.

Sorry to hear that. Really sorry.

It was a big 8 thing CU, MU, NU, KU, OU.

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your trip to Madison, that's too bad.

Madison was kind of a mixed bag for me. The run ins with students around Camp Randall were awful. I had f*** Nebraska, f*** you, and a**hole chanted at me so many times. I had multiple students even get in my face and just go off. Tried my best to just ignore them and keep walking. A majority of fans above college age were very nice. Unfortunately I sat next to some of the less kind fans during the game. The lady next to me cussed me out and flipped me off nonstop throughout the game pretty much whenever a big play happened for either team. Walking up the stairs to leave I ran in to lots of fans who thanked us for coming said some nice things and said see you in Indy. It's always easy to be nice when your up 48-17.

All that being said I'm not sure if I ever want to go back to Camp Randall. I keep telling myself that it was just worse because it was our first game in the Big Ten but I can't convince myself.

Went to the game and had a blast. I'd say 1/10 fans were bad just like any fanbase. Most would give a little crap but if you were cool about it and laughed it off they'd be cool chat with you. A couple guys yelled at us at our tailgate after the game but then came over and we shared a beer and talked football. If you have thin skin I can see one thinking theyre rude. But we had a blast going bar-hopping with a group of madison students.

I have to ask, what exactly do you guys want when you travel?

I went to an SEC school for my undergrad and saw many of the things mentioned above and worse (LSU especially comes to mind as does UGA). Maybe your expectations are a bit off. After all, you are invading another team's home, do you want to be coddled?

What schools have you found to be welcoming and hospitable to visitors? UT? OU?

I'm sorry you did not enjoy your trip to Madison, that's too bad.

We know it is the 1% who screw it up for all of us. I'm going to give it a couple of trips before I pass judgement on a fan base. I save the " Just like CU" for the real sCUm .